Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GWAC/cav-arms lower build with PTAC $29 LPK FCG

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Postak GWAC/cav-arms lower build with PTAC $29 LPK FCG

just got around to the final assembly of that GWAC--cav arms polymer lower that i got on the group buy from mad months ago.

as most know i have had a cav-arms polymer a1 style lower since about 06. it has seen some hard use around the farm as truck/atv/horseback/loaner--and as a test bed for caliber conversions. it has been used with 7.62x39, 5.45, 6.5, 6.8spc and the like.

the cav has been pretty tough the only problems i have found with it over the years is that certain mags wouldn't drop free , the rear compartment sometimes would fly open, the pins exit on the wrong side and are a PITA to keep up with. and the biggie --it uses a CAR style buffer and spring, now i found this a bit limiting as i like to run the big rifle buffer set up with the more "bump" rounds --though this can be worked around.

i do find the loss of 1Lb a good thing on some of my heavy barreled uppers.

the new GWAC is pretty much the same lower with a few subtle improvements , they did away with the stowage compartment in the butt-stock, the mag well fit is improved and i have yet to find a mag that don't fall free empty. the pin set up is the same though the pins do seem to fit tighter than in the old cav lower. of course this could be from just years of abuse on the cav.

i bought one of them $29 P=tac LPKs from PSA to finish up the GWAC --all i can say is it went together super easy. i would have to say this was the quickest assembly i have ever done, i suppose not having those little fiddely flea-pin things that stop the front pin really speeds things up.

another big plus is it seems to have a very good stock trigger. it feels as good as some of my 15min mod triggers except i haven't modded anything.

now the last P-tac trigger set i got was a bit gritty and hard. but after a bunch of polishing, spring bending and so on got it up to "OK" levels of pull and feel.

now this trigger/FCG --feels very good out of the box, as good as the other one AFTER all the work.

don't know if i got lucky and just got a good FCG for a change or that this GWAC has more precise pin locations for the FCG --but the end result is a very smooth stock trigger set up.

normally you can give me a plastic lower --but these GWAC/cavs have some advantages.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

i tagged this thread just because it was you & a poly set up. :-)
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i never said ALL plastics are bad just MOST of them suck.

this is one of the few--very few that are up to somewhat rough treatment. i suppose you could still yank the pins out and take the plastic with it. a few cavs have busted over the years --but it did take a little work.

all the other plastic lowers -- i generally wouldn't turn around in the road for one.

i'm still up for testing the shear strength on those plastic uppers IF anyone wants to know how strong or fragile these things can be--

so far no takers--

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

all you gotta do is spend $49 and buy one & you can test it all you want...

everyone would love to see it. it could be "YOUR TURN" to do the testing for the hobby.. step up!

but just for you i will link you to the first "good" set of tests ive really seen on a high strength poly lower:

note } these only apply to the hybrid lower....

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

a good test for a polymer would include heating and cooling and impact/sheer pressure on a device i figure a 10lb iron weight dropped on a 6ft swing would be enough to test its strength.

it would have to be assembled into the working parts of a firearm and the stock would have to be attached and torqued to the proper ft-lbs

but here is where the problems are going to show up-- the lower is going to be heated to 130F and tested for the threads pulling out-- then tested again at room 74F, then tested at 0 f--

if it survives impacts at these temps and don't get stripped out then it probably good enough.

i don't get you-tube as im strictly dial up.

Quote Originally Posted by dutigaf View Post
    all you gotta do is spend $49 and buy one & you can test it all you want...

everyone would love to see it. it could be "YOUR TURN" to do the testing for the hobby.. step up!

but just for you i will link you to the first "good" set of tests ive really seen on a high strength poly lower:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SITSIQeKGiE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd2Re96sYVM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxaCnKILQSQ

note } these only apply to the hybrid lower....

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

shame you dont get the vids i posted for you...

they run over it with a 11,000 pound fork truck... they hang 285 pounds on the buffer tube while installed ... & of course the drop test.. they exceed ALL the military tests with this hybrid....

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

nice video's, my ep 80% don't need to meet those standards, they need to meet the standard of when I pull it out of the tube I buired that it will function, when the NATO or American Stassi come to get me. you know your a true patriot when that happens

I am not a firm believer in one has to make a youtube or any tube video as proof they did a build , if you look at video two that Dutigaf put up, you will note the EP build video on the right, that video made by some unknown loser who stole my info to make name for himself

I am real impressed aren't you
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

sprat,
    ive got no clue who your talking about... but yes im actually pretty impressed with these HYBRID combo lowers... ive got "a few" now.... they are AWESOME... super beefy... big finger grip area for gloves... reinforced pin holes & takedown holes... plus the metal liner in them.. very impressive for $49 in a 100% receiver.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

you will note the EP build video on the right,
    Those videos that show up on the right change every time you go there, you'll need to post a link to it so we know which one you mean.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

yep sorry guys

it was a stupid youtube video, you know the type : I can do what others have done, but I posted the video type, there sit back read a tutorial on line then make a youtube video,
    I should have posted the link and dutigaf was not refering to you or anyone on this site or WG ( This time )
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.