Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Quality AR Lowers ?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Default Quality AR Lowers ?

A guy at work is thinking about piecing together an AR and wants to know what companies make quality lowers.
    So what do you AR gurus recommend? I don't know enough to try and help him
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

Palmetto lowers are fine. I have several. Their “blems” are currently on sale.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default Coils..

Bill as posted above would know, also j4 and the other AR guys..
    I have not touched one of them in 40+ plus years until recently..
    Forged, molded, whatever, I do not know one from the other..
    But. With major major receiver manufacturing companies near me.. One I stop in at makes and sells either 5 thousand a week or a month?
    Super top quality from solid blocks. Place is as clean as a surgical operating room, with huge computer operating machines..
    Now do some companies make their own? I am sure they do..
    But if you want your own "Coils receivers" stamped on it. Hell they will sell you a thousand or 10 thousand..
    Now are their different qualities of receivers out there, I am sure their are.
    But when two guys are arguing which is the best, they may have receivers with different names on them, made by the same company..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

As long as it's mil-spec it doesn't much matter who mfg it. In fact until recently if it did not say colt or bushmaster on the side it was probably made by continental machine tool no matter who's name was on it. They were privately labeling lowers for just about everybody. They market their own under the stag name. I have built two AR's on stag lowers, two on olympic and one on a bushmaster. No difference in any of them in my experience.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

every lower i have used turned out fine. i don't think it matters much what roll mark any of them have as far as function goes --provided their in spec -- and so far they all have been.

my favorites are the LMT made lowers --there is something super tough about how they make their forgings. they don't appear to fit any better than any of the others though.

these would be DSA, armalite and LMT branded and a few others.

that said any lower made by LAR, CMT, mega machine ect will provide excellent results. these are sold by a multitude of well known brands.

people argue all the time about this lower is better than that lower-- i haven't seen much variation myself in about a dozen brands -- a few have had tight roll pin holes and minor things. but they all built fine rifles. i thought one DPMS had a tight mag well--turned out my old P-mags were slightly over-sized--LOL

JSE has some CMMG blems for $80-- now i would be tempted to get one of their 6.5 grendel AA lowers cause their made by mega machine -- i think they are about $20 more--

only thing wrong with DSA is they are a bit slow to ship--last time i ordered lowers it was a few weeks before they shipped them-- other than that DSA is the best bang for $$ out there.

i think the thing to do is ask if they guy wants a "brand" name --to some that is worth an extra $20 or two.

an armalite lower is like $150 a DSA goes for about half that --same damn thing minus the roll mark--

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    every lower i have used turned out fine. i don't think it matters much what roll mark any of them have as far as function goes --provided their in spec -- and so far they all have been.

... any lower made by LAR, CMT, mega machine ect will provide excellent results. these are sold by a multitude of well known brands.

...people argue all the time about this lower is better than that lower-- i haven't seen much variation myself in about a dozen brands
    LOL, not only did we say the same basic thing, check the time stamp

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

In small talk with the manufacturing company over here... Problem their having is their machines sitting idle. Their ready to roll. With the weapons buy rush on, they can not get the materials to make the receivers..
    Guess all manufactures are pulling strings and begging for the materials needed.
    Once again Nappy will get "Gun Salesman of the Year." Thank you Nappy..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

check the time stamp
    LOL

I thank you all for your two cents.
    Maybe I should have asked "Are there any AR lowers to stay away from?", does that make it easier to answer?

Thanks again, I'll pass on the info
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Smile Yes...

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    LOL

Maybe I should have asked "Are there any AR lowers to stay away from?", does that make it easier to answer?

Yes. All of them.. Damn I thought AKs were addictive. Like potato chips, you can't just buy one..

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    LOL

carbon fiber and high impact plastic are generally avoided with any name brand.

vulcan,hesse and whatever name they are going by this week are a dice roll--and the plastic ones--don't get me started--

some of the very cheap forging lowers may have some fitting required i have heard this about some of the Surplus arms lowers --and i think the DH or was it deleware machine? --i haven't used either --so it is all scuttlebutt to me.

since lowers don't cost much to start with i don't think it is a good idea to go all "bottom feeder" on a lower.

generally a good stripped lower is going to run around $100, with a big name "tier 1" as the mall ninjas the colts, LMTs noveskis , saber and so on going for more and the lesser known ones going for less.

the only plastic lowers that don't suck are the cav-arms.saber ones with the built in a1 stock . i only do these when i trying to go ultra light weight as they only use carbine buffers and springs and that can be limiting.

one good one i forgot to add is "double-star" their generally very good and sell for reasonable--

it is tough to get a lemmon in an AR-15 lower ,

i have seen a few lemmon's but the guys who bought them had to really work to find one.

the good lowers are 99% of the market--

there was a fellow the other day asking if he should swap out his Century ar-15 lower for a "bigger" name one--

we asked --how does it shoot?

he said wonderful!

we said "why bother?" besides that Century probably has a Olympic lower that was made by MEGA so unless that "century" roll mark really bothers you just shoot it and have fun!--

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.