Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My AR-15 Build Parts Costs

Feedback Score

Default My AR-15 Build Parts Costs

I've been looking around the net and found the parts on different sites. After finding the gas piston conversion, I added it to my parts list. Here are the costs I have figured as it stands.

$787.28 AR-15 (w/o gas piston conversion)
    $1,116.50 AR-15 (w/ gas piston conversion)

These costs include the shipping from the sites where I found the parts. I may stay with Direct Impingement until I can build enough funding to get the conversion and install it on my AR. If desired I can post all the information that I have in my spreadsheet for all the parts and where I found them.
    Last edited by SkeeterB; 06-16-2013 at 05:58 PM. Reason: formatting

Feedback Score

Talking

I decided to go on and copy/paste my parts list as/is and see what you guys think

New Frontier Armory Stripped AR15 Polymer Lower Receiver $69.95 @ Joebob Outfitters (JoeBobOutfitters.com)
    Lower Receiver Parts w/ Ambidextrous Selector $82.00 @ Stag Arms (Stag Arms LLC | AR-15 Manufacturers)
    6 Position Collapsible Butt stock $37.95 @ Amazon (Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more)
    Troy Ambidextrous Magazine Catch $54.63 @ Amazon (Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more)

Upper Receiver
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    Upper Receiver Assembly $449.99 @ Surplusammo (Home)
    Ambidextrous Charging Handle Latch $8.96 @ Amazon (Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more)
    Carbine Gas Piston Conversion $319.00 @ Midway USA (Shop Shooting Supplies | Reloading | Gunsmithing | Hunting gear ? MidwayUSA)

Shipping
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    Surplus Ammo Shipping $14.72
    Stag Arms Shipping $22.00
    Joebob Outfitters $8.35
    Amazon Shipping $18.73
    Midway USA Shipping $10.22

Sub-totals
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Lower Receiver $244.53
    Upper Receiver w/o Conversion $458.95
    Upper Receiver w/ Conversion $777.95
    Shipping without Conversion $63.80
    Shipping with Conversion $74.02
    NFA Transfer Fee $20.00

Grand Totals
    __________________________________________________ _____
    AR-15 (w/o conversion) $787.28
    AR-15 (w/ conversion) $1,116.50

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

I'd spend half as much & build an AK47 myself . Then you would have a weapon you could DEPEND on.
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I guess at this point it cost way more to build one as it cost me to get one built off the shelf 6 months ago,,, I'll be waiting for a bit,,,,still,,,, to build another one at this point.
    Last edited by twa2471; 06-17-2013 at 11:53 AM.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

things ain't cheap no more .

before obummer was re-elected there was actually a glut of ar parts with very low prices on the un-popular not-mall ninja approved stuff. like USGI a1 and a2 surplus.

i have seen ar-15s assembled for $400, and even a few using mil-surp stuff for the high $300s -- that is long gone though. sort of like us bitching about those $69 yugos and rommies kits. those $20 stripped uppers are long gone--there was a cold war surplus glut of that stuff. now it is used up.

if you on a budget i don't really see the need for the piston kit on the AR-15. i was thinking of doing one myself but scopes and mags keep getting in the way.

the DI set up will run and run with a little cleaning every so often. i like the idea of the piston driven kit as it keeps the bolt cool and stops grit from getting in the bolt. the down side is it adds weight and expense. a lot of money and trouble for a small improvement.

if you haven;t got a lower yet --watch JSE cause every so often they put out del-ton lowers for $90. there just as good as any out there. the only plastic lower worth a damn it the cav-arms ones made of nylon $66. the rest are questionable at best.

yea about $800 for a middle of the road ar-15 seems to be the norm these days.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

That's just nuts, my Sig with the scope and sling was only 879 at Wally world last October after prices had already crept up a bit, Oh Well,,, those that snoozed ,,, lost out I guess. The Bushy I've had for years and don't recall what that one cost.

When it gets back to the point of being able to build one for the 500-600 it used to cost for a quality target one ,then I'll consider it,but not until then. And with 2 in hand already there's really no yank to do so.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

about all you need to make a "target' is a good barrel and a good trigger.

you got an upper and a barrel wrench all ready?--LOL!

Feedback Score

I have a SKS that was brought back from Viet-Nam, and I love it. I haven't put a whole lot of rounds through it, but i do like the way the gas piston system works.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I like my SKS's also, but there a bit clunky , heavy and somewhat under powered,, still great guns though. Just not hunting guns IMO,, OK but not optimal.

The DPMS 308 I had was about 2 lbs less and in 308 besides, wished I'd kept it but got a great offer for it and it didn't really give the accuracy I was looking for. My AR's are predominantly yottie guns, so 4-600 yard shots are the pretty much the norm, and that particular DPMS just didn't get it done, funny too, most others I'd shot before, did much better, must have got a dud one or something. I couldn't get much better that 1 1/2 MOA with it, with others I'd shot, they would get 3/4 or less groups consistently.

Feedback Score

I've added a lot of stuff to that list since I made that parts list post. I've started working on building up a 7.62x39 upper from scratch. I'm still adding stuff that I see on parts lists if the part like the upper doesn't have the dust cover door and the forward assist. If I find the complete assembly I add the assembly, but if i can't find the complete assembly, I just add the separate parts. The 5.56/.223 upper I have on the list is $50.26 more than x39 upper I'm building up. I'm still tracking down where I found the parts the first time though. I didn't think to document where I found the different parts that I have on the x39 upper parts list.

Edit: I looked at my list and noticed one piece that kept the difference so big. I had added a removable carrying handle and didn't add it to my x39 upper calculations. I took off the carrying handle and the difference dropped dramatically. The difference is only $9.06 without the carrying handle throwing off my calculations.
    Last edited by SkeeterB; 06-19-2013 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Error in calculations

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.