Gunco Forums banner

6mm 223 AR upper White Oak barrel

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  1biggun 
#1 · (Edited)
I built a 6mm223 (6X45) Upper using a White Oak Precision barrel a few years ago.. I had test fired it once before and zeroed the Springfield Armory scope.. but I got to really test it out this last weekend.. Varmint shooting in Oregon.. I have to say it really preformed well. I shot over 300 + rounds and I had no failures other than a magazine who's base plate came off under spring tension.. I was shooting a few different loads 95 Gr Partition 87 Gr A max 70 Gr TNT mostly used H322 powder but had a few loads using IMR 4895 also.. My specs were a white Oak Stainless Steel 20" Match heavy barrel.. I used JP enterprise stainless steel Gas block and a round Aluminum Free float hand guard with Harris Bipod. I used a Flat top Upper receiver and I mounted a Springfield Armory Range finding scope.. on it which used a GGG scope riser to get proper eye elevation.. Rings were weaver Lower was a LRB unit.. with the stock trigger installed.. during the shoot I as using an adjustable CAR type but stock.. B2B

#2 ·
ID LIKE TO KNOW HOW THAT ROUND PERFORMS WITH THE LIGHTER BULLETS LIKE THE 58 GRAIN VMAX. I WAS CONSIDERING THE ROUND FOR A AK CONVERSION. i LIKED THAT IT MIGHT BE POSSABLE DEER ROUND IN THE 100 GRAIN BULLET ( WEAK DEER ROUND) AND STILL BE A FUN VARMINT GUN WITH THE LIGHT STUFF.

HERE IS A PRETTY INTERESTING BIT OF LOAD DATA I GOT OFF THE NET SO WARNING DONT TRUST IT BUT IT SEEMS LIKE THE GUY PUT A LOT OF WORK INTO IT.

http://buckammo.com/Images/6x45_loaddata_1_1.pdf

#3 ·
I loaded some 60 Gr HOLLOW POINTS but they did not feed in my rifle so I had to shoot them single rounds.. not much fun in a semi auto.. I gave that up after my first work up loading.. Also I was using Mil surplus mixed brass..not the best idea for accuracy work.. yeah that is a good link and a lot of data and powder info... I was looking for a bit heavier bullet than the 223 offered, 80 Gr is about max with a 223 and ya need a special tight twist and such.. if I was going to go with a light bullet I don't see any advantage with the 6mm 223... SO I like the idea of the 95 gr bullet. in the 6mm223.. for a little longer range.. Did not like the Springfield Armory scope it was hard to see and the cross hairs are way too busy for varmint shooting.. but it was what was mounted at the time.. B2B

#5 ·
I've had a 6x45 for about 20 years. I've mostly only shot 60gr to 75 grain bullets. Accuracy is usually excellent as long as you do your part in reloading and shooting. Haven't shot a deer with it even though I think it would do fine if you picked your shot and kept the distance short. Both of the barrels I've owned shot hollowpoints by hornady and sierra without any issues. Every time I think about taking the 6x45 hunting I talk myself out of it because I can't come up with a situation where it would outshine my 30-06, .444, 30-30 or heck even a 762x39. After making my 357AR it is even further down the list as I plan on taking that this fall.

What were the hollowpoints catching on that was causing them to jam?

#10 ·
I had a 6x45mm barrel on an AR15 20 years ago. I noticed the newer ones now say that they have the M4 feed ramps. All of the load data I had was for lightweight bullets. These days there are bonded bullets which should work better on deer. I did load a lot of FMJ bullets just for plinking. Back then 223 was really cheap though. I think 70 grain bullets were the most common for 6x45mm when I had mine.

#11 ·
SO I like the idea of the 95 gr bullet. in the 6mm223.. for a little longer range..
WAS THINKING ABOUT THAT. IM LOOKING AT DOING A BUILD ON A AK WITH ONE OF MY LAST 223 BULGY BOLTS AND I WAS GOING TO GO WITH A REALLY FAST TWIST 223 BARREL BUT THE 6MM-223 HAS GOT ME THINKING. IF I COULD SHOOT THE 110 GRAIN TARGET STUFF (NOT SURE A STANDARD 243 TWIST BARREL RE-CHAMBERED WILL WORK) AN STILL BE ABLE TO HAVE A GOOD SPEED ON THE LIGHTER 55 & 58 GRAIN STUFF I COULD HAVCE MAY CAKE AN EAT IT TO. IT LIKELY WOULD BE THE SIMPLEST WAY TO GO WITH ALL STANDARD 223 MAGS,BOLT, RAMPS ECT. JUST A BARREL CHANGE. AND THE PRESSURES STAY AT A KNOWN SAFE LEVEL ON A TWO LUG BOLT.

IT DOSENT LOOK LIKE YOU GIVE UP ANY THING FOR SPEED OVER 223 IN FACT IT LOOKS A LITTEL FASTER ( I NEED TO REALLY CHECK APPLES TO APPLES HERE WITH SAME BARREL LENGTHS) AN THE WIND DRIFT IS BETTER WITH THE HIGHER BC BULLETS IN THE HEAVIER STUFF.

WERE I SHOOT IN SOUTH DAKOTA ON PDOGS THERE IS ALMOST ALWAYS A GOOD WIND BLOWING . RANGING LONG DISTANCE SHOOTS WITH THE 75 GRAIN 223 BULLETS IS NOT SO HARD BUT DEALING WITH THE WIND IS. I WANT TO SOOT AT AROUND 800 YARDS AN ITS REALLY PUSHING IT WITH THE SMALL 223 CASE AND POWDER CAPACITY.
I HAVE A FULL BLOWN 243 WIN SET UP IN THE WORKS ON A 308 SAIGA BUT THATS NOT A CHEAP ALTERNATIVE. I CAN REBARREL MY ALMOST SHOOT OUT 223 AK VARMNT RIFLE PRETTY EASY WITH JUST A BARREL CHANGE AN THINKING A 6MM-223 MIGHT BE SLIGHTLY BETTTER IN THE 300 TO 800 YARD RANGE. I RELOAD SO AMMO IS GOING TO COST THE SAME. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

#12 ·
I have a box of the 107 Match kings that I want to try, and that was the heaviest bullet I was going to use in my gun but.. It's gonna be really hard to get it into mag length in the AR magazine.. and powder capacity is also a issue.. I use H322 and H355 because it used less powder to get the same velocities.. I haven't done it yet.. as i have about 20 projects and other stuff, and no time to tinker.. these days.. The loads and bullets I've used was H322 23.5 Gr 87 Gr Hornady V/A max Loaded on 112/10/07 imr 4895 26 Gr 70 Gr speer TNT hollow point.. loaded 8/20/06 24 Gr H322 24 gr and 85 Gr & a 95 Gr Nosler Partition Soft point.. 2/23/09 B2B

#13 ·
It's gonna be really hard to get it into mag length in the AR magazine..
YEA THATS WHY IM THINKING ON Ak PLATFORM..

I HAVE A IDEA FOR A MAG THAT SLIGHTLY LONGER THAN STOCK TO ALLOW A 2.70 OR MORE LOADED LENGTH. I WAS MESSING WITH THE 75 GRAIN AMAX IN 22 CAL AND WAS ABLE TO GO LONGER THAN A AR MAG WOULD ALLOW BUT A LITTLE MORE ROOM WOULD BE NICE. ITS A SHAME THE AR IS SO MAG LENGTH RESTRICTED.

WHAT TWIST DO THOSE 107 GR MATCH KINGS NEED???????? i HAVE ABOUT 10 FACTORY 243 WIN M700 BARREL SITTING HERE THAT COULD BE RECHAMBERED. NOT SURE IF THEY WILL STABALIZE OVER A 100 GRAIN HUNTING BULLET THOUGH.

IM THINKING THEY WOULD BE GREAT FOR A LIGHT WEIGHT SPORTER TYPE AK SHOOTING THE 100 GRAIN STUFF AN LIGHTER.

WISH I HAD THE REAMER AND DIES. ILL HAVE TO START LOOKING.

#14 ·
I'm not sure what twist rate the 107's need but if i remember right it has been a few years past. I ordered a 1-8" or 1-7 twist on my 6mm223 barrel.. at the time it was the ability to run a 90-95 Gr bullet at mag length and maybe 107 at single round length for the CMP matches but that didn't ever happen. I stopped shooting high power matches and mostly the upper just sat around.. as I was so busy with work I didn't shoot much.. I think I'll load some 107's up and see what kind of groups I can shoot with them.... .. B2B

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.