Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: the jr 45 carbine??

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I've always thought about a AR platform in 45,,,, but in L C ,,,,now if you could get past the stright wall cases and rimmed base the 45 Long Colt would be the CATS ASS!!!!! And balistacally puts the ACP to shame!! Ya it would be a gun that would only be effective out to 100-125m,, but for a close quarters gun OH BABY!!!! Now something like that would rain down a case of whoop ass!! A couple possibilitys would be a pistol version with a 10-12"bbl so it would be stable enough to be able to print where you want it to,and to control easyly or a carbine version w/16" bbl, you should be able to get some effective ranges and decent accuracy too with something like that.

That 45 Long Colt is a pretty potent round with allot of knock down and historicaly pretty accurate! At least I know it sure knocked down a 180+ lb deer on his ass I got, from 75m with a old ww1 6"bbl Colt revolver. Now put that outa a 16" bbl,,, it should do extreamly well,,, man wouldn't something like that be great for a hog gun!!!! Or for many other large game critters at close ranges for that matter.

What's you guys take on something like that? Myself, having no experiance building an AR platform, but I would think the 45LC cases could be an issue in getting them to run right,,, your thoughts??

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

There are gas operated 45s out there available from a couple different guys on standard lowers and pistol caliber lowers. Here's one that was posted here http://www.gunco.net/forums/f255/45-...ated-ar-56205/

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Just a PS to the last post,,,,, the pistol would have to be built with some type of a piston system with a return spring incorporated, eliminating the ugly recever tube. At least that has been my thoughts on it.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

twa, the hardest part of a 45lc build would be the mags. The rimmed cases aren't easy to get to feed well. There have been rimmed 357 and 44 mag uppers built, but they used desert eagle mags IIRC. Have you thought about going with 45 winmag or one of the hot 45's that are near 45acp in length? I haven't built a 45 yet, but I've built several 9x19 uppers and several 357AR uppers (like a rimless 357 maximum+P with near 35 rem performance). They're a little more tricky to build than a 223 upper, but once you figure out what needs to be done they aren't bad to make.
    Last edited by moleman; 06-28-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
    It would be nice if they came out with an AR in a good .45 set-up..
    Only problem I see is the weight of the ammo..

gwailo.. Sorry I do not understand about no ejector?
    How would it work.
    The ejector sits on the ejector plate.
    If switching from right to left hand operation, the plate moves from the left of the receiver to the right side, taking the ejector with it.
    If the plate was not on the example, to show convertability, it would not be seen.
    Constitution Or Bust
    Ron Paul 2012

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by gunnysmith View Post
    The ejector sits on the ejector plate.
    If switching from right to left hand operation, the plate moves from the left of the receiver to the right side, taking the ejector with it.
    If the plate was not on the example, to show convertability, it would not be seen.
    Thank you gunny....
    Awh damn, moleman...
    I missed that post on the .45 for the AR there..
    That is cool as all hell..
    Hell yah. .45 acp, .45 colt... Damn..
    .45 colt is a bad too the bone round.
    Back in the old cowboy days, if you hit someone in the arm or leg with one, their damn appendage just fell off..
    I like that, I want one now.. Damn I need a bankruptcy lawyer..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by twa2471 View Post
    I've always thought about a AR platform in 45,,,, but in L C ,,,,now if you could get past the stright wall cases and rimmed base the 45 Long Colt would be the CATS ASS!!!!! And balistacally puts the ACP to shame!! Ya it would be a gun that would only be effective out to 100-125m,, but for a close quarters gun OH BABY!!!! Now something like that would rain down a case of whoop ass!! A couple possibilitys would be a pistol version with a 10-12"bbl so it would be stable enough to be able to print where you want it to,and to control easyly or a carbine version w/16" bbl, you should be able to get some effective ranges and decent accuracy too with something like that.

That 45 Long Colt is a pretty potent round with allot of knock down and historicaly pretty accurate! At least I know it sure knocked down a 180+ lb deer on his ass I got, from 75m with a old ww1 6"bbl Colt revolver. Now put that outa a 16" bbl,,, it should do extreamly well,,, man wouldn't something like that be great for a hog gun!!!! Or for many other large game critters at close ranges for that matter.

What's you guys take on something like that? Myself, having no experiance building an AR platform, but I would think the 45LC cases could be an issue in getting them to run right,,, your thoughts??
    But that would play hell with the people who try to keep calibers the same-unless you plan to carry it with a six-gun, you're screwed! Now with all the .45 autos out there...different story.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    twa, the hardest part of a 45lc build would be the mags. The rimmed cases aren't easy to get to feed well. There have been rimmed 357 and 44 mag uppers built, but they used desert eagle mags IIRC. Have you thought about going with 45 winmag or one of the hot 45's that are near 45acp in length? I haven't built a 45 yet, but I've built several 9x19 uppers and several 357AR uppers (like a rimless 357 maximum+P with near 35 rem performance). They're a little more tricky to build than a 223 upper, but once you figure out what needs to be done they aren't bad to make.
    I've got a .357 Desert Eagle and the mags for it ain't cheap!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I really do LOVE an AR15 that can shoot pistol rounds. I have FOUR 9mm AR15 rifles set up in different ways. Using it up close to stuff that you should not do with a full power rifle is a lot safer. Yet, it can drop pigs, coyotes, possums..... CRACKHEADS......
    M U S I B I K E

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

AR platform is too expensive. Think M10/11 style with interchangeable magwell/grips. Dirt cheap and simple blowback operation, a magwell swap changes the mags used. Trigger system could use some major improvements, but that should be do-able.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.