Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Polymer 80% lowers

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

im all for alum AR's & i have a bunch of them.. i keep bunches of everything..

you gotta remember bud.... i operate under the stance of ANY gun is better than no gun. everything has its purpose. stockpiles of ready to use weapons are good for exactly that... grab a gun and shoot until your dead.

that old "hand to hand" bullshit is exactly that. why take a tiny bullet thrower to a up close fight? if your planning on hand to hand? you dont want an AR anyway.

as to your list of things not to do? how many of those have YOU done & broke one?

i have dropped them, knocked them over, fell on them & even used them as a cane.. everything that i do with a alum m4...... still never broke one. however....... i am weapons conscious & believe in protecting the weapon first, me second.. so its always been a roll/landing.. its part of the drills you do for crash landing with a weapon....

what i wouldnt do is expect 1 to work as a club for more than 1 shot or as a sledge hammer. guess what? aluminums dont make good clubs either. the weak point in any AR is at the buffer tube connection.

but then again ive also got STEEL AR's... :-)
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dutigaf View Post
    im all for alum AR's & i have a bunch of them.. i keep bunches of everything..

you gotta remember bud.... i operate under the stance of ANY gun is better than no gun. everything has its purpose. stockpiles of ready to use weapons are good for exactly that... grab a gun and shoot until your dead.

that old "hand to hand" bullshit is exactly that. why take a tiny bullet thrower to a up close fight? if your planning on hand to hand? you dont want an AR

anyway.

thats bullshit. i have DONE hand to hand with the m4 --and your telling me thats bullshit? it happens a lot more than anyone would like to admit in QCB. why do you think we train in hand to hand?

so all that hand to had combat drills is a wast of time? i have cracked a few heads with the m4 -- it didn't break? can you say that for plastic?

as to your list of things not to do? how many of those have YOU done & broke one?

i have dropped them, knocked them over, fell on them & even used them as a cane.. everything that i do with a alum m4...... still never broke one. however....... i am weapons conscious & believe in protecting the weapon first, me second.. so its always been a roll/landing.. its part of the drills you do for crash landing with a weapon....

what i wouldnt do is expect 1 to work as a club for more than 1 shot or as a sledge hammer. guess what? aluminums dont make good clubs either. the weak point in any AR is at the buffer tube connection.

but then again ive also got STEEL AR's... :-)

a plastic AR that works is better than no ar-- but plastic is hardly a panacea of 'greatness"--

what would convince me a plastic ar lower is good?

have a rifle co of boots go through basic , their infantry AIT and some of their combat arms schools.

that would be about 90-120 rifles all of them plastic lowered. every time one of the breaks replace that one with a forging.

in none of them are broke the plastics are good to go.

no i haven't bought one other than the nylon cav and it has done OK--though the front pin are looks a little thin.

and if you don't know hand to hand what service were you in?

if you think plastics are good enough fine for you. i offered to test on of that other clowns plastics --he wasn't sporting , cause i suspect HE knew it was crap.

nothing drastic , just a few 10ft falls and a few side impacts -- right out of the m-16 socom tests from the 1980s --

there is also a 20ft drop and a 50ft drop-- lets just see how many 10ft drops the lower can stand on an assembled m16.

then call me back.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    a plastic AR that works is better than no ar-- but plastic is hardly a panacea of 'greatness"--

have a rifle co of boots go through basic , their infantry AIT and some of their combat arms schools.

that would be about 90-120 rifles all of them plastic lowered. every time one of the breaks replace that one with a forging.

no i haven't bought one other than the nylon cav and it has done OK--though the front pin are looks a little thin.

if you think plastics are good enough fine for you. i offered to test on of that other clowns plastics --he wasn't sporting , cause i suspect HE knew it was crap.

nothing drastic , just a few 10ft falls and a few side impacts -- right out of the m-16 socom tests from the 1980s --

there is also a 20ft drop and a 50ft drop-- lets just see how many 10ft drops the lower can stand on an assembled m16.

then call me back.
    If I may... the problem with the current crop of "plastic" lowers is that no thought was put into them regarding the design considering making it out of Polymer. In addition most, if not all current poly lowers are made from reinforced ABS.

Where we feel we differ is that we are using higher grade (more expensive) materials AND just look at the Polymer80, ESPECIALLY where all these other lowers continually break. Another issue is the manufacturing process itself. Due to the "Reinforcement" of carbon fiber, fiber glass, and "kevlar", it actually severely weakens the impact resistance of the lower. And impact resistance is key, especially in the buffer tube ring area and drop tests. The Polymer80 has no such reinforcement as Polycarbonate performs great without it. Thus, the impact resistance is MUCH better. It our performs even aluminum.

Just a SMALL sample of a drop test that is more focused such as one your were looking for where Polymer out performs metal:

It can be done, it just has to be done right. In my assessment, many ar Poly manufacturers rely TOO MUCH on the polymer alone and do nothing to the design to optimize the product for an AR15. This is what makes Polymer80 stand alone and out from everyone else.

Feedback Score

then call me back.
    And I accept your challenge here. I would love to see how ours does on these tests. I will some with mine and film it. I am not afraid of it.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Polymer80 View Post
    If I may... the problem with the current crop of "plastic" lowers is that no thought was put into them regarding the design considering making it out of Polymer. In addition most, if not all current poly lowers are made from reinforced ABS.

Where we feel we differ is that we are using higher grade (more expensive) materials AND just look at the Polymer80, ESPECIALLY where all these other lowers continually break. Another issue is the manufacturing process itself. Due to the "Reinforcement" of carbon fiber, fiber glass, and "kevlar", it actually severely weakens the impact resistance of the lower. And impact resistance is key, especially in the buffer tube ring area and drop tests. The Polymer80 has no such reinforcement as Polycarbonate performs great without it. Thus, the impact resistance is MUCH better. It our performs even aluminum.

Just a SMALL sample of a drop test that is more focused such as one your were looking for where Polymer out performs metal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biMkNYWAzIk&hd=1

It can be done, it just has to be done right. In my assessment, many ar Poly manufacturers rely TOO MUCH on the polymer alone and do nothing to the design to optimize the product for an AR15. This is what makes Polymer80 stand alone and out from everyone else.
    i do agree. i never said it could not be done. my argument is i haven't see one yet that is even close to DOD requirements.

you may well be to an answer to the plastic lower problem. at least you are taking steps to harden certain failure prone areas. this is at least hopeful that you might find a durable and proper solution.

the most recent plastic failure i have seen was some kid over torqued one on the buffer tube. it didn't break but it did pull the threads out of the lower-- it is a replacement for one that he sent back after it broke off-- in the same spot.

this is not YOUR lower or any of the newer ones or 80% on the links , it is one of the crop from a year or so back. i won't post the brand name as i don't want to pee in any bodys cherrioos cause them might have that brand and think it is the best ever--

good to see your a sporting chap!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

J,

its not that i "cant/couldnt" do hand to hand... i do whatevers needed to protect my family.. at ANY level...any time.

what type of AR you have in your hand isnt going to matter if a guy grabs you & wants to wrestle/fuk you... thats more of a contest of who's the most committed & how far will you go. been doing combat sports since i was a kid... been fighting big ugly dudes since was a dumb teenager.. but as you get older your supposed to get smarter in your approach. not take your fist to a knife fight, dont take a knife to a gun fight... dont take a small lightweight rifle to beat down a door.

i wouldnt take ANY AR to beat down a door.. thats why we have door busters & shotguns. personally? i'll never have to beat down another door. im too old & if its that serious in the future im just gonna burn them out thru a window.

now as polymer80 said above.. (& im on his list and waiting on them to get here) nothing wrong with testing as long as you go apples to apples... ive seen these things beat on with a hammer & not break & still function... bet i can hit a aluminum AR exactly the same way & it busts...

the steel AR's are the strongest thing out there. i like them a lot. maybe you should try one of those. want me to give you a link? just bring your big boy muscles cause lots of AR rangers think they are too heavy. :-)

if i swing an aluminum AR at a door knob & it breaks are you gonna quit using them? OF COURSE NOT. because we all know it happens all the time to aluminum ones too.. thats not what the gun was designed for. same for a polymer AR.. they didnt design it to be a sledge hammer or door broacher..

what ive said all along is that they are fine for everyday use, shooting & defense...

think about it... do we do anything in this hobby the way we did in 2002? everything changes & sometimes its good.. others not so much..
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score

i do agree. i never said it could not be done. my argument is i haven't see one yet that is even close to DOD requirements.

you may well be to an answer to the plastic lower problem. at least you are taking steps to harden certain failure prone areas. this is at least hopeful that you might find a durable and proper solution.

the most recent plastic failure i have seen was some kid over torqued one on the buffer tube. it didn't break but it did pull the threads out of the lower-- it is a replacement for one that he sent back after it broke off-- in the same spot.

this is not YOUR lower or any of the newer ones or 80% on the links , it is one of the crop from a year or so back. i won't post the brand name as i don't want to pee in any bodys cherrioos cause them might have that brand and think it is the best ever--

good to see your a sporting chap!
    Thanks, and yes I really do want to build an AR polymer that will stand up to DOD tests and requirements. We feel we have a damn good product but we are always thinking of ways to improve it. Even if it falls a bit short in some areas as I know it will beat metal in others, that's OK... all that does is tell where we need to focus.

We have done enough testing to know that this lower TOUGH and can handle very rugged use. But I still want it to be even better and it will be as time goes on. I am not afraid of challenges and I am not afraid to push my product beyond its limits. This is another thing that will only make the Polymer80 the best lower money can buy. (another goal of mine).

We are soon going to have our final products and be shipping but in the mean time, after reading this post, I was intrigued. I assembled one of our previous out-of-spec prototypes and did some 10 foot drop tests onto concrete, after 8 drops, all there were only scuff marks, some of them pretty bad. On drop number nine, the buffer tube was jarred and skipped a thread one side, cause the the tube to not be set exactly straight. The good news... no cracks, no breaks and I was able to unscrew and reset the buffer tube and no issues.

Also on these the walls around the tube are a bit thinner than the final products, so the final ones will preform even better.

I will film the tests on the final product and I will post it here as well.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Polymer80 View Post
    Thanks, and yes I really do want to build an AR polymer that will stand up to DOD tests and requirements. We feel we have a damn good product but we are always thinking of ways to improve it. Even if it falls a bit short in some areas as I know it will beat metal in others, that's OK... all that does is tell where we need to focus.

We have done enough testing to know that this lower TOUGH and can handle very rugged use. But I still want it to be even better and it will be as time goes on. I am not afraid of challenges and I am not afraid to push my product beyond its limits. This is another thing that will only make the Polymer80 the best lower money can buy. (another goal of mine).

We are soon going to have our final products and be shipping but in the mean time, after reading this post, I was intrigued. I assembled one of our previous out-of-spec prototypes and did some 10 foot drop tests onto concrete, after 8 drops, all there were only scuff marks, some of them pretty bad. On drop number nine, the buffer tube was jarred and skipped a thread one side, cause the the tube to not be set exactly straight. The good news... no cracks, no breaks and I was able to unscrew and reset the buffer tube and no issues.

Also on these the walls around the tube are a bit thinner than the final products, so the final ones will preform even better.

I will film the tests on the final product and I will post it here as well.

you got to put some kind of barreled upper on there to to simulate the stress and weight of a assembled rifle , and maybe some kind of rubber duck optic. and a simulated full mag.

i don't think anybody expects it be quite as strong as the real deal, but it needs to be at least 80% as strong as DOD specs say it has to be.

the polymer cav-arms lower is pretty tough, but miss use can break them -- a few of them got busted by putting a rifle buffer in the car buffer only tube--

i haven't broke the cav-arms yet , i have treated it pretty hard as it has served as a truck/tractor gun for the lase few years.

i'm not quite confident in it yet to say it is ok to air-drop into the sand box with, but it is certainly good enough for about anything a civilian might need it for.

and yea its plastic--LOL

Feedback Score

you got to put some kind of barreled upper on there to to simulate the stress and weight of a assembled rifle , and maybe some kind of rubber duck optic. and a simulated full mag.

i don't think anybody expects it be quite as strong as the real deal, but it needs to be at least 80% as strong as DOD specs say it has to be.

the polymer cav-arms lower is pretty tough, but miss use can break them -- a few of them got busted by putting a rifle buffer in the car buffer only tube--

i haven't broke the cav-arms yet , i have treated it pretty hard as it has served as a truck/tractor gun for the lase few years.

i'm not quite confident in it yet to say it is ok to air-drop into the sand box with, but it is certainly good enough for about anything a civilian might need it for.

and yea its plastic--LOL
    I did put an upper on it... it was completely built out. And Cav arms is great stuff, don't mind giving credit where its due.

and eventually... Plastic will be the new metal. =)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

have you or have you not trained in hand to hand combat?

no doubt you can break a forging, but that takes some effort. BTw i like the steel lowers--

Quote Originally Posted by dutigaf View Post
    J,

its not that i "cant/couldnt" do hand to hand... i do whatevers needed to protect my family.. at ANY level...any time.

what type of AR you have in your hand isnt going to matter if a guy grabs you & wants to wrestle/fuk you... thats more of a contest of who's the most committed & how far will you go. been doing combat sports since i was a kid... been fighting big ugly dudes since was a dumb teenager.. but as you get older your supposed to get smarter in your approach. not take your fist to a knife fight, dont take a knife to a gun fight... dont take a small lightweight rifle to beat down a door.

i wouldnt take ANY AR to beat down a door.. thats why we have door busters & shotguns. personally? i'll never have to beat down another door. im too old & if its that serious in the future im just gonna burn them out thru a window.

now as polymer80 said above.. (& im on his list and waiting on them to get here) nothing wrong with testing as long as you go apples to apples... ive seen these things beat on with a hammer & not break & still function... bet i can hit a aluminum AR exactly the same way & it busts...

the steel AR's are the strongest thing out there. i like them a lot. maybe you should try one of those. want me to give you a link? just bring your big boy muscles cause lots of AR rangers think they are too heavy. :-)

if i swing an aluminum AR at a door knob & it breaks are you gonna quit using them? OF COURSE NOT. because we all know it happens all the time to aluminum ones too.. thats not what the gun was designed for. same for a polymer AR.. they didnt design it to be a sledge hammer or door broacher..

what ive said all along is that they are fine for everyday use, shooting & defense...

think about it... do we do anything in this hobby the way we did in 2002? everything changes & sometimes its good.. others not so much..

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

80 polymer

polymer 80

polymer 80 blem sale

polymer 80 lower review
polymer 80 lowers on sale
polymer 80 sale missouri

polymer lowers breaking

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.