Gunco Forums banner

Ar15 shorties in 5.45x39 .... said what ?

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  kernelkrink 
#1 ·
okey , I got one barrel make just for my carzy idea . I had it made me a shorties 7.5 inch AR15 barrel in 5.45x39 . yes I did....
now here is questions, what part do I need to finish the front end lol( not much of AR guy ) what size of gas rod . block , front sight base, handguard. flash hider . any idea are welcome

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

See less See more
#2 ·
BJack I'd measure the barrel at the gas port and see what OD for the gas block is, you may need a adjustable gas block..JP enterprises makes a good one, I'd use a Stainless steel one.. to buck the heat..you may need a cork screw gas tube for better cycling..dwell time, sounds like a cool project.. I'd use a Hydrolic buffer for it also..so are you going to build a pistol or SBR. B2B

#4 ·
1 barrel nut , or one free float set up for pistol or CAR. free float quad rails come with their own barrel nut--

1 pistol length gas tube and pin

1 gas block --probably .750 if you go with a low profile gas block you can use a CAR free float quad rail and just have the muzzle end stick out the rails--

take a look over at JSE--they build all kinds of pistol and 7' SBR type uppers. you can sort of pick out how you want to finish that 5.45 barrel.

JSE Surplus

#5 ·
okey , I got one barrel make just for my carzy idea . I had it made me a shorties 7.5 inch AR15 barrel in 5.45x39 . yes I did....
now here is questions, what part do I need to finish the front end lol( not much of AR guy ) what size of gas rod . block , front sight base, handguard. flash hider . any idea are welcome

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Looks like a .750 at the gas port, and .950 between the gas port and the breech end. Take a micrometer to it. That is the best way to know.

#11 ·
Hell all mine are like that...
Any AR over 7 in. is a waste of metal.

bluejack. For Gods sake. You have two of the best builders in the country near you. Your friends.
Why you no take too them?
They show you what to do.
You grumpy old men fighting again. Gezzzzzz. :)

#14 ·
there is another guy talking about building 4.5" super-shortie!

i think there is a "shortie" arms race going on! HOW short can you go?

i was in the lead but my super shortie has got the gas-port in the chamber--now i got to find that special ported brass ammo--LOL!

#15 ·
I'm going to show my ignorance here, but why couldn't you make it a blow back being so short? Is it because it's not a straight walled case? I'm no expert but isn't the Desert Eagle
a modified AR bolt head? Just thinking out loud.

#16 ·
Blowback is reserved for relatively low powered rounds, a .223 to be viable as a blowback would take a 20 something pound bolt. Not practical. And the Desert Eagle is a gas operated gun, which is why the manual states only use jacketed bullets. The lead ones melt into the gas system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.