Gunco Forums banner

Korean Copy of the Beta Drum Mag- Anyone Try Them?

2K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  kernelkrink 
#1 ·
Any impressions? I'm not a huge drum mag fan, but I do like to at least have one or two just because. Given that it would just be for fun, is there any issue with getting the Korean copy for $120 versus the original for $250+??

#4 ·
I'll Google it, and see. I don't care for Arfcom. They're a bunch of snobs. If it's not the top-o-the-line big $$$$$$ product then they hate it, even if it's a decent product. Thanks J.

#8 ·
I looked them up on Sportsmans Guide, and the comments were generally favorable. Main complaint seemed to be the mag loader. Some loved it, some hated it. One guy said that if not kept clean it will jam. Other than that, the comments were positive.

I think I'm gonna buy one this week. Got a local gun show this weekend, and I'd rather pay cash local, even if it's a little more expensive. I'll see if someone carries them, if not I'll probably buy one from CDNN. Theirs are listed at $119.95 for the black back, and $129.95 for the clear back.

#10 ·
Well I went ahead and got one at the show. $129.00. I've never seen a real Beta mag up close, so I don't really know what they've done to cut corners. Basically a range/fun mag. I certainly wouldn't want to stake my life on it, especially the plastic. That being said, it seems to be ok. Checked it over and the fit and finish is not bad. Feed tower feels a bit flimsy when loaded, so I probably wouldnt leave it that way. Loaded smooth and hand cycles fine. Can't wait to hit the range. For my purposes, as long as it passes the range test, then it will be what I want. A range toy, that cost half the price of the real thing. YMMV.

#11 ·
Let us know how she runs 2ndAmendican...
Some mixed reviews when I researched it.
One guy said the spring was not as strong as the higher priced one.
But hell, every one worked fine.
Now I want one or two or three for my shorties. :)

#13 ·
Yeah, just to be on the safe side, I only loaded 80 rounds to start. Will work up from there.

#14 ·
Well hell.. 2nd...

You making us wait till the 4th of July.. :)
I have my debit card, a full charged cell phone, and ready too roll.
Squeeze that trigger. :)

#15 ·
LOl. Sorry 4th. It'll be at least the weekend before I can test it. Probably Sunday afternoon. Unfortunately I have to work my @$$ off so that the Obama supporters can sit on theirs and watch Oprah reruns.

#16 ·
Good Man.. :)
Ah hell. Come on down here. We will shoot if off the porch..
When the L.O.s show up.
"We told them damn kids too stop shooting. Little damn rug rats." :)
Don"t forget us.. Thanks Bro. 4th. From the swamps..

#17 ·
there are several differing trains of thought on building firearms and mag's.

one is everything has to be big name big $$ = quality and reliability.

the other is build it as cheap as possible and hope for the best.

solution # 1 gives predictable results and is overly costly.

solution #2 is obviously going to be less expensive yet does not give as good end results.

the best course is build or buy as good a quality as possible and still stay in the realm of known good parts and mags. (and ammo)

if you bottom feed too much you may have more work and headakes and end up spending more to fix the cheap parts, negating savings--

if you over build with name products/parts your going to spend more $$, possibly more than needed if you go too far with the name brand thing.

this is true with the ar-15/m16, the AK series and really-really true for the 1911.

i know a guy that built a 1911 on a sarco kit with an essex frame, after a year and a half of it half running he has just about replaced every part except the frame, and he has recently decided the frame must be off angle in the feed ramp.

now if this guy had been lucky he would have got a good frame and a good slide and parts kit --yet no joy on it.

--i digress--but the moral of the story is get decent quality in spec parts. they don't have to be high $$. they just have to fit and work as designed.

far too often cheap bottom feeder venders sprinkle in a few out of speck parts in with the nearly in spec parts.

if you get too many all most in spec parts along with a few slightly out of spec parts the end result will be all those little bit offs will stack up.

#18 ·
Yeah j4

I found that with the 1911 mags...
Damn cheap ones were jamming in my 1911...
I bought "Chip McCormick" mags, I think they are.
Seem too be quality built, their working fine.
Took the other ones, spent a bit smashing them with a hammer. Flat as a damn pancake.
Put em in a box and sent them back too where I bought them.
"This cheap crap I bought from you guys just aint working. Can you please fix them and mail them back, thank you."
Never did hear from them. :dunno:

#20 ·
Sorry 4th, I still haven't made it out to the range. Between work and my wifes rheumatoid arthritis I haven't had time to wipe my a$$. I promise that as soon as I try it, you'll be the first to get the report.

#21 ·
Thanks Bro...

I am not leaving the comptuer till you report.. :)
Hope your wife is o.k..
Take your time. So many guns out there, so little money.

#22 ·
4TH, this is just for you!!!!!

Took out the M4 yesterday and blasted a few rounds with the Korean "beta" mag. ZERO malfunctions. Even the cheap a$$ loader worked just fine. For a range toy, I say "go for it". YMMV.

Stupid me forgot to take the Galil out too though. So I don't know how well it'll work with the AR magwell. It fits, but I don't want to assume that it will feed properly until I actually shoot it.

So go ahead and get a couple there 4th, as long as you're not planning to take them to Trashcanistan for actual combat.

#23 ·
Great...

Thank you Bro... That is great news..
Next month we got a "buy."
Did you full load it?
Thank you much for the report. Dear God I can finally get up and leave the computer. My legs are sore.
Be great on my shorty. I am going in the gun room now too give him the good news. :)

#24 ·
No problem. No, I didn't full load it yet. 80 first time, 90 the second time. Figure next time I take it out I'll go for a full 100. Still, 90 rounds is a LOT of lead going down range, not to mention heavy. LOL. I do like how much lighter and compact the Beta style is compared to the big a$$ AK drums. In general it feels so much better balanced, and because of the design, it doesn't hang down very low.

#27 ·
step one --remove hand-guards and remove gas tube

step two --unscrew barrel nut with barrel wrench and remove barrel.

step three-- insert new barrel, tighten barrel nut, replace gas tube and gas tube pin, replace hand-guards--

step four, insert mag--start shooting!

only a little harder than the two-step! LOL:hatprop:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.