Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 9mm ar-15 1K down the tube

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Default 9mm ar-15 1K down the tube

stats after 1000 rounds of mixed WW white box, reloads, wolf and god knows what ever else i could find in 9mm.

malfunctions 4-- two jams and two case ruptures the cases were winchester white box loads from wally-world.

notes

these blow back things seem sensitive to buffers, recoil springs and ammo.

a hot load, experimental solid buffer and weak recoil spring are a BIG no-no!

two of the malfunctions were due to the mag not being fully seated, the other two were ammo and my experimental buffer problems --which i had to go back the the drawing board with.

accuracy is very good, reasonable power for a 9mm from that 16" stainless barrel. very quiet. recoil is there and not as light as you would think for 9mm. probably enough for a bump-fire set up. when TA drops by we'll see if the 9er will do for that.

it is an impressive little shooter. but it is another learning curve compared to gas operates irons.

everybody else gripes about the c-products 9mm mags , i can't say i am having any problems with them provided their fully seated before you start firing.

insert the mag from an open bolt and i"m having no mag related problems to speak of so far.

with so called "assault rifle" ammo getting expensive i'll be shooting the 9 mikey-mike a bit more.

only thing is it can't reach way out there, it ain't like i got nothing that will reach out there on the rack though.

now i got to pick up a case of the cheap-shit 9mm from somewhere--

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Mine with an RRA upper and mag well adapter in an 80% lower I machined has been through several thousand rounds with NO MALFUNCTIONS.

I have been using S&B 115GR stuff for the most part. Went through several boxes of the PMC, 124GR too.

Just NO FAILURES.

I even dropped one box of that WOLF commie BROWN BEAR though one of these. No problem at all.

Maybe hollow points might make these things hickup? Never tried any yet.

But, I think the COLT or the RRA parts and sub assemblies are the best 9mm AR subsystem components to work with.

Anything else like the .45CAL AR I have seen some fellow try to get a group buy going on just have not been proven yet and the bugs are not yet worked out of the design.

For what it's worth?
    M U S I B I K E

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

This is real well performing stuff for the 9mm, AR15,

AMMOMAN.com. 9MM PMC 124 GRAIN FULL METAL JACKET #9G
    M U S I B I K E

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Good to see you 427. Haven't seen you post in awhile.

Glad your 9mm is running well. I did the 9mm AK thing, and that will have to suffice for now. Would love to build a 9mm AR, but it's just not on the short list at the moment. We'll see how things play out in November, and maybe next Spring.......
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

427: What upper/lower setup did you use? Any pics?
    Thx.
    "To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."
    - Thomas Alva Edison
    |> Military training/history DVDs: www.loose-cannon.com/military
    Latest eBook: Build Your Own AK: Vol. II

Feedback Score

I would love to see the work as I have been thinking about one in .40 S&W or .45.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Feedback Score

Colt has used at least two different 9 mm buffers. They both weigh the same but the early one is called a "two piece" buffer and the later one is called a "one piece" buffer. A lot of people want the two piece buffers because they are suppose to be fairly reliable in the 5.56 without needing to change them. The later one piece buffer is considered much less reliable in 5.56, even though both 9 mm buffers weigh the same and are black in color.

The early Colt semi auto bolt didn't have an opening in the top of them for the regular hammer. They require the short, semi auto 9 mm hammer to clear the top of the bolt. Using the select fire or later semi auto Colt bolt with a smooth face M16 hammer can go full auto if the disconnector breaks. The step on the semi auto hammer will catch and won't ride the firing pin hard. I have read about the "ramped" 9mm bolts that are suppose to allow using the 5.56 semi auto hammer. Without the ramp, the step in the semi auto 5.56 hammer face catches the bolt on the recoil stroke I think but I haven't tried combining those parts. My magazines are Colt magazines. Colt had a problem with the 9mm bolts traveling so fast that they would break the disconnector or the pins in the FCG with the hammer crashing down on them. Colt upgraded the steel in the FCG pins in the 9 mm models and later in the 5.56 models. These are the silver pins. I'd build another 9mm AR15 but I need to know which bolt and hammer to use these days.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Rocster View Post
    427: What upper/lower setup did you use? Any pics?
    Thx.

right now the 9mm is on a TNW billet lower with a free float quad rail.

the upper is one of my mix-master jobs with parts from JSE. it has a bulldog m4 style stainless barrel and a CMMG ramped bolt.
    i did cheap out and get a PLASTIC pro-mag mag block.

my malfunctions were caused by my home made solid extra heavy buffer and a very weak and short recoil spring.

i don't have any pics , though is a nice looking mall-ninjaish iron--LOL

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by allesennogwat View Post
    Colt has used at least two different 9 mm buffers. They both weigh the same but the early one is called a "two piece" buffer and the later one is called a "one piece" buffer. A lot of people want the two piece buffers because they are suppose to be fairly reliable in the 5.56 without needing to change them. The later one piece buffer is considered much less reliable in 5.56, even though both 9 mm buffers weigh the same and are black in color.

The early Colt semi auto bolt didn't have an opening in the top of them for the regular hammer. They require the short, semi auto 9 mm hammer to clear the top of the bolt. Using the select fire or later semi auto Colt bolt with a smooth face M16 hammer can go full auto if the disconnector breaks. The step on the semi auto hammer will catch and won't ride the firing pin hard. I have read about the "ramped" 9mm bolts that are suppose to allow using the 5.56 semi auto hammer. Without the ramp, the step in the semi auto 5.56 hammer face catches the bolt on the recoil stroke I think but I haven't tried combining those parts. My magazines are Colt magazines. Colt had a problem with the 9mm bolts traveling so fast that they would break the disconnector or the pins in the FCG with the hammer crashing down on them. Colt upgraded the steel in the FCG pins in the 9 mm models and later in the 5.56 models. These are the silver pins. I'd build another 9mm AR15 but I need to know which bolt and hammer to use these days.

the overly fast bolt is a problem with my build . the ramped bolt seems fine with a standard semi hammer i am just running a DPMS FCG.

what i'll probably do is cut down and add weight to a rifle buffer.

the high speed of the blow back bolt can cause carrier bounce if not buffered and sprung the right way.

right now it seems OK with a long recoil spring and one of my pals that is an expert on the 9mm told me i can shim the recoil spring up a little.

i had thought of doing a 357sig or 40S&W as well.

either of these are going to require some strong recoil springs and some heavy special buffers.

i am thinking the 357sig would be better if it was gas operated like a regular ar-15---

Feedback Score

A bottleneck cartridge, especially a high pressure one, not only has the recoil force on the bolt but also the expansion of the case neck pushing against the chamber shoulder. I did make a 357 Sig Uzi. I reamed a commercial, non-chrome lined barrel. At first I tried 41 Action Express magazines but the 9 mm Uzi magazines worked better and worked well. I used a semi auto 45 ACP Uzi bolt with a 9 mm Uzi extractor. It was a perfect fit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.