Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why the AR is probably the best Rifle to own.

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default Why the AR is probably the best Rifle to own.

Hello Gents,

Many of you know me, and most know that I don't really try to tell anyone what they should think or what is best. But today, I am going to make an exception.

I started out in this building hobby back in the 80's, rehabilitating and even bubba'ing old rifles. I cut my teeth on SMLEs, I grew legs with Mausers, and I do not even want to admit what I have done to M-1 Carbines.

I got the AK bug early, somewhere around 1987. Back in those days, nobody knew what to do with kits, and the Internet as we know it was a playground for true geeks (like me and JRS). I built my first AK in 1993, and it was SCARY! Machined plates, welded together, and everything cut, ground, and hand fit. My brother still has it. He shoots it once or twice a month.

I can not truly count how many rifles I have built. It is a large number. For me, it was a labor of love, and a way to work through some of my demons. I think I am a better person today due to these experiences.

So, fast forward to today. I had a real brain-fart listening to Joe Biden taking about and urging women to buy a shotgun... Here is the brain-fart: Why are AR-15 rifles so reviled by the demotards? Because they work. Because they are so effective. Because they are so easy to use. Because they make even a little girl just as effective and deadly as a 6'2" fully trained Ranger or Marine.

I am going to continue this thread tomorrow when I am fresh, I welcome your thoughts and posts.
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

"Can o' Worms"

No doubt that it's been in use for a very long time (early 60's till now). A lot of service guys are familar with it.

It's easy to assemble (put one together). Easy access to ammunition, or to reload for.

Inter-changeable parts and the list goes on and on.

Yes, I like the AK (and I have quite a few) but with the AR, I don't have to worry about if it's made in Poland, Hungary, Romainia or where ever.

And, there is the always SHTF deal, parts will be available if you know what I mean.

Just a few of my opinions, and I'm sure that others will have theirs.
    "It Takes A Strong Man To Be Kind", Sgt Nathan Wilson, 5th SFG (1970)

WOLVERINES! One of GUNCO's First Hundred!

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

While I love both platforms, and lean more heavily toward the AK side, I am certainly very fond of the AR, and I think I understand what Bellson is saying. An Ak is a great reliable battle weapon, and yes overseas even 8-9 year old kids use them, but predominantly it's a "guy's" gun here in the US. The AR however has such a light recoil that anyone can use it effectively with minimal training. There are probably far more women AR shooters here in the US than women AK shooters. Therefor it's a platform that everyone should have, which will piss of the Libtards. At least thats what I think he's getting at? Bellson, what say you??
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

I have been thinking about getting a AR 15 a long time, but only in a 6.5 Grendel. To me that is a decent cartridge for the rifle. Trouble is, it's not "everywhere", like the .223. I hunt with a 6.5 X 55 Swiss and that bullet is "near ideal" because of it's ballistic coefficient is so much better than anything larger or smaller. The Grendel uses a 123 gr. bullet which is much heavier than the 55 grain .223 without adding much recoil. It is adequate for all North American game and is fine long range.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

somewhere there is a web page by some former SF guy who posted why the m16 series still such a excellent firearm.

the AK was and still is an excellent design , however a direct comparison to the m-16 is an apples and oranges deal.

the design parameters for the m16 and the AK took entirely opposite paths.

over the years i have either owned or used thanks to uncle sam about every assault weapon out there. ( well except for the very very new designs.)

the big big plus for the ar-15 series is it is modular, has standard head-space value and bolt value. add in all kinds of parts, built in accuracy and the ability to swap barrels and calibers with just turning a bolt --

the reliability problems with the early versions --you can lay that right at the doorstep or the DOD and colt . has they not "pinched pennys" the disaster -prone early days of the m-16 would have been avoided.

over the years there have been some probably some better designs that resolve some of the irritating little things like gas pistons --so far their all very costly and so far haven't been proved to be all that much better.

if some one asked me --what would be the top pick i would say--the LMT gas piston set up.

the m16/m4/ar15 --is going to be around another 50 years.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I know for sure after getting hurt, the AR platform is my preferred gun for longer strings of shooting. Even relatively light recoiling rifles do me in nowadays. Sense I broke my neck , shoulder blade,4 ribs,and crushed a bunch of nerves,, recoil is now the enemy,,,, for sure!!

There just a pleasure to carry too, especially with a flush fitting magazine,, my Bushmaster XM15 target and the Sig M400 are my go to yottie guns now. The light weight, good accuracy, relatively long range,low recoil, and the effective on varmint calibers as is, and add-on caliber barrels that are available,,,, they're very hard to beat.

Now if we could do something about whittling the prices back to a sane level again,,,, they'd be perfect!! But every things insane right now,,,, 22's at 80 bucks a brick,,, you got to be shitting me!!!!!!!! Good Lord!!!

No matter how much I shoot one though. The spring noise ,,Still Bugs Me,, I still don't like all the racket from the spring,,, sounds flimsy to me. That kinda brings to mind the hydraulic??,,dampers and "special" dampers I see. What's the poop on them? Any advantage to them? Or is it just a maul ninja thing? My Bushy drives tacks with the 6x24 scope on it as is, but the Sig I just got just before deer season could use a bit of tweaking yet,, shoots good, but not SMOA yet,, I'll work on that one. Hard to tell though,, I've only put about 50 rounds of Silver Bear SP through it so far just sighting it in and pinking some cans at range with the 3 power QCB type scope it has on it now,, it's just a box stock M400 so far. Even with the cheap ammo and that scope, I'm still getting about 1"-1 1/4" average groups off a bench with it,,and bouncing beer cans around consistantly with it at 150,,, so not all bad, really. When spring has sprung I'll try some ,,Good ammo,, in it and see how it fairs before I change to much on it. More than likely just a decent scope will do the trick, I want something compact. The Bushy is getting a bit bulky with that big scope, free floated hand guard, bi pod, and target pistol grip on it,, it's starting to defeat the purpose of the,, "light weight, compact platform",, now. It needs to go on a diet!! LOL

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by twa2471 View Post
    I know for sure after getting hurt, the AR platform is my preferred gun for longer strings of shooting. Even relatively light recoiling rifles do me in nowadays. Sense I broke my neck , shoulder blade,4 ribs,and crushed a bunch of nerves,, recoil is now the enemy,,,, for sure!!

There just a pleasure to carry too, especially with a flush fitting magazine,, my Bushmaster XM15 target and the Sig M400 are my go to yottie guns now. The light weight, good accuracy, relatively long range,low recoil, and the effective on varmint calibers as is, and add-on caliber barrels that are available,,,, they're very hard to beat.

Now if we could do something about whittling the prices back to a sane level again,,,, they'd be perfect!! But every things insane right now,,,, 22's at 80 bucks a brick,,, you got to be shitting me!!!!!!!! Good Lord!!!

No matter how much I shoot one though. The spring noise ,,Still Bugs Me,, I still don't like all the racket from the spring,,, sounds flimsy to me. That kinda brings to mind the hydraulic??,,dampers and "special" dampers I see. What's the poop on them? Any advantage to them? Or is it just a maul ninja thing? My Bushy drives tacks with the 6x24 scope on it as is, but the Sig I just got just before deer season could use a bit of tweaking yet,, shoots good, but not SMOA yet,, I'll work on that one. Hard to tell though,, I've only put about 50 rounds of Silver Bear SP through it so far just sighting it in and pinking some cans at range with the 3 power QCB type scope it has on it now,, it's just a box stock M400 so far. Even with the cheap ammo and that scope, I'm still getting about 1"-1 1/4" average groups off a bench with it,,and bouncing beer cans around consistantly with it at 150,,, so not all bad, really. When spring has sprung I'll try some ,,Good ammo,, in it and see how it fairs before I change to much on it. More than likely just a decent scope will do the trick, I want something compact. The Bushy is getting a bit bulky with that big scope, free floated hand guard, bi pod, and target pistol grip on it,, it's starting to defeat the purpose of the,, "light weight, compact platform",, now. It needs to go on a diet!! LOL
    put some 40w on the spring-- field strip the mags--the mag springs are dry--put a little 40w on them too.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

We'll give that a try with the oil.

j427x,, You seem to do allot with the AR platforms,, whats the poop on all these fancy spring buffers I see out there? Just a gimmick, or do they really do some thing ,,,Special? Some are a bit to expensive to just "try", not knowing if they'll make two shits worth of difference or not. Just some "must do" modifications for better accuracy is what I'm looking for, other that the obvious trigger upgrades,,with out all the maul ninja shit ya don't need. Not blasting fast,, bump firing , no charging positions or anything like that, there my hunting guns. I don't need rails, lasers and all that happy crap.Just want a good shooter, both mine aren't bad out of the box, but better accuracy is always a plus and I'm open for suggestions. My Bushy shoots <MOA already, but I wouldn't mind one hole,, As I said before, sense I did what I've done to the Bushmaster it shoots great, but,, it needs to go on a diet!!! Getting heavy now! That kinda defeats the purpose of a 223, light, carry around hunting gun. Mights just as well carry my damn M77 Ruger target rifle around the way it's going!!

School me !

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i don't like expensive or fancy myself .

i think the best buffer out there is just the regular full length rifle buffer in a rifle length tube.

the standard car "short buffer is a bit light and it don't have the number of weights that give it as good a dead-blow strike on the BCG.

free floating the barrel is a good option for improved accuracy.

you can do a simple trigger job --like bend a spring-- the cost is about $0 for that.

a good scope and solid mount don't hurt--

and lastly if you really wanting to see some tight groups you probably need to see what the barrel --likes some barrels shoot best with 55gr bullets and others like more heavy bullets --some times a 69 grain bullet will be more accurate than a 75gr --and some barrels like the 75-77gr bullets better.

one of those trial and error things--i have seen them all sub MOA in the right set up.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Kinda what I thought on the buffers. I shoot mostly 62's and 69 grainers, from the Bushmaster and the Sig both seem to like those pretty well,, 1 in 9 twist in both. I did a reloading session recently , and loading up a series of rounds with 62 gr V-max's and different charges at .2 grain intervals just to see which load works best in each gun.
    I haven't had a chance to try them out yet with winter still hanging in, but when it breaks I'll go try them out. I've still got to work up a load for the Zastava bolt gun I got too. I have no idea the twist on that one ,, so it will be trial and error. It does seem to do pretty well with the Silver Bear 62 SP's though,,, and there nothing special. It really seems to like the Lake City 62 grain green tips though and I get real good consistent groups with that stuff from both guns.

Hell ,, you know how I am , j427x,, I always got to try to make things better,,, no matter how good something is to start with,,, just me,,,,Thanks for the info on the buffers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.