Gunco Forums banner

a1 retro to a colt 605?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  twa2471 
#1 · (Edited)
now i know a few that ordered the 20" m16a1 kits lately.

due to the panic all of a sudden 20" barrels are scarce.

every once in a while a 16" m4 or LW profile pops up at midway or JSE for nearly retail prices.

one thing you could do is build a replica colt 605 carbine--

http://www.retroblackrifle.com/

you would have to use carbine length gas tube and a low profile gas block -pretty easy to do for most here at gunco--

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That's is cool. I've never seen one of those. In fact, I've only fired two A1's in my life.

I had one of the little CARs years ago. I think it might have been an 11'' barrel with a 5'' inch birdcage. Lot's of fun to shoot. Said SP1 on it.

For the guys working on these;

Are most of the springs and kanibly pins the same from A1 and A2?

Would in be against 'mall ninja edicate' to to just use an A2 lower till parts are available?

Will the upper fit on a TM home brewed?
I seem to recall something about a different o.d. front takedown pin.

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
I like that!!
Thanks for the questions John.
I'd hate to drop $400.00 on the Obama lower & find I can't use it with my A1 kit.

Brad

#4 ·
only thing is some of the civilian colts had large pins--

all the military a1s use the standard commercial pin size. so an a1 kit should be easy. i got a bunch of m16 and m16 a1 uppers a while back --so far they fit everything OK.

there is no problems fitting a colt military upper to any standard lower.

hell yea a2 lowers is all i got. "LOL"---

i don't build my "replicas' to be other than a reasonably correct --not exact anyway.

my xm177e2 has got a DPMS H-bar, a LAR a2 upper on a lar grizzly lower. made mostly with a2 parts like the delta ring and what not.

the 605 had full length rifle gas system and a 15" --ironically making it a SBR. the full length gas system and the 15" barrel with a standard sized gas port was a no-no--,the combat operations in 1965 reported all kinds of problems.

now a 605 clone can have a 16" barrel with modern chamber and rate of twist and uses a CAR gas system close to what a m4 has. it would still not have the exact dwell time but is much closer than a real 605 has. so it should be about as reliable as a m4--maybe a little better cause of the rifle buffer system.

so the clone is made of a mix of a1 and early m16 parts.

notice the clone has a full fence lower and a slightly longer barrel? and a mil-surplus slick upper from a very early m16 of xm177?

#5 ·
Here's my 605 style Hog Gun. M16A1 Upper shortened to 16" Gas port and Sight base drilled a little larger for function reliability. I made this Mod in the 90's so don't remember what size drill bit it was. I have fired thousands of rounds thru it and it has never malfunctioned. I also have the M-261 .22LR Adapter Kit that I use for small game.

#6 ·
mine looks much like yours except mine has a m4 barrel , under the HGs gas block on carbine gas, very early slab side upper , three prong FH, and a2 style grip--

i am wanting to put an optic of some kind on it--but it looks so nam era that i hate to put one on there. hate to spoil the look of the thing.

if i can find a good colt 4x rip off i might--LOL-

darned DPMS a1 rear sight has got TWO of the exact same holes for the peep--WTH were they thinking???--LOL:nono2::pokinit::dunno:

another trippy thing is it likes to toss hot brass right in my face--just like the real ones did!--LOL

#7 ·
In our Air Cav unit that's what the Warrant Officers carried in the slicks along with there 45's, our guys had them set up like the old cop cars used to be with the dash mounted vertical mounts, or mounted on the side of the armor plate on the seat.

I'd forgotten all about that model, and hadn't seen one myself sense Nam,,thanks for the nostalgia trip j427x, nice to see one again, cool!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.