Thread: makos 30 round mags

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Talking makos 30 round mags

my little sample of three came in today.

it is sort of laughable that mako claims in stock when my order was placed on -1-15- 2013 , and the mags have a stamp that says 03-13--LOL!

the mags themselves seem sturdy and tough enough. out of my collection of lowers one mag was a little tight in one lower but a few inserts and removals and it started dropping free.

the white plastic followers look sort of goofy. the mags are a slick looking black --my first thought was "krylon"!--LOL
    they seem well sprung.

i fired one full mag of tula 55gr through one mag and it ran like clockwork.

not much of a test--but with ammo like it is you can't test shit like the good old days. if this is any indication though the mags should be fine.

i figure they'll run well.

no i don't think they are as good as a p-mag or lancer (LOL!) they are more like a c-prod stainless mag than anything.

that ain't knocking it as the c-prod stainless is a decent mag from what i have seen.

$18.70 to me seems a little pricy , i would like these a lot better if they were $12.50! LOL!

but in these days can we really be like those nose picking brand name dropping mall ninjas?

does it really matter much who made a mag, what it looks like or what the brand name is?

as long as it WORKS the rest is all mall-ninja BS.

i have heard that some of the early versions did have some trouble with followers and some out of spec issues. hopefully this issues have be resolved and my late date ones should be good to go--knock on wood--LOL!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I heard they have problems locking up when the bolt is forward.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by eldogg View Post
    I heard they have problems locking up when the bolt is forward.
    yes they do have a issue with a full count of ammo and a closed bolt.

with 30 rounds they do not like to seat on a closed bolt.

28 rounds seems OK from a closed bolt.

the feed 30 fine from an open bolt.

looks like the should have left a little more room for the spring to compress enough to get a full lock with 30rds on a closed bolt-- i don't like banging that hard on a mag to get it to seat--LOL!

they sort of remind me of some of the metal form 8rd 1911 mags in that way!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

playing around with them a little-- seems the USGI follower fit the mag OK, so i poped one in and vola --it loaded to 30 rounds in m4 and fed rounds a-ok.

now another 'oddity" is these mags seem to prefer the m4 style of upper. even with the USGI green follower it likes the m4 upper better--???--LOL!

i catch a few snag ups with a full mag in the non-m4 a3 type of upper. in the m4 types they don't stick rounds--

now all other mags can't seem to tell a hill of beans from one a3 to m4 uppers--but these seem to like m4--

and i have been saying for years that m4 ramps do nothing but make colt $$$

but with this mag --it certainly and obviously works better in m4 ramped uppers.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i thought i would test a few things today, took apart the D&H aluminum mag and one of makos steel mags.

their exactly the same on the body--even the welds are in the exact same places-- the mako steel mag body is nearly the clone of the D&H usgi aluminum mag.

the follower is a exact copy of a mag-pull except if goofy snow-white color--

the springs are very close to the same except the D&H has some kind of stainless steel spring, the mako looks to be carbon steel. same length and number of coils.

now everybody knows what a USGI floor-plate is--and this is where the make strays from the USGI D&H.

the make mag has a two piece floor-plate and a coil on the spring wraps around a foot built into the inner part of the inside floor plate-- this and the second floor plate that locks it all in.

just takes up more space causing the mag to bind if filled up to 30 rounds and inserted.

when i get time i am going to swap in D&H springs,floor-plate and follower and see if it will load 30 rounds and not bind.

i suspect it will just be a steel D&H after this little swap--

in the mean time i'll just run 28 in the makos -- another small plus for me is the AK mag adaptor seems to like the makos-- then again it likes the 20 round el-chepo plastic thermelts too! LOL!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

7yepthats what it is. the added stuff to the floor-plate takes up too much space. with the inner floor-plate removed and re assembled with only the bottom floor-plate they will insert and feed 30 rounds properly.

it seems funny that the IDF/IMI didn't think to add 1/8" to the mag for the advertised full 30 rounds--

i don't know if trimming the follower will help--it might . could more than one thing stopping the mag from functioning with 30 rounds--i'll look into it.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.