Gunco Forums banner

5.45x39 AR Failure to Feed

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  j427x 
#1 ·
I finished building up a 5.45 AR last night. Bolt head was made from a standard 5.56 bolt head opened up to .396. I brought along 6 different kinds of 5.56 magazines (magpul, troy, lancer, and a few different GI mags). If I drop a round into the upper receiver, with the bolt back, the bolt will load and chamber the round. Once I try it with a magazine, it strips the round and the bolt goes most of the way forward but binds up right before it gets to the barrel extension. It appears the round is canted slightly left to right. I know my first order of business is to get a 5.45 magazine. However, I am wondering if I have a different issue. Any ideas?

#5 ·
My theory is that the round is slightly canted in the chamber which is causing the bolt carrier to bind up. It is hard to tell since the round makes it most of the way into the chamber. Once I pull back on the charging handle, the round drops right into the chamber. I'll see if I can get pics. I ordered some 5.45 mags. I am going to see if it jams when the extractor is removed.

#7 ·
Well I figured out the issue. I ordered a few 5.45 mags. I received them last night and tested hand cycling. I was still getting the jam. I took it apart, and it was immediately obvious to me. The ejector was extended further than the front of the bolt. I guess when I put the roll pin through, it was pushed up against the ejector, and not through the slot. So a new roll pin was installed. I put it back together and it cycles perfectly. Easy fix, lesson learned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.