Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: AR Upper Advice

  1. #11
    Gunco Regular wpflgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    764
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    that DSA 14.5" is chrome lined and 1-7" -- i been eyeing it even before the panic-- they might have a few of them left cause their NFA DBR or you have attach a longer FH to get the barrel length up to 16"--

    i have one of the DSA 14.5" barrels --it will give any of the big name 14" s a serious run for their money.
    \
    before the panic DSA has a lot of nitrided barrels and uppers-- hell i wish i had bought one of them too--LOL!
    About the barrel twist, I was under the impression the 1-9" was preferable because it handled a wider selection of bullet weights. Does the 1-7" perform better in shorter barrels?

  2. #12
    Gunco Addicted for life j427x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    8,876
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wpflgun View Post
    About the barrel twist, I was under the impression the 1-9" was preferable because it handled a wider selection of bullet weights. Does the 1-7" perform better in shorter barrels?

    no the one in 9" is not better --a 1-7" will shoot all the heavys down to 55gr bullets , a 1-9" generally does from 75gr loads down to 50gr or less --like 40gr varmit loads. the one in 9" barrels are really 1-8.75" anyway--

    with most common bullet lengths they act about the same --some 1-7" barrels will shoot a point of aim with 55gr bullets that is not same as they shoot with 63,69 and 75 grain loads. i have found the 1-7" barrels to be just as accurate with the 55 as a 1-9".

    there are lots of things that affect accuracy -- i suspect that many of the things we hear are more than likely ammo issues rather than which twist rate is best.

    i consider a 1-9" and an 1-7" both very good many 1-9" barrels will shoot 75gr loads with ease. personally i think the 1-9" vs 1-7" thing is a non issue. just get whichever one you like and shoot anything between 55gr and 75s--

    the 1-7" is a little better in real shot barrels like 10"--shooting 77 grain loads, the issue is the length of the bullet the longer the bullet the more twist it needs.

    most loads work very well from a 16" in 1-9". a general rule is the longer the barrel the less critical the ROT is. i know many that shoot heavy loads from 1-9" barrels. i frequently shoot 75 gr loads from a 20" 1-9" it does very well.

    there is a lot of overlap in the 1-7", 1-8" and 1-9" barrels with what they will shoot. generally any of them are good for most loads from what i have seen. when it gets more iffy is running really long bullets from a really short barrel , or running very light short bullets from a barrels with a very tight ROT like a 1-7"

    the most often used bullet weights 55gr-75gr run good in all of um.

  3. #13
    Gunco Regular wpflgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    764
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    no the one in 9" is not better --a 1-7" will shoot all the heavys down to 55gr bullets , a 1-9" generally does from 75gr loads down to 50gr or less --like 40gr varmit loads. the one in 9" barrels are really 1-8.75" anyway--

    with most common bullet lengths they act about the same --some 1-7" barrels will shoot a point of aim with 55gr bullets that is not same as they shoot with 63,69 and 75 grain loads. i have found the 1-7" barrels to be just as accurate with the 55 as a 1-9".

    there are lots of things that affect accuracy -- i suspect that many of the things we hear are more than likely ammo issues rather than which twist rate is best.

    i consider a 1-9" and an 1-7" both very good many 1-9" barrels will shoot 75gr loads with ease. personally i think the 1-9" vs 1-7" thing is a non issue. just get whichever one you like and shoot anything between 55gr and 75s--

    the 1-7" is a little better in real shot barrels like 10"--shooting 77 grain loads, the issue is the length of the bullet the longer the bullet the more twist it needs.

    most loads work very well from a 16" in 1-9". a general rule is the longer the barrel the less critical the ROT is. i know many that shoot heavy loads from 1-9" barrels. i frequently shoot 75 gr loads from a 20" 1-9" it does very well.

    there is a lot of overlap in the 1-7", 1-8" and 1-9" barrels with what they will shoot. generally any of them are good for most loads from what i have seen. when it gets more iffy is running really long bullets from a really short barrel , or running very light short bullets from a barrels with a very tight ROT like a 1-7"

    the most often used bullet weights 55gr-75gr run good in all of um.
    That is good news. I was holding back on the 1-7". but now it looks like that $270 M4 at DSA might just be the one...

  4. #14
    Gunco Regular wpflgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    764
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

    Default

    Just checked wth MSA...6 months wait...will look at other options...

    Another question: Does the front sight base interfere with lower mounted optics? Wondering if I am better off with front gas block sight base..

  5. #15
    Gunco Addicted for life j427x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    8,876
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

    Default

    over at those mall-ninja ar-15 places they argue for days about the 1-7" vs 1-9" , the mill-spec mall ninjas got to have a 1-7" the el-cheapos want the 1-9" to save a few bucks.


    i have had both for years -- probably the best all around ROT would be a 1-8" that is usually run in target type barrels--LOL!

    best i can tell the 1-9" 1-7" can both shoot 55gr and 63 grain stuff pretty well . some barrels shoot better than others in the same ROT --

    what really matters is how good a given barrel is --whatever number of twist rate is just more or less icing on the cake between a 1-7" and 1-9"

  6. #16
    Gunco Regular wpflgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    764
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

    Default

    So if I want to assemble my toy and play with it, this one is available from Surplus Ammo and Arms for $350.

    Home

    Not chrome lined, no handguard, but it is available...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #17
    Gunco Addicted for life j427x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    8,876
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

    Default

    nothing wrong with the SA m4 that i am aware of. --it is quite a bit more expensive than that DSA !

    but it will run just like any other will with a good BCG , charging handle and so on. those hand-guards ain't expensive CDNN sell the doubl;e lined m4 units for $10--

  8. #18
    Gunco Regular wpflgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    764
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    nothing wrong with the SA m4 that i am aware of. --it is quite a bit more expensive than that DSA !

    but it will run just like any other will with a good BCG , charging handle and so on. those hand-guards ain't expensive CDNN sell the doubl;e lined m4 units for $10--
    The DSA is a great deal, but the 6 month wait sucks... Yeah, hand guard won't be a problem, CDNN one sounds good, saw some inexpensive aluminum rail handguards too.

  9. #19
    Gunco Rookie skyhawk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Piedmont
    Posts
    17
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Try Sota Arms or RedX arms, bought from both and they are pretty good, don't have a link just google . I think they are getting caught up some now

  10. #20
    Gunco Regular wpflgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    764
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk1 View Post
    Try Sota Arms or RedX arms, bought from both and they are pretty good, don't have a link just google . I think they are getting caught up some now
    Thanks for the tip! Just ordered their M4 SS Upper for $290 shipped. They had the standard M4 barrel with flash hider at same price but w/o chrome lining, so I went SS. Here it is, but comes with single rail on gas bock vs. pictured quad rail:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •