Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Centerfire ar kit

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

on the ar-15/m16 the headspace in on the barrel extension. the barrel extension threads on the barrel and is set to a standard HS if the barrel is properly set up.

to change the headspace on a barrel/barrel extension you would have to remove the set pin and tighten or loosen the barrel extension to get the correct space, then re insert the barrel pin. the downside is if the gas port is drilled it is now going to be "off".

Hess/Vulcan and SARCO have shipped barrels with the gas port off that was either welded over and re drilled of just left canted. pretty messy job to clean up a furbar. it is usually cheaper to replace than fix it.

a new barrel and a new bolt will work perfectly (mostly) and a new bolt and a used barrel are generally OK , a used barrel and a used bolt from another set up may be out--

generally it pays to check them all. the modular AR/M16 will generally have the HS on the money PROVIDED the makers stuck to the blueprint specs for the barrel/bolt. 99.5% of the time they do on s USGI type build.

on match type builds sometimes the chamber has to be honed cause they will set the HS to standard but leave a overly tight chamber for the smith to finish.

some makers on exotic conversions like 6.5G and 6.8SPC have used a not standard HS on the bolt and the extension.

Quote Originally Posted by frige View Post
    The barrel came in. Looks really nice. Funny ars seem to be a lot easier to assemble than a ak. I saw on youtube how to check headspace but cant for the life of me figure how to change it if it was wrong. The riffle just slips together.

Lower is probably still a couple of weeks out, they sent me a email saying they will ship in 5-7 days. Bummer I am ready to go shootin.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

on the ar-15/m16 the headspace in on the barrel extension. the barrel extension threads on the barrel and is set to a standard HS if the barrel is properly set up.

to change the headspace on a barrel/barrel extension you would have to remove the set pin and tighten or loosen the barrel extension to get the correct space, then re insert the barrel pin. the downside is if the gas port is drilled it is now going to be "off".

Hess/Vulcan and SARCO have shipped barrels with the gas port off that was either welded over and re drilled of just left canted. pretty messy job to clean up a furbar. it is usually cheaper to replace than fix it.

a new barrel and a new bolt will work perfectly (mostly) and a new bolt and a used barrel are generally OK , a used barrel and a used bolt from another set up may be out--

generally it pays to check them all. the modular AR/M16 will generally have the HS on the money PROVIDED the makers stuck to the blueprint specs for the barrel/bolt. 99.5% of the time they do on s USGI type build.

on match type builds sometimes the chamber has to be honed cause they will set the HS to standard but leave a overly tight chamber for the smith to finish.

some makers on exotic conversions like 6.5G and 6.8SPC have used a not standard HS on the bolt and the extension.

Quote Originally Posted by frige View Post
    The barrel came in. Looks really nice. Funny ars seem to be a lot easier to assemble than a ak. I saw on youtube how to check headspace but cant for the life of me figure how to change it if it was wrong. The riffle just slips together.

Lower is probably still a couple of weeks out, they sent me a email saying they will ship in 5-7 days. Bummer I am ready to go shootin.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Got a email, lower will be here Wednesday.

"Shakin' it over here, boss"

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

I'm jealous Frige. Congrats on the kit. One of these days after weddings, more grand babies coming, and the economy maybe I'll be able to assemble the retro AR that I want. I'm wanting a close copy of what I carried in the Marine Corps back in the early 1980's.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Apex just got a sh*t load of M-16 parts but they are not selling kits?????????????, they come/returned from Malaysia
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Its all together I am going to try and go to the range today to check it out.

"Shakin' it over here, boss"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.