Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DIY 262 ammo?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Default DIY 262 ammo?

75gr ? 77gr (part 1 of 2) - 223 / 5.56 / 9mm reload central database

since the infamous 262 load is not generally on the market many have opted to roll their own versions with the 75gr bullet.

the GI version was more than a bit on the "warm" side. i do recall seeing a few flat primers from time to time.

the 75gr bullet is mostly OK in a 1-9" barrel generally speaking.

though longer is better i have used it with good results from a 1-9" DPMS 11.5" at the closer distances your likely to shoot such a short barrel. just don't expect to reach way out with it.

a general rule though is the shorter the barrel the quicker the twist rate for the 75-77gr.

from what i can gather a 14.5"-16" is generally about 110 fps slower than a 20"

my loads generate about 2750fps from a 20" --so my homerolled 262 is closer to the hornady steel match than the real 262 it is plenty strong enough and gives a little safety margin. it shows to have outstanding energy out to about 500m --about as far as i am ever gonna shoot a 223 anyways.

the heavy 75s and 77s have a reputation for being spotty in accuracy with the 1-9" barrels so far i haven't seen many problems though i did have a few flyers till i got the primers and powder charges leveled off.

my experience is nearly the same as the re-loader on the link.

the extra length and mass of the 75gr is helpful in the 223/5.56 as long as you don't give up too much speed or go overpressure.

the 75gr from a 20" is about my favorite all around shooter in the ar-15.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I don't know what the 262 load is, but awhile back midway had a sale on blemished projectiles they where Barnes TSX all copper 70 gr in .223, plus i bought some un-blemished ones
    I loaded these up with GI brass and federal primers w/ H4895
    I found this load data on the internet and on sig rifles.com
    this is a popular Hog ( wild boar load)
    accuracy at 100yrd was not what I expected but I was using a ar carbine 16" barrel, my ar hog rifle is a old A1 upper I have yet to try out the reloads with that
    but from 15feet to 100yrds I would hit the Hog

sprat
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

http://archives.gunsandammo.com/cont...s-mk-262-mod-1

i should have posted the link in my topic.

the 262 round was developed to have improved accuracy over the m855 rounds used in the m-16 series and a longer effective range.

sort of a DMR round that can still hold up in a short barreled weapon.

Feedback Score

Western Powders that owns both Accurate Powders and Ramshot Powders has AR15 load data for 75 grain and 77 grain bullets using their powders. A2520 and TAC seem to get the highest velocities.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-con...d_data_3.5.pdf

http://www.ramshot.com/wp-content/up...dgun_rifle.pdf

Look under the 223 Remington NATO / MIL chamber load data.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

for some reason when i get to around 3000 fps my accuracy goes to hell in a handbasket and i am showing signs of being overpressure.

2800-2900 seems to be about it for me. you do need speed but you can't give away accuracy to get there. now if i had a bolt gun with a 24" barrel ??--lol!

Feedback Score

Well if you use the powders with the highest velocities you should be able to download them just enough to reduce the pressure and still have higher velocity than the other powders that give lower velocities with more pressure.

Feedback Score

I like the Accurate Powders and Ramshot Powders manuals because you can directly compare the AR15 chamber loads with their 223 Remington SAAMI chamber loads.

Feedback Score

i am builing a a1 upper without the m4 feed ramp in the receiver just the barrel extensio. do you think mine will have problems chamber that round because it is pretty long on overlength isnt it?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by perry View Post
    i am builing a a1 upper without the m4 feed ramp in the receiver just the barrel extensio. do you think mine will have problems chamber that round because it is pretty long on overlength isnt it?

no-- with a properly seated mag the rounds will start out above where the ramps are.

i have run a few rounds of 75gr steel match along with a few of my loads through my repo m-16a with no problems at all. it is the old school colt m-16 slickside with no M4 nothing--

i thought the same thing about my 7.62x39, i recently built one on a old a2 upper with no m4 ramps the thing runs like a champ without the m4 ramps.

Feedback Score

thanks i just wonder why they decised to put them in anyway, do you know?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.