Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Whats all the hubbub about the 300 blackout?

Feedback Score

i like his talk. ive actually called sierra and ask if they were planning on some new bullets for the 7.62x39 and the engineer acted like i was crazy. the biggest problem with the 7.62x39 is the lack of bulley sellections. the blackout has all kinds of choices using a 30 cal. i have a soft spot for the 7.62x39, i dont think its potental has been fully explored, but the blackout does fill the void there IMO. the versability of just changing the barrel is its greatest appeal to me.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

It's just a 300 wisper with out the expensive tag and it's sammi spec.. I think it's would be cool with a suppressor but with out a sound suppressor.. there are better options.. like 6.5 grendel or 30 AR.. I enjoy the 6mm223 but it's very little advantage over the 223 option.. and the 545 is also a good option half price ammo... B2B

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

In my opinion It's the AR owners answer to the 7.62 by 39. A lot of guys are buying it just because of the hype. I'd be willing to bet that only about 4 to 5 percent of the actual owners whatever gets suppressors for it.. if you reload it's a cheap way to get AK performance out of your AR... there is more than enough bullets for 7.62 x39 to handle any application I can think of. it's got a catchy name and zombies are afraid of it. it would be a great round to build on AK 5.45 kit.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I built one for no other reason than the one I used to build numerous AK's, an MG42/MG34, a Sten, a 1919, and a host of other "tools" that spit lead and go boom..............because I can.

I reload and with a supply of relatively cheap 30 caliber surplus bullets and easily converted 223 brass, I get the bling of larger round out of a platform I can easily swap to multiple calibers.

I intend mine for hunting. Around here you don't get many shots beyond 100 yards, so this gives me a "black rifle" to carry in the woods as opposed to what the other Billy Bobs always pack.
    " The world is a very dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who do nothing about them." - Albert Einstein, 1879-1955

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

It's a shame the 30 RAR Is such a marketing disaster. Remington has really got their head up there ass on this one. if either companies were allowed to make bolts an uppers for this round it would be a good success. At least make brass for it so its got a chance. Typical Remington. IMO the 300 no an x39 are light for deer. Funny how the 30-30 was a marginal deer round until. The 30 BO came along then its considered a great deer round a comparable to it. I've chased more than a few dear that have been wounded by a 30-30.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    It's a shame the 30 RAR Is such a marketing disaster. Remington has really got their head up there ass on this one. if either companies were allowed to make bolts an uppers for this round it would be a good success. At least make brass for it so its got a chance. Typical Remington. IMO the 300 no an x39 are light for deer. Funny how the 30-30 was a marginal deer round until. The 30 BO came along then its considered a great deer round a comparable to it. I've chased more than a few dear that have been wounded by a 30-30.

Dito...which is why I still use my trusty old Marlin 336R in .35 Remington...This rifle has been layer deer low since grampa bought it new in 1946, God rest his soul.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I've killed a lot of deer with the X 39 But in my opinion it's just a little on the light side. you better have the right bullet and the right speed and past 200 yards things get dicy. I have seen zero expansion at 250 yards In a 30 call i want 150 gr at 2600+ or better.this allows kills at practical ranges.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    I've killed a lot of deer with the X 39 But in my opinion it's just a little on the light side. you better have the right bullet and the right speed and past 200 yards things get dicy. I have seen zero expansion at 250 yards In a 30 call i want 150 gr at 2600+ or better.this allows kills at practical ranges.

i pretty much get the same results from the 7.62x39 --though you can kill deer with it --it sure ain't "optimal"

i killed a few hogs with the 154s --the rounds that didn't hit bone didn't expand at all --they were steel jacketed SPs at around 1990 fps.

the light HPs did far more damage --with the steel jackets splitting open and the steel jacket making little razor blade like shredding. but then again i was very close to the hogs so they got hit at nearly MV--

i take the "took down a deer with one shot" as more the skill of the hunter, than the power of a round. at least when it comes to the low velocity or small mass rounds.

it don't take much to kill a whitetail deer at close range provided you get a good hit.

i can get by deer hunting around here with a 7.62x39 or probably a 300BO provided i just take the close shots. the 6.5g holds up pretty good to longer ranges --if i had to take a semi i might pull it off the rack--

if i had any ranged shots i would probably take the 308 bolt gun as the ammo costs about the same a 6.5g and i don't have to worry about where the brass went--LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.