Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: scope "deals"

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

some of the camera places , amazon and SWFA has the old style burris full field 2s in 2-7x 35mm for $149.

i have heard mixed reviews about the newer burris scopes since they shifted their production to the PIs. i have one of their older 3-9x 40s that was made in the USA it is a good scope.

a redfield revolution 2-7x should be a good pick as well provided you can find one at a "deal" price. i haven't found one yet for less than MSRP.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

low $$ scopes that are worth a look that i haven't had the chance to check out--for around $100

pentax game seeker II 2-7x 35mm made in china --some say these are the same as low priced bushnell 2-7x ? they have been found for as low as $75 shipped.

centerpoint 2-7x these are obviously china made for box stores. some say their pretty good. i haven't seen one myself.

muller 2-7x --these are very nice for the $$ only thing is their set @ 50m. normally a high powered rifle scope is set to 100m--

vortex crossfire 2 2-7x35 ---these could be good scopes. they are made in china so the get no respect and are over shadowed by the diamondbacks and the vipers--that can sometimes be bought for only a few $$ more. might be worth a shot if you get a really good price on one.

the minox 3-9x 40 ZV3 -- i saw one of these the other day for $119! i damn near bought it till i found out it was made in CHINA. i know that this model has had some problems with the turrets --but that is supposedly fixable. they may be good scopes --a 3-9x 40 is a little big for an ar-15 for the field, many use um anyway.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

barska does have one or two scopes worth a look at least.

on of them you don't see or hear much about is a 6x42 euro 30mm scope with the 4a style sight picture. one of the neat things about it is it is a 30mm tube. most of the offset mounts are 30mms and are cheaper than the 25mm types. on my 25mm scope i had to buy inserts and they were like $18 for four pieces of plastic--LOL

being a fixed power it should hold up as long as the turrets last--provided the glass is decent it could be a good buy. it is on the heavy side compared to the weaver k6 & k4s. and the retail price is exactly one half what the weavers go for -- $ 65 shipped for the barska and the weavers generally are selling for $140ish.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

primary arms 1-4x24 vs optisan mamba

so far their stacking up pretty close.

the mamba has some what better glass and is a hair brighter. the mamba also has better illumination and can double as a red-dot type of sight. the mambas zoom ring also takes less travel. i tend to like the mamba better overall. the mamba has a lifetime warranty backed from SWFA. the PA only has one year.

the mamba is etched glass and the PA is wire i think--

the primary arms 1-4x does seem to have better turrets that have a solid clicks you can feel and hear. the optisan mamba has very fine clicks you can't feel but you can hear , sort of like a watch like deal with the optisan. to me the PA was more easy to zero in. the 4a sight style is better for some things compared to the ranging re-set to zero on the floating winged bubble of the mamba is less complicated.

both seem to hold there settings well. the outer-space uber hi-tek mall-ninja recticle on the mamba seems out of place on the retro colt nam era 605 --so it is going to get the PA . the classic 4a euro seems to fit in the the early 60s of the old colt a bit better.

the big draw back to any of these types of scopes is weight and size. they are as big as a 2-7x 35 and a bit more weight. the weigh in around 17 oz each not counting the mount.

so the add a bit more than a pound to your ar-15.

on a m4 style they don't seem to0 heavy but on a 16 inch h-bar you can sure tell that extra lb is there.

a lightweight scope like a k6/k4 that comes in at 10 oz might be a better fit for some. you can save an easy 1/2 lb if you shop for a light scope.

the 2-7x types or even 1.5-8x scopes with a optic back up sight mounted @ 45 degrees might be the ideal set up for the light weight full sized DRM rifle -- i'm currently working one up.

the 1-4x24s seem near perfect except for the weight on some of the H-bar 14.5s and 16" carbines.

there are some other scopes i haven't mentioned mainly cause i haven't used them myself but their worth a mention.

there is the 1.5-4x 20mm leupold scopes like the "hog-plex" that is sold over at midway for $229 these are lighter and smaller than the 1-4 24x 30mm scopes i have been using. their not illuminated but have good clear glass that is also very light weight and a bit more compact. so if weight is a huge factor and you can live with out a lighted up scope--they are worth a look as well.

same thing finding a reasonably useful lightweight reflex style optic for back up. the one ounce ones go for $200 the 4 oz ones $40--LOL!

i think i can lug that extra 3oz for $160 so it is all a trade off of some sort.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.