Thread: 6.8 Suggestions

Feedback Score

Default 6.8 Suggestions

Well I think I've got Mrs.TD talked into the idea of needing a 6.8 SPC in the black rifle arsenal, so I'm starting to do my homework. Wanting a flat top, optics ready unit...the longer the barrel the better. I've looked on-line at the Barrett REC7, DPMS, RRA and Stag. Leaning toward a piston driven, which means a Barrett. Price not really an object, but always looking for the best bang for my buck (pun intended). Thoughts, ideas, suggestions, comments, experiences??

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

if it was me i would build my own upper & lower saving some cash for ammo and re-loading stuff.

AR-15s are so easy to build piston and kits are not very expensive either. you could save a ton of $$ and get the important thing--ammo.

if money is not an object maybe a SCAR or an LMT qcb piston.

have you considered building a 6.5 grendel or 300 blackout? the 300bo is getting some traction as it is just an up-cased 5.56 making it cheaper than alternative up-sized rounds for the AR. uses the same mags and bolts
    saving $$ and you can go back to 5.56 with just a barrel swap --

at least look at the 300 before you decide.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

I am NOT criticizing. I have to ask WHY you want a 6.8. The 6.5 costs about the same and has all the same down sides as a 6.8 BUT it is ballistically better then the 6.8 at all ranges and from any comparable barrel length. If you just want one, I have to agree, assemble your own with exactly the parts mix you want. If you want more "umph" then a 5.56 out to 300 yards ( and honestly how often are you going to use this at more then 300?) Then look at the 300 bo. Same mags bolts etc as 5.56 but more energy or equal energy as a 6.8. Ammo is 11$ for 20 for plinking. Plus a 16 bo has just about burnt all its powder making short barrels particularly efficent. 300 bo is booming. 6.8 is fizzling.

Just my .02. What ever caliber, whatever reason, right now there is a surplus of ar parts. I say assemble the gun of your dreams

Feedback Score

OK, this is what I'm after during this "homework" process. Haven't considered the 6.5, but after reading up on it, that bitch is still supersonic out to 1200 yards. Not that these old eyeballs are going to be looking out that far...just looking for a round in between my 5.56 and 7.62 that ain't gonna wear me out and still tear up a milk jug at 200-300 yrds...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

DSA ZM4 Forged 7075T6 A3 AR15 Upper Receiver; 300AAC - DSZM4CBU300SS-D S Arms

now here is a nice deal on a 300 blackout upper in stainless no less.

if you want a piston retro kit can be added later for $160 ish or so.

, yea i have a 6.5g it is a great all around shooter with a lot more long range energy than any 5.56 load.

but i hate searching brush for a empty case! LOL! i like the 6.8 spc 2 pretty well but the expense of ammo/BRASS put me off.

one last think you might consider is a 7.62x39 conversion it is a little more involved than a 300BO cause you'll need a 7.62x39 bolt but a well set up one will run and bust milk jugs or deer @ 300M pretty easy.

long range with a long 20"+ barrel the 6.5G or any of its 6mm wildcats are tops in the AR-15.

the 6.8, 7.62x39 and the 300bo do about as well @ 16" as the do 20" with factory loads. the 300bo is more easy to load than the 7.62x39 and it uses standard .308 bullets--

now you have hit one of the main problems with the AR --too many rounds it can use--

Feedback Score

Yes indeed. Today I looked at a Colt chambered in a 7.62x39.....and thought, this and an AK could play together nicely...
    You're right,,,too many options

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

If youre looking at 7.62x39, tou need a different bolt, special mags, some or most of which have some issues, your ammo may be corrosive and even sp and hp often do not expand. Contrast this to equivalent ballistics of supersonic 300 blackout, standard mags, standard bolt, non corrosive, modern expanding ammo, cheap brass and bullets and cheap ammo, the BO really outshines 7.62x39.
    Oh and it has noticeably less report,recoil and flash then 7.62x39

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Products 6MM Rat ar 15 uppers 6MM Rat ar15 uppers

and you got this 6mmAR Turbo

they can pump a heavy 6mm to impressive velocity through a long barrel.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

If i was looking at out to 300 yards id pass on the 300BO. its not much differant ballisticaly than a 7.62x39 and there not very good at 300 yards. I wont take shots on deer at over 200 with it. the 300BO wont do much the 7.62x39 cant. Im not knocking the round but if you shooting jugs or targets get the faster flatter round. if there is a suppressor in the future then the 300BO is a good choice

aside from price of ammo the 6.5 grendal is the best do all round IMO. flat shooting enough for longer range work. heavy enough for hunting or combat. Id pass on the 6.8 it seems to be fizzeling and does nothing much better at short rsange over the grendal at short range. and again if targets are your main thing it has no advantages over the grendal.

300 yards is a lot further than most guys realize and most guys dont shoot past 300 with a AR except serious target guys and Varmint hunters. those guys will have fast twist 223 shooting heavy bullets and that not a bad way to go either. unfortunatly the AR has a short mag well and you cant seat heavy bullets out to there optimum length.

If I was stuck with a AR length mag well id go with the grendal or possably the 6mm AR turbo If I was a reloader.

If your shooting any thing other than a 223/5.56 you should be reloading any ways or be rich. the 300 BO is getting support by reasonable ammo as well but who knows how long that will last.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I am really liking the 6.5 grendel. Its not a miricle worker but it does outdo the other rounds in the ar15 platform at longer range. The bullet has such a good bc that it doesent lose as much vel as other rounds.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.