Gunco Forums banner

$175 300 blackout barrels

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  j427x 
#1 ·
#2 ·
It sounds good to me. I so want a 300 BO AR so bad. G*d Damn responsibilities...

#3 ·
Anyone

Have one or try one.. You have one j4?
My neighbor has one and he loves it..
Is it more knock down power, longer range?

#4 ·
Have one or try one.. You have one j4?
My neighbor has one and he loves it..
Is it more knock down power, longer range?

the 300BO is a good idea in it is sort of a straight walled 7.62x39 but it uses standard 308 bullets.

it probably is s good short/medium range round for deer.

i don't think it can do anything i can't all ready do with the 7.62x39 in the ar-15s. since i built two 7.62s i don't have much need for the 300bo.

the main reason for the 300 is it should make a fine round for running a quiet can, sort of like a more standard 300whisper-- that will be cheaper to load since it uses a standard brass and a standard bullet in .308 dia .

the bad thing about all these 'improved" ar-15 rounds like 6.8spc,6.5 grendel, 300BO and so on is they do offer some improvements they never just blow away the old 7.62x39 and even the 5.56 , then add in the extra expense of the new exotic stuff.

the only exotic i have is a 6.5g it is an excellent all around rifle that can take medium sized game at as long a range as i'll what to shoot.

the down side to is is the cost and a 7.62x39 is just as good to about 300m--

hell my roll your own 75gr 5.56 load works very well to about 500m , the grendel is better than the either at range but not better than the 308 bolt gun which costs less to shoot and still has more power.

i think that is the deal with the mid sized assault type rounds. they are all a trade off somewhere.

you either get more powder or more lead but ya cant have both in that small case and mag.

less you really like loading your own, i think it is best to stick with the standard military rounds like 7.62x39/5.56 and if you loose a brass it won't cost ya $0.50--

and you can buy the military round still fairly cheap compared to the exotic stuff.

#5 ·
A friend is looking heavily at getting an AR in 300 blackout, doing SBR conversion, then putting a can on it. Seems the round lends itself well to suppression.

When the deal is done (likely Christmas), I will see if he's willing to let me post on it (after shooting, of course!!), or get him to join and post himself...

#6 ·
i have heard the 300-BO is the ticket for canned application. the rater small volume of the case and the ability to load really long heavy rounds is a big plus in that type of situation.

since the subsonic guys mostly load their own anyway the 300 should really shine for them.

#7 ·
Interesting...

Good info.. Thank you..
Not for me I guess.
Hell I am still setting up this Lee Loader, a chimp could probably set up in 2 minutes..
Got it 3 months ago..
It may hit the friggen canal in another week or two..
I better not get that blackout thing.. That would fly also..

#8 ·
Good info.. Thank you..
Not for me I guess.
Hell I am still setting up this Lee Loader, a chimp could probably set up in 2 minutes..
Got it 3 months ago..
It may hit the friggen canal in another week or two..
I better not get that blackout thing.. That would fly also..

one of the things i thought i would be doing was load ammo cheap-- now i am paying $0.17 for just the bullet--

back in the day i could load the round for less than $0.05 if i hit the gun shows and sales just right--

hey 4th did you ever build that 16" or 14.5" beater upper? just wondering--

#11 ·
yes, im interested in the blackout also men. i would love to have a ar in 7.62x39 but, hell, different mag, bolt and barrel when 300aac just change the barrel really appeals to me. remington making supersonic and sub supersonic ammo and a few other are also. this caliber has taken on a life of its own. a few years from now if after this election doesnt crap all over us might find alot more options in 300 aac.

#19 ·
true the 300ac has some advantages.

it is soo easy to cut a $18 5.56 bolt to a 7.62x39 it ain't even funny.
SMG has stripped 7.62x39 barrels for $89

and a 7.52x39 mag is $20.

you can use regular ar-15 5.56 mags with 5 or 6 rounds as well.

the big advantage of the 300 is if you reload the round with 308 di bullets and or use a can.

i have thought about building one just for a can---a 230gr subsonic would be interesting to say the least--LOL

#12 ·
i figure in a year or two , economy pending we'll probably see a 6.5 blackout , 6.8 blackout and even a 6mm blackout --

the problem with the AR is you never where it is going or when it is going to stop.

and i thought the 257 was a good kit--LOL!

#13 ·
j4. Yes.. I have about 4 or 5 of the AR shorties in the room..
Their a tad bit more expensive than the average AK. So I have not beat or heaved one of them quite yet.. :)

perry.. Yes.. Just go by what I read on the "Blackout."
But guys local here who have purchased, speak highly of them..
Oh my God, just what I need. Another caliber interest..
I am one day away from calling a bankruptcy lawyer now..

#17 ·
Yes j4...

For real. Down here, if I walk across the street into the swamp.
Hell a long shot is 40 feet..
Oh their are places here where the loggers cut, or probably some farms where you could get a long shot. I am sure.. But..
Where I live, everything is flat with obstructed views..
I know biggun and other here speak of long range shooting..
Damn I would love to go with those guys and shoot someday..
Short is just the proper weapon for this A.O..
I worked the gun shows here with my Uncle Marv..
Oh God he had beautiful long range "pre 64" Winchesters for sale..
They gathered dust on the tables here..
But when he did the shows out west, they grabbed them as fast as he put them out.
Still thinking about cutting down that 10" inch one..
Damn thing is a drag too lug through the swamp... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.