Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: thermelt 30s $8.99???

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Default thermelt 30s $8.99???

SMG has thermelt/thermould 30 round mags for $8.99

now i don't know if this is a "deal" or not --might be?

before the latest panic these sold for $7.99 and had sort of a checkered past.

i gambled a while back and bought the six pack of 20 round thermelts for $4.33 each.

so far they seem pretty good. even the BHO works with MOST lowers.

anybody used the latest 30 round thermelts?

SMG has a user comment section --don't trust SMG any more than i do sarco on that regard--LOL

Shop The Sportsman's Guide And Get Great Values On In Stock <a Href= Inch/Net/Browse/Magazines-Clips.Aspx?c=121&D=121 Inch>ammo Magazines . Find <a Href= Inch/Net/Browse/Magazines-Clips-1-10-Rounds.Aspx?c=121&S=22&D=121 Inch>1-10 Round Clips And <a H

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I read that the reason Thermolds have a checkered past is that the Canadians decided to deviate from the plastic formula in a cost-saving move that altered the heat resistance properties of the plastic. Therefore they melted when doing full-auto mag dumps.

Now that is what I read. Similar to the "jam-o-matic" reputation AR-15's received when the US famously decided to change gunpowder recipes during Vietnam and we have all heard that story.

Now personally I don't trust anything that shits where it eats. But that's just me

Apparently the Master Molder company from NC is associated with Thermold magazines. Not sure how... perhaps they make (made?) them. I am going from memory and I'm at work so I can't really look this stuff up to verify. I say that only to say that I've had VERY good luck with current-production Master Molder AK magazines, FWIW.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

yea i ain't talking about the OLD thermelts made before the 90s ban.

i talking about the new 30s made in NC--

i have had pretty good results from the 20s i got from CDNN and the 20s i got from SMG.

they were dated 09 and 10, so far they have been reliable. though i wouldn't load 20 rounds in them and drag them out of a storage tube a decade later and expect them to work, like i would with a pmag or a troy.

i am about half tempted to buy a few as just spares--though i really don't need um--LOL!

hell a 6 pack of 20s or three 30s cost less than a ONE box of ammo these days!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

got one of the 30 round thermelts from SMG. i needed $7 to round my order up for a $30 off code to work so i tossed one in my cart.

the mag looks better than i thought it would. to me it strongly resembles a tapco --but i don't have a tapco to directly compare them to.

the one thing it don't have is a no-tilt follower--

they should call the 30rd thermelt "a lots of tilt follower"--LOL

it does drop free empty and fits fine. it looks like it might be an decent mag -- i just wonder why the left out the no tilt feature in a 30 rd mag??--LOL--

when i get a chance i'll run a few rounds and see what it is going to do.

i might be able to cram a no tilt follower in there --seems like i got a bunch of USGI no tilts laying around somewhere.

so far the 30 looks like it will run--but with the excellent p mag and troy mags and c-products and D&H mags going for like $12 -- this mag should sell for $6.50--LOOL!

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I have owned Thermolds for several different rifles.

Here is the gross accumulation of my experience:

1. Blow through 100 rds, and the mag lips will begin to deform (or melt)
    2. Damned near indestructable. I can jump on one 6-7 times, and it will not crack. Only took 4 jumps to crack a PMag.
    3. They fit, but may need adjustment. You can do that with a rough rock if you had to.
    4. They work, but the followers do tend to tilt more than some, but less than most of the Military issue I have owned.
    5. They do not fit in Alice mag pouches, if that matters to you.
    6. They are not bothered by grit....Ask me how I know. And I mean GRIT, as in DOG SHIT NASTY GRIT LIKE MUSTARD.

So, My simple opinion is that they are functional, but not perfect. Show me a mag that is perfect. And I will by several hundred.

Regards,
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Every one that has actually got there SA AR 15 hot enough to melt the mags please raise there hands. If guess maybe 5% of owners have run there guns that hard . Im sure there fine for most people . Now if I had to go over seas an fight an run my rifle FA an all that Id likely be concerned . Id worry how they fit an feed first an then see if you can afford enough ammo tho melt them. Im sure there reputation is for some reason .

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

we ran the pmag all the time in m4s, i don't recall any of them melting. quite a bit of sustained full auto too.

now the thermelts -- i don't think they actually melt when they get hot they just get soft-- causing the rounds to start poping out and double feeding the rifle.

i had some IDF orlites that also did this. and they were steel reinforced on the lip area.

i didn't know you could get any new mags in california? LOL!--

anyway this is the new thermelt made in NC , not the old thermelts made in canada before the clinton ban.

supposedly their improved . they do seem a bit more rigid that their past attempts to make mags. to me they look like a cheaper version of the tapco mag --but i don't have a tapco to compare it to directly.

the weird thing about the thermelt 30 is my ar-mag converted 5.56 ak seems to hate the 30 rd thermelts but it loves the 20s! ?-- go figure-- the 30 thermelt won't even seat in the mag block!

the ak mag block seems very picky about mags so far it loves all the plastic mags i have tried EXCEPT the 30 rd thermelts.

that same mag fits ar-15s fine.

no it ain't even close to the pmag or the troy, or the lancer. this is more of those gun show mag type of thing. where you buy somthing and they toss in a few mags to help make a sale.

-- i wonder what this POS would do if it was cold tested? i can see this mag at -20F splitting apart or on a hot day getting so soft rounds start poping out like a cheap pop-corn pop-er--LOL

no i ain't got much confidence in the thermelt 30s--

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Keep in mind the story that *I* read was that the original recipe wasn't "bad", it was the Canadian gov't attempt to reduce cost by using a different plastic that caused the issue of melting during FA fire. That's what I read. Then they changed back to the original formula and the problem was resolved... point being if the new weren't made by the Canadian gov't then they should work.

And I mean GRIT, as in DOG SHIT NASTY GRIT LIKE MUSTARD.
    You know it is pretty bad when I understand *exactly* what you mean - guess I've cleaned up too many doggie doo incidents on my carpet!
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Field Test Comparison: 30-Round Magazines | Hendon Publishing

this 30rd mag don't seem very strong to me-- up where the feed lips are you can compress the plastic by just gripping it--and the sides of the mag fold in on the follower, if it weren't for the follower keeping it from compressing i think it would break by just hand pressure--

the upper of portions of these 30s are as fragile as the 20s --maybe more so.

these guys tested them a few years back--they seemed OK but some broke during testing. and were not talking DOD testing either --just taking um to the range and shooting um kind of testing.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

well the mag has got 'issues" i attempted to fire it from a full load of 30 rounds in my colt 605 clone --the rounds nose dived and hit the upper.

i stripped about 10 rounds and tried again --still a no go. tried again with a half full mag-- jam-jam --jam again.

it also acts like rounds want to pop out , but it hasn't functioned long enough to make that kind of bolt over-ride jam--yet--LOL

now here is where this mag is really funny er "strange". i loaded the mag up with thirty rounds and put it in the m4 upper with the m4 cuts in the upper and it ran fine.

put that same mag in a a3 iron without the m4 cuts and instant "jam"--

now the colt 605 clone i put the rounds in a 20 round thermelt and it gobbled the rounds up without incident-- the same rifle that was jamming EVERY shot with the 30 rd thermelt--

i am going to play around with this one some, i may put in a USGI no tilt and see if it helps . or i'll see if i can get it to go with the 5.45x39 ammo --or it goes in the trash-- or back to SMG for a refund--LOL--

do yourself a favor if you want a good mag cough up that extra $3 --this mags might run in a m4 , but really any decent mag can work in ALL the ar-15 variants that shoot 5.56--

i haven't found a pmag, troy industry mag, or a lancer mag that wouldn't run out of the box .

this thermelt 30 looks to be doing EVERYTHING wrong. i might be able to fix it----then maybe not.

their 20s seem OK i got about 20 of them and so far they all work. this 30 is another story.

it is one for one of the fubar scale--LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.