Gunco Forums banner

223 or 556

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  j427x 
#1 ·
About 6 years agoI bought a ameetek arms ar15.I took it out of the closet today and a friend and I are going to the range this weekend.I looked all over this gun and it does not say what caliber it is.The lower is marked multi.My friend has both 223 or 556 ammo.Any help much appreciated.

#7 ·
No bellson, not true..

I thought the same. Read this..

".223 Remington vs. 5.56 NATO: What You Don’t Know Could Hurt You"
Is firing a 5.56 NATO cartridge in your .223 Remington chambered AR15 dangerous? Or do Internet forum-ninjas and ammunition companies selling you commercial ammo instead of surplus overstate the dangers? Believe it or not, a real danger exists, and some gun owners who think they are doing the right thing may not be safe.

The 5.56 case has thicker walls to handle higher pressures, meaning the interior volume of the case is smaller than that of a .223. This will alter the loading data used when reloading 5.56 brass to .223 specs.

Some 5.56 loads have a slightly longer overall length than commercial .223 loads.
.223 Remington vs. 5.56 NATO: What You Don't Know Could Hurt You | Conservative News, Views & Books

#5 ·
1:9 would handle both well. 1:7 is more suited towards 5.56 but it will still fire. 223 might not have as good results but if you are aiming minute of man you will do just fine. Have fun.

#8 ·
you have to go way way back to get a 223 chamber in an standard AR 15 --

i recall some scuttlebutt about hess/vulcan and DPMS shipping some with .223 chambers in M4 barrels as a mistake. never saw any proof of it though .

the only barrels i know of made with .223 chambers in the last 10 years are either stamped .223 or wyld -- like some target and bull barrels have the .223 chamber.

all the m4 barrels of recent years are 5.56 chamber--

i have seen quite a few 5.56 fired from .223 chambers mostly m855 --didn't see nothing out of the ordinary.

i don't think i would put mk-262 loads in a semi 223 or hornady superformance either --

none of the russian made ammo is loaded anywhere near 5.56 pressure all of it is 223 , they mark it 5.56 to help it sell.

4th--your link says it all "millions of rounds of 5.56 have been fired in SAMMI .223 chambers with out failure."

unless is is some really hot ammo that is loaded long - like mk262 -you should be able to shoot it in a .223 chamber without any problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.