Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Yo my Bro j4...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I've heard some discution about loose fitting upers/lowers in just about every post I seen about AR platforms. I don't really know if this is a "perscribed method" to do this or not, but it worked for me. I had an old well used Colt at one time and the upper was very loose to the lower, I did a bit of measuring with some feeler gauges and found that the copper foil tape they use for stained glass window leading ,was just the right size. Just put a line down on the top of the lower where the flats are that contact the upper and trimmed it with an xacto knife. Very soft metal, stayed in place(tape) and really tightened things up nice. Had it that way for several years and kept an eye out for any signs of excessive wear on the front pin, but never found any problem. I don't know why I haden't posted this before, brain fart I guess!! It's a reall simple "thightener upper" for the slop in the well used AR's, and the rubber wedge thingies work pretty good too. I don't remember how thick the foil tape was but it was around a couple thousands or so and the adhesive on it seems to hold it in place quite well as long as youre carefull about wiping down the lower when it's separated from the upper. The Colt also had some oblong-ing of the uppers retaining pin holes, some butcher musta had it before me Mr. Hammerman I think!! I fixed that with a larger pin and stainless bushing pressed in the upper. Was as tight as a bolt gun when it was done, but that was more of an exstream case and the perminent fix for it. Lucky it was the old small pin one. The foil works great just to stiffen up things though. Yankee injunuity, afro-engenering, n*g*er rigging, or what ever you want to call it, at it's best!!!!!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Post Gas and piston driven.

Military channel had a good show on last night, showing the difference between gas and I guess??? piston driven.
    HK??? came out with a new AR. Special Ops troops are loving the weapon, from what they are saying.
    Guy took the AR and exposed the gas systems..
    Ran 30 rounds through each different system.
    Then took a match and placed it too show the heat build up on the different systems.
    The standard AR the match lit.
    The piston driven he could hold with his hand, even the bolt.
    Was interesting.
    Stay with me on these new fangled dang blasted toys you youngguns are using.
    Been 42 long years since I used one. I am learnin.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up twa..

Were postin at the same time. But I was just thinking about those rubber wedges.
    Hell my Bud just put a grand into his AR build and it has a tad bit of movement.
    How is the weather up there?
    I am rite on the edge of putting the AC on..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i figure when the m-16 finally gets replaced it will be with some kind of modular piston driven system.

you know i had a bushmaster m-17 for years. is it just an AR-180 made into a bull-pup.

it was pretty good but i did experience a cough or two with it. it really didn't seem much cleaner either --and that was back when ammo was much better than today.

sure a piston will be better in some areas -- i wouldn't expect miracles from just having a piston though. i have an AK in 5.56 all ready anyways--LOL!

as far from those gapper things i never used them. you could probably put some tape or do a little tweeking to the lugs on the upper to tighten it up as well.

i have got a few that are super tight and a few that have a tiny amount of wiggle. they all shoot well and function well.

i wouldn't waste my time dicking with one that was just a tad loose that worked and shot well. that is really a problem for those LOOKING for a problem--

now all the cav-arms polymer lowers fit super-duper tight. if you want a fit like that your probably going to get a matched set of billet upper and lowers. cost mucho $$ just to get out that tiny wiggle--AND it won't shoot a damn bit better than the loose one.

maybe a little black tape in the right spot would do the same for $0.02?????

CDNN was giving away gappers a while back --buy $50 in mags get a free gapper---LOL!

TWA--PS every damn one of my a1& slabside colts got that egged-out back lug and ironically some of them are super tight- dam colt likes to screw with your head!-LOL if i ever get one that ain't FUBAR it will probably be so loose it will need a shim--LOL!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
    Were postin at the same time. But I was just thinking about those rubber wedges.
    Hell my Bud just put a grand into his AR build and it has a tad bit of movement.
    How is the weather up there?
    I am rite on the edge of putting the AC on..

hows the weather? well a day of so back it was in the teens , then it warmed up to nearly 29F and started to snow. then it warmed up to 33F and started to rain.
    today the sun is out and it is warmer, the forecast is for cold rain over the weekend--if it don't snow or come up a tropical thunder storm.

at the edge of the jet stream we get about everything there is and our weather changes every 72 hours--or less--LOL

hell it may even warm up enough for the cool-aid box later--OR snow--LOL

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

hey 4th! ever consider doing a 7.62x39 shortie with one of these SMG $89 barrels?

aside from the mags you can build a 7.62x39 m4 forgery about as low dollar as anything--that is till the supply of cheap barrels dries up.

i don't know about adding a 7.62x39 on your tax stamp ?? i don't see why not but who knows what the regs are with the BATF?

i have never done a 14.5" 7.62x39 ar-15 upper before all mine have been 16" with CAR gas. can't see any reason not to do the 7.62 in the 14.5"--other than not having a batf tax stamp OR a welded/pinned FH for a 16" and you'll need a more weighty buffer -- i been adding fishing weights to mine--

i think pirate has done some 10" SBRs in 7.62x39 / haven't seen pirate in a while--

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    hey 4th! ever consider doing a 7.62x39 shortie with one of these SMG $89 barrels?

aside from the mags you can build a 7.62x39 m4 forgery about as low dollar as anything--that is till the supply of cheap barrels dries up.

i don't know about adding a 7.62x39 on your tax stamp ?? i don't see why not but who knows what the regs are with the BATF?

i have never done a 14.5" 7.62x39 ar-15 upper before all mine have been 16" with CAR gas. can't see any reason not to do the 7.62 in the 14.5"--other than not having a batf tax stamp OR a welded/pinned FH for a 16" and you'll need a more weighty buffer -- i been adding fishing weights to mine--

i think pirate has done some 10" SBRs in 7.62x39 / haven't seen pirate in a while--
    I bought two shorties from Pirate.
    The Rock River AR and the Krink..
    Yugo Krink is the 7.62x39 I think.
    The old lady will test it and let me know.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

I bought two shorties from Pirate.
    The Rock River AR and the Krink..
    Yugo Krink is the 7.62x39 I think.
    The old lady will test it and let me know.

damn it 4th!

how about a 45acp that is direct impinged? think of a gas operated tommy-gun--LOL!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Smile Yo my Bro Home boy...

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    damn it 4th!

how about a 45acp that is direct impinged? think of a gas operated tommy-gun--LOL!
    So. About 4 years ago we have a hurricane down here..
    10 days no electrick and water.
    Who shows up to help. ??????
    No kidding.. My Bros from the U.S. Army 4th Infantry Divison.
    Troop lets me hold his M4, or whatever the hell you guys call them new fangled ray guns.
    Damn. I could just about hold it up. Heavy...
    So I go in the store where their set up.
    Beer time. Magazines, whatever the hell these boys needed..
    Their C.O. sent me a letter of thanks for getting them drunk.
    Just kidding. But he did send me a letter of thanks for the beverage.
    Damn those things are heavy...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Talking

So. About 4 years ago we have a hurricane down here..
    10 days no electrick and water.
    Who shows up to help. ??????
    No kidding.. My Bros from the U.S. Army 4th Infantry Divison.
    Troop lets me hold his M4, or whatever the hell you guys call them new fangled ray guns.
    Damn. I could just about hold it up. Heavy...
    So I go in the store where their set up.
    Beer time. Magazines, whatever the hell these boys needed..
    Their C.O. sent me a letter of thanks for getting them drunk.
    Just kidding. But he did send me a letter of thanks for the beverage.
    Damn those things are heavy...

now i tell ya why the m4 is too damn heavy --14" is WAY too much barrel-- got to crop it back to about 5"--LOL!

gosh darn it--we got enough to lug around! ice chest! beer! sandwiches! boom-box!

this DSA upper i built from parts compares pretty well to this one EXCEPT for the pin and weld FH , no MPI inspection marks and the colt M-4 double heat shield hand-guards i put on it-- cost nearly $200 smakers less than the LMT version.

don't get me wrong i love LMTs stuff. maybe if i win the lotto i can buy some more??-- i all ways wanted one of their lowers but they only sell "built" ones--

14.5" Upper Receiver Assembly 5.56 - Uppers
    Last edited by j427x; 02-17-2012 at 12:37 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.