Gunco Forums banner

Ar shorty build

7K views 51 replies 7 participants last post by  mtdew 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
there is a bloody chart somewhere that has the correct gas port size for a 10.25"

generally a shorty will need a slightly bigger port--that is less the port it has a bit on the big side to start with. then you might all ready be close.

the colt chart says .093" for a 10.24" --can't find the LMT chart--it is around here somewhere--

i figure that is pretty close.

if you have a removable gas block i would just give it a try first and see if it will run as is. a pin on is such a PITA to put on and take off i would drill it to the colt size then try it--but hey that is just me and i am lazy! LOL!

#6 ·
I'm thinking doing it up like one of these in the pic, kinda to pay homage to our bug eater guys in all the branches of service, but I like the idea of a mid-length free float railed hand guard with fold down sights. This may be my last "evil gun" build, depending on what the goons in washington do, so I thought why not go all out on it and do it however I like no matter the cost.

Attachments

#7 ·
SMG still has some of those cheap quad-rail free floaters --only thing about them if you go under the hood with the mini-gas block you'll have to extensively re-work the things to get it to work.

those GIs look like they got bolt on rails --the kind you can put on sort of like the GI hand-guards. that way you don't have to deal with the fiddely FSB pins.

now i built two rifles with the lo-profile gas blocks so their free-float quad rail to nearly the muzzle.

i have to say i like the over the gas block installs better.

but they all work well it is really just whatever you prefer.

#8 ·
Thats where I'm stuck. I dont know if I want the as issued CQBR look or a handguard over gas block that goes nearly to the muzzle. Like this HK 416 on the bottom. It also has the gas piston set up and I've been toying with that idea as well.

Attachments

#10 ·
if your in the long green stimulus check side of things take a look at that 'VOLTOR"??

kit --it has an upper with built in quad rail free floater one piece--

very pricey-- like $500+ for just the upper--it do come with a special wrench and barrel nut--no charge--LOL!

hell you even consider one of those LMT piston jobs? their like $1K for a upper but i hear they run beautifully ---

i want to buy one of them myself--but i got to cash in a few lotto tickets first--

#11 ·
Good Man mtdew..

My God. If I saw those guys out my window, I would ask my girlfriend too see what the hell they want..
Hell get a tax stamp on that weapon. It may be quick now with nothing to buy out there... Looking good. I told yah. Shorties Rule.. :rofl:

#12 ·
My God. If I saw those guys out my window, I would ask my girlfriend too see what the hell they want..
Hell get a tax stamp on that weapon. It may be quick now with nothing to buy out there... Looking good. I told yah. Shorties Rule.. :rofl:

i figured 4th would say

"a 10" is like old tick-licker of daniel boon days--LOL-- go short or go home!

7" and UNDER is where its at!":nanabang:

#17 ·
So, crowned the bbl last night, Waiting for parts. Need to get the lower in so I can get the serial # so I can do my form 1. I'm not the most pateint person, but I wont put it together till I get my stamp.

#18 ·
A little more work done. I ground down an old fsb to make a low-pro gas block. Need to get some set screws for it today. Just got a $400 bonus from work. Time to buy some assesorys if they can be found.

Attachments

#20 ·
Thanks j4! I just ordered some stuff, one thing I cant find in stock is a bbl thread alignment tool, altho they had the die. I think I know someone who has one local that I can borrow. Also not having any luck finding a bolt & carrier assembly. One will turn up after the panic subsides... I hope!

#25 ·
And the parts keep trickling in. Upper by high standard. Looks identical to the DSA upper I put on my Bushmaster. HMMMM...

Do they all have the raised square in the pic? Both mine do. Same manufacturer?

Attachments

#28 ·
no that is a BAC forging --they are used by colt, bushmaster, DPMS stinger, del-ton --hell about everybody.

DSA could have still made it , all my DSA uppers i think are cardinal forge parts. i have some DSA uppers that are marked DSA and others are not marked

then again i may have a DSA made on a BAC forging -- i don't keep records of who made my uppers--LOL

that is one of them things i don't worry about much who made the upper --it is fun trivia though to try to figure out who forged it.

BAC,cardinal forge and cerro are the most common ones and the big names use all three.

#33 ·
very nice those UTGs look a lot like the AIMs i got from SMG a while back. i think UTGs are updated to have a bit more room than my old AIMs/

i did an under the rail install for a 16" with rifle length free floaters. those aim FF tubes had no room at all for the gas block-- i had to open them up bow to stern with a giant flat file and and one long aircraft drill bit!--

yea we live in BO world.

sarco still has charging handles , and port covers but their out of forward assist kits--

JSE had some short barrels up today--but they were OOS before i even got a chance to look at um-- sometimes they just get a half dozen or less at a time --

well nice to see the project is still making progress in spite of all the panic buyers!

#37 ·
mtdew..

Good Man, looking good on the build..
Yes do your form 1.. Oh God dot the I and cross the T..
Stan at ProjectGuns helped me with my first one.. Ah hell this is easy..
Next one I did. The ATF sent it back so many times, the nice lady there said.
"Tim. If you mess up this form again, I am coming too your house and filling it out for you." Not kidding. She sounded hot, I almost said o.k.
You can have a dozen shorty uppers and a dozen lowers. It only becomes an SBR, when the two are put together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.