Thread: AR Tools for Assembly & Adjustment

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default AR Tools for Assembly & Adjustment

Other than basic general tools, what kind and type of AR specific tools do you recommend for the first time AR owner? I have built a few AK's and worked on countless milsurps, but this is my first rodeo with the AR platform.

My starter rifle is a carbine length upper from RedX with SS heavier barrel, basic hand guard, single rail gas block, and flat top. I does not come with threaded barrel or flash hider.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

the most basic tool for assembling uppers is a barrel wrench of some sort . if your upper is assembled--you won't even need that .
    to assemble a lower a few small punches to install roll pins and it don't hurt to have a mag block to hold the thing steady with a vice.

i have seen many assembled with just normal hand and shop tools .

it is mostly a snap-fit type of thing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

First thing I might do is change out the hand guard to a rail...Any special wrench needed for that?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

that depends on if your just going to put a rail HG on there or a free float--

a free float will need to replace the standard barrel nut with this own special nut--

the rails that don't free float are more like --you just replace the old HGs with the rails-HGs and tighten up some screws--

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Just interested in change out, not free float at this time. I found a Utube of the hand guard removal and the tool required, so I now know how the process works. Such a rookie at AR's that I didn't know the delta ring was spring compressed. Hand guard removal tool is in my future, even thou it certainly could be done w/o one.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I would suggest getting an upper receiver block for any type of upper work. For lower work, at least a lower receiver block, the special punch designed for the bolt stop pin and a 1/4" clevis pin for the pivot pin detent.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.