Gunco Forums banner

$53 rifle freefloat quads@SMG

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  j427x 
#1 ·
SMG has some rifle length aluminum free floated quad rails for $53 and change for members.

enter discount code "SK669" for double discount TODAY ONLY. 9-19-2012

i think the shipped price is like $58

i don't know if these are any good but SMG is good for a refund if their crap.

i suspect their the same make as the ones amazon sells, which i have a middy that is really nice for the low $$.

i went ahead and got some of the rifle ones --i am sure i can put them on something i got laying around--

enter code for the rails if ya can't find them -- # a2a-209767

the trend of the ninjas it to put the rifle FF-quads over the gas block and make the rifle "all-rails"

these should look pretty good on one of my 18" set up that way---

Sportsman's Guide - Discount Hunting Gear, Discount Hunting Boots, Discount Shoes, Discount Ammunition, Discount Ammo, Discount Boots, Military Surplus, Outdoor Gear at The Sportsman's Guide

i rarely plug the SMG as i have had to return a lot of shit. but they do make a nice deal sometimes.

See less See more
#2 ·
OK the quad rail arrived today --

out of the box it looks pretty good.

it does have an aluminum barrel nut.

the attaching pins for the rails look like their made of hardened brass?--LOL!!

i guess that don't matter much cause their threaded into the aluminum!

the rails themselves look strong enough and well made , they weigh in at around 15oz i would guess. the rails look to be reasonably well finished. just like the middie FF rails i put on the 16" 9mm carbine i built last year.

the rails are however "seconds" or 'blems" as the T-marks are not straight on the top and bottom rails--however the covered rails are arrow straight-?- typical!-LOL!

not a deal killer but they should have said "seconds" --but for the price i'll not complain. one trip into the bush and the off numbers will be covered in dust, oil, mud, residue and so on anyway. as there going on my scout rifle concept 16" 1-7" build. which is a brush gun of sorts.

sort of cheap looking plastic covers --but hey? who really expects covers at all at $50 for a rifle length free float quad rail.

had SMG just listed them as cosmetic blemished i wouldn't have anything to gripe about--

#3 ·
well-typical of my "bargain basement bin" crap i get from SMG, i have run into a serious problems with the quad rail.

#1 the way it attaches to the barrel/upper there ain't no way in hell to get it to go over a under the hand-guards gas block.

#2 the rail portion of the kit is also machined far too small to pass over the "under the hand-guards" gas block.

#3 this is a very small gas block with little meat on it to start with --nothing to cut off to make it fit. re cutting the gas block is not a real option.

#4 the rails would have to be re cut nearly half way back --and that is IF i could install the gas block under the rails --which ain't possible without some kind of black magic--

these rails are FUBAR for an under the rails gas block install by design, if you get these make damn sure they either go on a pistol cal install with no gas or one to fit the gas system your running.

i may put these on my 20" rifle - damn sure a no-go for my scout rail project--

#4 ·
I hate disappointments like that, oh well, on the shelve for something else it might work on . Sounds like pretty much a complete re- engineering or duck tape job to start with. That's the type stuff SMG has so I stay away, paint ball tac shit, most of it IMO.

Not a parts snob,,, where I have to have the latest greatest do dad on the market, far from it. But I do like quality and fit,,,,,, they call me Mr Fussy ,,,, duno why????

There's allot of crap out there .

#5 ·
LOL thats no lie and SMG likes to scrape the bottom of the barrel. LOL!

well these ain't that bad--they do what is advertised --but no more.

i may just cut um out --it is aluminum afterall.

the product ain't bad it is just you can't tuck everything under the rails without a serious re-work.

maybe i'll build another 9mm-- no gas block--LOL!

#6 ·
well i finally got the mini-gas block to fit under the rails --quite the adventure!

thanks to a small arsenal of files and cutting tools i finally got the gas tube channel opened up enough for the gas block --

now i got rails to nearly the muzzle on that 16"--LOL!

wasn't worth the work on these though-- i should have went with UTG or YHM and coughed up another $50-$100 bucks--

i did get quite the muscles from filing it down with a 12" bastard file --maybe it saved a few $$ on an exercise machine?

#7 ·
got a second rifle length free float quad rail from SMG--exact same part number--

this one looks much-much better than the first one --better machining, got the rail numbers on correctly--

the good news i ain't going to be cutting on this one cause it is going on a rifle length gas system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.