Thread: $119 BCGs

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Post1911 $119 BCGs

M16 Bolt Carrier Group

alpha has some BCGs on sale and some barrels and LPKs.

they have the standard m16 style BCG for $119 and the MPI for $130. good prices compared to 6 months back.

only thing is these have ceramic coatings --don't know if it is instead of or over chrome on the inside of the carrier.

i don't see how ceramic would be better than chrome--but it might be goods enough.

they also have some barrels on sale mostly 8" and 10.5" 300BOs--

you can get free shipping with a $150 order just enter 'freeship150" i

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Ive never heard of these guys. Bolts are not 4140 normally. They are carpenter 158(DPMS and others), 8620 (several manufacturers), SAE9310("enhanced").

Might want to move cautiously on these, 4140 is NOT equivalent.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I have ordered barrels from them before. As I recall they were pretty good to deal with.
    Certified AR-15/M-16 Armorer / SIG Pistol Armorer

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

yea that is odd for a bolt to be 4140, i have never even heard of a 4140 bolt --ever-- as far as i know 4140 ain't injectable either so the bolt would have to be machined too./???

i figure they just copied the specs wrong-- but i would damn sure call them first and make sure of what their selling.

the damn internetz you order a barrel and get a pair of boots! LOL

citadel was making their barrels last time i ordered from them. and their bolt carriers were in spec --that was long before this panic though.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

What is it with you!!! every time I turn around you found something else I need, in stock...at the same time I have spare cash .....dam you!!!
    "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

let us talk you out of it--LOL! we don't know what a 4140 bolt will do-- in the long-term testing.

hell as high as ammo is barrels and BCGs are cheaper than a brick of wolf--whatz up with that??--

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

SHHHHHH,,,, don't give them any ideas j427x,,,

I'll do an AR build when the "Good Parts" are back around, not until. I've got 2 already so there's no yank at this point. I'll just wait for the quality 20" bull barrel parts and other match type parts to come back around ,to build up a tack driving yottie gun. My Bushey is pretty close already and,,,, I ain't missed with it yet! So no yank on my end,,,

As for the BCG's I'm not sure that there's anything I can think of, that will stick to chrome, might be , but I don't know of anything. Unless you butcher the chrome by bead blasting it, maybe even not then,,,, don't know, there's always new stuff coming out I may not be aware of. You're right though,, I'd never heard of a 4041 BCG either, seems to be a bit soft to me. Typo???

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

thats what i'm thinking--a typo or miss print--

anyways i would call and find out the straight dope on um. Alpa is a pretty good company --i figure their OK or they wouldn't be selling them.

the BCGs i have are chromed on the inside where the bolt and rings ride -- i don't know how a ceramic could be as good --but i haven't seen one of these either-so-

. --as high as ammo is today if a BCG only lasted 6,000 rounds that would probably be enough. everything is like getting disposable cause ammo is the big cost factor.

like owning a vette --the big costs were once insurance , now it is insurance , gas and tires! now you got to change barrels, bolts and even the carrier after 6k--and a tire rotation--LOL

on the BCGs they are one of the critical things that can 'go-K-boom" if they ain't right. the critical metal is in the BCG and the heat treat, if it is milled to thin--, or too hard it can break, bolts can break as well but thir not a disaster like a BCG giving way --usually that is.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

thought i would google around on the 4140 bolts, can't find much on them, that is solid info.

there has been some fly by night bolts and BCGs that have busted that were sold after the panic started. -- and possibly some china imports nay have got slipped in as well.

the thing on the latter bolt and BCG failures may not be the steel being the wrong kind , as much as poor machining.

i'm in for the group buy for a couple BCGs -- i can't recall what kind of steel their supposed to have--LOL?

i know many bolts are made from 8620(?) as a sub for carpenter 158.

my suspicion is that a soft bolt that is machined properly will be OK except it is going to wear out faster, a soft bolt made wrong though --that could be a bad story!

damn i should have pisted this one on the MPI ones for 4130--LOL!

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.