Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AR Headspace question

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up You guys are the best..

Once I got past buying the flying 200th pin I bought for the lower front receiver retainer cross pin, I knew we could build these things.
    One hit the wall and went in the cats food. Ate the damn thing before I could grab it.
    I told Sasquatch too wait on the gas tube, but he really is 6' 5", 400+ pounds so who am I too stop him.
    Damn. Now I am into building ARs.. Mo parts, mo money.. Just what I don't need, or have..
    I will put picts. up if I can remember.
    Thanks guys. I am sure we will have some more questions..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Glad to see u didnt have a corinary or something. I have only built one ar and it was like those snap-fit model airplanes they used to sell at wally world. With the ak prices going up and the ar prices going down I may start buildin a few. U may still want to check into that life alert thing-HELP, I'VE FALLEN AND CANT REACH MY BEER!
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Fourth, to put the front pin in easy, make a slave pin for it. Take a rod that fits in the hole snugly and drill a hole through it so you can install the detent pin and spring through the hole. Drop the parts in the hole and push them in with a pin or allen wrench, then twist the hole out of alignment, capturing the detent. Shove the real pin in, pushing out the slave pin and the detent has nowhere to go but where it belongs.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mtdew View Post
    Glad to see u didnt have a corinary or something. I have only built one ar and it was like those snap-fit model airplanes they used to sell at wally world. With the ak prices going up and the ar prices going down I may start buildin a few. U may still want to check into that life alert thing-HELP, I'VE FALLEN AND CANT REACH MY BEER!
    Yeah mtdew, I did kind of go face down.. My nose must have hit the send button on the damn keyboard.
    I should put the life alert on my face. Yesterday I went face down off the ladder trimming the orange tree. Who cares if people laugh, it could save my life.

Kernel good tip on that, those pins can take a mans eye out at a hundred yards if used properly.

Oh God please. Now that I see how easy these ARs are too build.
    Please make me not start building them.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
    Yeah mtdew, I did kind of go face down.. My nose must have hit the send button on the damn keyboard.
    I should put the life alert on my face. Yesterday I went face down off the ladder trimming the orange tree. Who cares if people laugh, it could save my life.

Kernel good tip on that, those pins can take a mans eye out at a hundred yards if used properly.

Oh God please. Now that I see how easy these ARs are too build.
    Please make me not start building them.

are you building your own uppers yet 4th? there easy too and you only need a couple tools--

some where on the net some cash strapped ninja did a no tools build.

he cheated though he did have a barrel wrench!--LOL

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default Yes j4

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    are you building your own uppers yet 4th? there easy too and you only need a couple tools--

some where on the net some cash strapped ninja did a no tools build.

he cheated though he did have a barrel wrench!--LOL
    I told you, my idiot Bro put the gas tube on upside down.. Wont fit in the bolt tube thing.
    Told him too just bend it too fit. He wont listen.
    The weapon is at my house. He is going too Barnes and Noble today, too pick up the book..
    "AR Building for Total and Complete Drunk Idiots."
    Yeah real good friend he is. He wants me too test fire it. Yeah rite.
    I will take some picts. if he looses any meat on his face, or the bolt jams in his jib.
    I am standing way back.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Bbl wrench was the only thing I had to buy. I think I give 25 bucks or so. And a halfway decent tourqe wrench from auto zone. Padded the vice w/ leather,clamped the bbl in it and tourqued the bbl nut down,lined it up for the gas tube,done. Shoots great. Now Brownells does sell the clamp for the upper to be put in the vice. Is this the proper way to do it or what? I've seen inscructions doing it both ways.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i don't think there really is a "correct" way as long as nothing is cross threaded--and the barrel nut is tight enough and clears the gas tube--

it is easy if you have those things they make to hold the upper in a vice. browenells, midway and even amazon.com sells the things. one of the days i am going to buy um--

all i use to assemble my upper units is a $10 ex-USGI barrel wrench i bought from Numrich a few years ago.

i don't even bother to torque mine anymore i can pretty much feel when the barrel nut tight enough.

the thing to avoid is an over tight barrel nut. that makes it "fun" later--LOL

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

All I've ever used is one of those flat GI bbl nut wrenches with the hole for a 1/2" ratchet/torque wrench and slots for the flash suppressor and buffer tube. Two pieces of soft wood in the vise covered in a shop rag and lightly clamp the upper with installed carrier and crank it on.

The secret to easy removal later is use some silver colored "nev'r seize" on the threads, every auto parts store will have a little packet for use on spark plugs beside the register for a buck or so. Enough for 4-5 rifles. Never bothered to torque wrench one, just tighten by feel and align.

Get the gas tube replaced and installed correctly 4th, if the alignment is off just a little bit the two parts scrape against each other and before ya know it the tube has a flat spot on it and your gas is blowing everywhere but into the carrier key. If you're assembling your own carrier, put a drop of red loctite under the carrier key when you install and make sure you stake the screws in place, they WILL back out if you don't.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

we should make our own video.

building an AR-15 the gunco way--

first stop by the J-martz/jiffy stop for a 30 pack , smokes and beef-jerky!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.