Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AR Upper Advice

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

$290 is more like "normal" pricing--

let us know how it shoots--!!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Will do. Total package including shipping comes out to $688, I guess not too bad for these days...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

So I took a few days trying to warm up to the composite lower receiver, couldn't quite get there. I made arrangements to ship back and exchange for a different lower assembly with forged aluminum receiver. Had to pay $70 difference, glad to do it. So my rifle will top out at $758, no great bargain but it will do.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Shipped the lower back today for an exchange. BCG and CH arrived at my doorstep. Upper should get here tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Got the upper, installed BCG and CH, and a set of removable iron sights (had a set laying around, picked up as a curiosity at the time, low price)...Those sights are pretty heavy, any recommendations for lighter weight sights, possibly flip up, which would be lighter and still durable?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wpflgun View Post
    Got the upper, installed BCG and CH, and a set of removable iron sights (had a set laying around, picked up as a curiosity at the time, low price)...Those sights are pretty heavy, any recommendations for lighter weight sights, possibly flip up, which would be lighter and still durable?
    personally i would toss those irons and get a optisan mamba 1-4x or maybe a PA 1-4x scope.

for my back up sights which i never use anyway magpull "training" set of their plastic sights seem to work and they don't weigh hardly anything-- amazon has them for like $20.

don't think their durable enough to let the rifle fall and land on a rock and not break but they seem strong enough when in the down position.

you will have to make some adjustments to them as their more of an "airsoft part" --but they can be made to work. don't know how "durable" they are as their made of the same plastic as a p-mag.

you can only use the back magpull sight as plastic ain't worth a shit on a hot gas block--LOL

most of the weight in these things depends on the barrel profile , bull barrel being the most heavy , then a heavy barrel, then a USGI profile like the m4 and m16a2 and finally the light weight pencil barrel.

the heavy profiles offer more accuracy and the light weight types --well they carry so much better in the field.

my favorite all around ar-15 is a cav-arms nylon 66 a-1 style lower with a 20" flatop del-ton 1-9" barrel with a optisan mamba 30mm scope.

the cav-arms lower saves about a pound, the scope and mount adds a little over a pound so i got a scoped rifle for only a couple ounces more weight than the old m16a1s i lugged around years ago.-- a lighter scope set up like a leupold hog-plex ona 16" pencil barrel could have been lighter still--

that looks like a heavy target style profile in the picture.

some of my ar-15s i don't even install the back up sights , i rely on the scope and if it fails i carry a carry handle and a bolt on sight in my rucksack or pocket.

you still got a little weight there --but it ain't hanging on the shooting iron when it ain't needed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I definitely intend to mount optics. Has anyone used a long eye relief (LER) scout scope on one of these? Seems like a good combination. I have a few bolt guns with scout scopes. Traditional mount is a definite possibility as well, probably 1x4 ur 2x6, definitely no moon scope, LOL.

I have looked at some plastic backup sights and 45 degree offset sights, which might make sense, not sure of weight.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

many of the mall-ninjas will stack a mini-holo sight on their scope and or use those 45deg offsets --

i got a nice little mini red optic sight from SMG -- the mini sight still looks too big for me and the thing is a bit "busy" the optisan with its built in red dot is a lot cleaner and simple.

some like the long eye relief concept. i haven't tried it -except with the red dot types.

- the 1-4x scope/red dot things works so good i can't see a point in mounting one on the rail. now i do like to mount a red-dot on the rail--

the thing with the AR it is adaptable to many roles --so which scope/mount and so on depends on what you want it to do.

for a carry rifle the smaller scopes like the 30mm tube 1-4xs or the 20mms with built in red dots are pretty much the incing on the cake. you don't really have to spend big $$ on um either to get a good one, you can get a decent PA for $119 or an optisan for $149 with the mount. i'm probably going to be sticking with these.

there are a good range of these that will all work pretty well depending on the application from the $119 PA --there are some nice nikons, weavers, leupold 20mm scopes and so on that all work fine in the ar setup , i very nearly went with the leupold hog plex 20mm scope and also the weaver 1-4x with ill german #4. many like the vortex viper series though thir a bit more $$ than i want to spend. i'm sure they excellent though.

i am considering a 2-7x vortex diamondback. i try to stay under $200 for a scope and hunt for those bargains --LOL-- there are still a few around, most of the good deals i see though are in the 3-9x 40mm which is a little bit big for lugging around in the brush. a 1-4x can hit targets way out there --about as far as a 5.56 can do anyway.

many like the big magnification scopes to see where the holes are on paper our to count antlers. i got some of those too but their on bolt actions--

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I dug around in my man cave and found a couple of red dot sights I picked up several years ago and never got around to using. One is a BSA simple dot and the other a Hammers Red Dot "T" reticle with 2x magnifier. Don't know if either one is worth the trouble, but I think I will put the Hammers on when I get the lower and check it out. I will probably try a scope of some sort that I have laying around too, while I figure out what I really want.

Any recommendation for aluminum back up sights?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i got a hammer "T" dot on my 9-miky-mike . it does OK for a $30 glass.

you really gonna want a "real" scope for the /223/5.56 sooner or later. i got a AIM mini holo sight on my XM-177e2 replica so far it does OK considering it only has of 11.5" of real barrel and the rest is a replica of a moderator to get it to the legal 16". so it is strictly a 200M and under piece.

your guess is about as good as mine on the BUIS. you might have good results from some of the knock off like they sell on amazon if you can find some not made out of pot metal.

some times they sell the M-4 carry handle sights on there that are take offs -- you know the real thing that is aluminum --not pot metal.

a few years ago i bought a bushmaster carry handle for $28 -- it is very good quality. i have thought about cutting it into a BUIS , but it is too nice to saw on--LOL!

you could do something like that if you can come up with a quality US made carry handle for not too much $$

i certainly wouldn't spend big $$$ on a BUIS system , if i was going to drop into the sand box i would probably get the TROY ind set up.

this optisan mamba has got me spoiled me though--

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.