Thread: 50mm scope for ar-15?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Exclamation 50mm scope for ar-15?

the current trend for the ar-15 seems to be for close up CQC types of scopes like the ACOG or 1-4x 24mm big game scopes.

the current trend is to try to extend the 1-4x types out to 6x or more the few cheaper types of 1-6x i have looked through seemed to lose a lot of light at 6x, the more expensive ones do much better but even then they can't really compete with a 2-7x 32with equal glass.

sure you can make the 1-6x or more work but they get expensive pretty quick, that $$ could be spent better elsewhere i figure ( for survival prep)

PA is coming out with a 1-6x 24mm like their excellent 1-4x for about $250, is is supposed to have low end japan glass like a nikon pro-staff or better. it could be great but it could have a very tight eye box as many of the 1-4x are sort of tight --the extra mag might make it even more critical. so i'll have to wait and see on um myself.

many like the tweener types of scopes like 2-7x32s and such as a economical solution .

the 1-4x types of big game scopes and the 2-7x32 and so on do have a weight problem --most of the 2-7x types weigh in at about 13 oz and most of the 1-4x 24mm scopes weigh in at about 16 oz or one lb--

so neither of them are saving much if any weight over a 3-9x40 or even a 3-9x50mm.

taking a few measurements on some of burris one piece mounts -- it looks like a 50mm scope would clear nicely.

now i know that some people use 50mm scopes for night time coyote hunting and hog hunting with no artificial light.

now SWFA has some minox 2-9X50 scope with the #4 post for $199 in their samples list.

i'm just thinking --wonder how that big glass would do come dark? would it be useful IF you scrounging around at night in a SHTF type of world?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

The only issue I run into with the 50mm and bigger objectives is,, a decent cheek weld,, sense you have to mount them so darn high. On a fixed stock you'll sometimes need a stick-on shotgun type pad, or the bolt on risers and on sliding stocks you might need the snap on type risers if you get to large an objective from my experiences. On the lower power scopes though,,the large objectives are real nice for dusk and dawn applications, even with some of the higher power scopes they help allot.

It seems like one improvement almost always requires an extra step to make things work just right together sometimes.

A good example is the 6-24 Millett I put on my AR platform,, it ended up so damn high it needed the screw-on riser to fit right, but made the gun so bulky it kinda defeated the purpose of the light weight AR platform. I might's just as well use my Ruger 308 target gun when all is said and done. They both ended up about the same size and weight, plus the 308 has more balls at range.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i know 50mm scopes ain't real popular with the bolt guns.

the kind of mounts i have look to be able to clear a 50mm without much room to spare so it is going to be about as low as possible. the scope is going to be the same height as before only bigger front glass--

the weight of the scope is about 15 1/2 oz about the same as the 40mm are-- about the same length too-- 12.4" only big concern is that 50mm bell in the front--

i think i got enough room--but i have been wrong before--LOL!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Ya,,,,I've been wrong more times than I'd like to admit on that count j427x,,,,,,,but only by a few thousandths. Don't amount to much , it mights just as well be 1/4",,, it STILL WONT FIT!!!! Unless you want something to see around corners with!!

I've got a couple bolt guns that there can't be .050 clearance on the barrel to the objective. That's why I like to keep a couple sets of rings of each height and by a couple different manufactures around. I've found even though they say they are "X" height, there can be some minute differences in height between manufactures, sometimes quite a bit actually. It's pretty handy having those when you go to switching scopes around, sometimes it only takes that .050 to clear!!

Not having a decent cheek weld is one of my pet peeves!!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i got a can full of one piece mounts --most are china made copies of the burris mount--

i think i got a few MMs to spare--LOL--but maybe i dont--china quality you got to love it!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

took some information from their sight --looks like the front bell is closer to 62mm--

62mm looks to clear on the ar-15 with my mounts --from my china quality calipers.

however their 32mm has a max exit pupil of 20mm @ 1.5x --the 3x 50 shows slightly less light-- and the 2x 50 slightly more -- the 40mm slight behind the 32 @ 2x

lower mag looks more important to overall light gathering --

i ordered the 32mm version instead-- i hope it is a winner and not a weiner--LOL!

the 50mm with the 62mm bell is a no-go on my savage bolt gun --rings would have to be up on stilts for it--LOL

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I know about the stilt thing, I've got a 8mm Mauser like that. One of these days I've got to get that bolt handle bent more to make it usable.

Whoever did the bolt handle didn't think it through very well and any scope you mount has to be on a skyscraper mount to clear. You damn near need to put your chin on the cheek rest to get a sight picture. Sad part there's only a couple smiths around here now and one I know nothing about, the other does mostly high end custom work and he's very very expensive and along ways away, that guy wants $450 just to ream a chamber.

GIVE ME A BREAK,, it's not rocket science or even difficult, $450,,,I doubt it!!! I was going to have him do the chamber on the Mauser I got from Bellson I'd like to go from 308 to 06, but not for that much I won't.
    Used to have a bending jig but lent it out and never got it back, now it's been so long I don't remember who in the hell I lent it to. I Hate that,,,,when that happens!!!

Meanwhile the Mauser lingers in the back of the safe, to bad to, it's a real good shooter too. It's nothing fancy at all and just a plain hunting gun, but I just can't seem to miss with that gun for some reason ,it shoots very well.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.