Gunco Forums banner

the jr 45 carbine??

4K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  MUSIBIKE 
#1 ·
JR Carbine Products:wow:

anybody had a chance to shoot one of these?

they look sort of interesting. it would be interesting to have a carbine that used the same mags and your sidearm--

i just don't know if it is 6 bills interesting though--LOL:hatprop:

#2 ·
Didn't get to shoot one but got to handle one of the 9mm models at the shop I go to, it seemed well made and felt solid.
But like you mentioned the price is a little iffy

#5 ·
the got .40s, and 45acp versions.

they use various mags like glock and 1911s i am thinking.

you can about build a 9mm ar-15, lower and all from JSE for what they retail for.

but the 45 is interesting. i may have to revive my defunct 45 ar-15 project --if i can figure out a way to use 1911 mags--LOL

the 21 is a double stack -- i don' t thing glock single stacks anything--

#6 ·
That glock mag is a double stack with a 13 round capacity. They are good mags. The outside is plastic but the inside is some kinda stainless. They are built to last.

This is a great concept for a rifle.

The Camp Carbine by Marlin is also a good little rifle. It takes 1911 mags but it wont work with the Mec-gar brand.

#9 ·
It would be nice if they came out with an AR in a good .45 set-up..
Only problem I see is the weight of the ammo..

gwailo.. Sorry I do not understand about no ejector?
How would it work.

#15 ·
The ejector sits on the ejector plate.
If switching from right to left hand operation, the plate moves from the left of the receiver to the right side, taking the ejector with it.
If the plate was not on the example, to show convertability, it would not be seen.

#10 ·
i sort of think building a pistol cal ar-15 from a 0% forging would be the way to go.

then you could just machine the lower to accept the mags you plan to run.

a gas operated 45 ar-15 could be very light and would not need the heavy blow-back parts.

#11 ·
I've always thought about a AR platform in 45,,,, but in L C ,,,,now if you could get past the stright wall cases and rimmed base the 45 Long Colt would be the CATS ASS!!!!! And balistacally puts the ACP to shame!! Ya it would be a gun that would only be effective out to 100-125m,, but for a close quarters gun OH BABY!!!! Now something like that would rain down a case of whoop ass!! A couple possibilitys would be a pistol version with a 10-12"bbl so it would be stable enough to be able to print where you want it to,and to control easyly or a carbine version w/16" bbl, you should be able to get some effective ranges and decent accuracy too with something like that.

That 45 Long Colt is a pretty potent round with allot of knock down and historicaly pretty accurate! At least I know it sure knocked down a 180+ lb deer on his ass I got, from 75m with a old ww1 6"bbl Colt revolver. Now put that outa a 16" bbl,,, it should do extreamly well,,, man wouldn't something like that be great for a hog gun!!!! Or for many other large game critters at close ranges for that matter.

What's you guys take on something like that? Myself, having no experiance building an AR platform, but I would think the 45LC cases could be an issue in getting them to run right,,, your thoughts??

#17 ·
I've always thought about a AR platform in 45,,,, but in L C ,,,,now if you could get past the stright wall cases and rimmed base the 45 Long Colt would be the CATS ASS!!!!! And balistacally puts the ACP to shame!! Ya it would be a gun that would only be effective out to 100-125m,, but for a close quarters gun OH BABY!!!! Now something like that would rain down a case of whoop ass!! A couple possibilitys would be a pistol version with a 10-12"bbl so it would be stable enough to be able to print where you want it to,and to control easyly or a carbine version w/16" bbl, you should be able to get some effective ranges and decent accuracy too with something like that.

That 45 Long Colt is a pretty potent round with allot of knock down and historicaly pretty accurate! At least I know it sure knocked down a 180+ lb deer on his ass I got, from 75m with a old ww1 6"bbl Colt revolver. Now put that outa a 16" bbl,,, it should do extreamly well,,, man wouldn't something like that be great for a hog gun!!!! Or for many other large game critters at close ranges for that matter.

What's you guys take on something like that? Myself, having no experiance building an AR platform, but I would think the 45LC cases could be an issue in getting them to run right,,, your thoughts??
But that would play hell with the people who try to keep calibers the same-unless you plan to carry it with a six-gun, you're screwed! Now with all the .45 autos out there...different story.

#14 · (Edited)
twa, the hardest part of a 45lc build would be the mags. The rimmed cases aren't easy to get to feed well. There have been rimmed 357 and 44 mag uppers built, but they used desert eagle mags IIRC. Have you thought about going with 45 winmag or one of the hot 45's that are near 45acp in length? I haven't built a 45 yet, but I've built several 9x19 uppers and several 357AR uppers (like a rimless 357 maximum+P with near 35 rem performance). They're a little more tricky to build than a 223 upper, but once you figure out what needs to be done they aren't bad to make.

#18 ·
twa, the hardest part of a 45lc build would be the mags. The rimmed cases aren't easy to get to feed well. There have been rimmed 357 and 44 mag uppers built, but they used desert eagle mags IIRC. Have you thought about going with 45 winmag or one of the hot 45's that are near 45acp in length? I haven't built a 45 yet, but I've built several 9x19 uppers and several 357AR uppers (like a rimless 357 maximum+P with near 35 rem performance). They're a little more tricky to build than a 223 upper, but once you figure out what needs to be done they aren't bad to make.
I've got a .357 Desert Eagle and the mags for it ain't cheap!

#19 ·
I really do LOVE an AR15 that can shoot pistol rounds. I have FOUR 9mm AR15 rifles set up in different ways. Using it up close to stuff that you should not do with a full power rifle is a lot safer. Yet, it can drop pigs, coyotes, possums..... CRACKHEADS......

#21 ·
Ya moleman the feeding was the issue I had in the back of my mind when I think about a 45 Colt, rimmed cases would be a bitch to get to feed right I'd think. Getting them outa the mag and getting them into the chamber reliabily might be a hard thing to do. But man, what a potent caliber for an AR that would be if one could get it running right!!! I'm going to do more reserch and see if I might be able to do one up, we'll see what happens.

Ammo's not an issue, 3 years ago I got 2 cases from a estate sale @ $20 per case!!!!! SCORE!!!!! It was slid under a table barely visible behind a bunch of other stuff and when I spotted it and asked the lady about it ,she said 20each(that was per case!!) I almost dropped my wallet getting it out so fast!!!!! $40 bucks for 2K of factory 45LC!!! OH YA!!!!! Nope, I didn't even try to dicker!!! Just grabed it quick,,, VERY QUICK,, and put it in the car before anyone saw me!!
Un fortunatly I missed a couple early Winchesters and a couple Colt revolvers she had sold earlier,,,,,, DAMN!!! I later found out one of the revolvers was a Real 1800's Colt single action in pretty reasionable shape, the other a modern copy. One of the Winchesters was an original 1893 full octogon 44 that looked like it just came out of the factory yesterday, a real beatuy for sure. The other was a later winchester, nothing special but still a nice 20's vintage gun. One of my aquaintences beat me to all of those, DAMN Again!!!! He gave 250 for the colt and 300 for the older Winchester, and don't know what he gave for the later Winchester,,, DOWWWWWWW!!!!! He musta been so excited finding them, he missed seeing the ammo under the table!! I probibly would have too.

The Lucky Bugger!!! I was like ,,, literally <10 minites to late, and I had waved to him going down the road, just before I found the sale.

#25 ·
I had something like it.I had a MechTech CCU in 45acp on a 1911 frame.It disapeared back in 2007 about the same time my X came up with a new bag of weed. Fun gun to shoot.Got rid of her in 2008 and started replaceing my toys.

Attachments

#28 ·
this is mine,( it's not a Jr carbine) it uses unmodified grease gun mags, i love it. i also have a supressor for it as well but no pic of it on, i'll have to get 1 & post it.

it's a mad machinest upper with justin's cnc lower & a millett red dot

and a 9mm with a supressor that i need to take pics of

#30 ·
I picked up one of these in .40 S&W with the glock magazines. Its got a "canada' barrel so up here it is now a 'nonrestricted'. I like it. No malfunctions in over 400 rounds. Some people have had feeding issues. Not many guns 'out of the box' shoot worth a darn anyhow, fine tuning is almost always required...or do i just like to play? I took off the cobby quad rail and put on stndrd M4 handguards using a delta ring assy. The barrel nut is the same thread form. The handguard cap is held in place with an AR railed gas block (clamp on type). Good place for a removable front sight. An Eotech tops off the recvr rail, and a Matech BUIS in the back end. The best part is.... all the AR added bits were just kicking round the work shop. Now getting back to the thread, Yes I want one in 45 acp using Colt mags..the bugs have been worked out and they are really fun plinkers.
bobsonofbob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.