Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: my new EXTAR EXP 556

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Default my new EXTAR EXP 556

here is the stock pic & then .....lets get to this.....

EXP556.jpg

look at right side, left side, muzzle brake & that weird front pin/hook.

now the exploder view

now lets compare that to the YUGO PAP.

on to the talk part.................

holy crap this is light!

you can see in the pix that this thing is the exact size of the YUGO PAP so for you pistol fans that gives you what you want to know. what it doesnt tell you is that it is LESS THAN HALF THE WEIGHT of the YUGO!!

thats no joke & no industry BS. its so light its ridiculous. my Para P14 is heavier than this.

why? ok lets get into it.

its ALL polymer. Lower.... UPPER.... FCG... theres just not another ounce to shave off of this.

breaking it down:

THE LOWER: is the Poly Frontier Arms lower with the glove relief in it. it has NO THREADS in the rear tower section. So its purpose built for this. could you use a regular lower? probably, but i cant swear to it. since they dont sell it as just an upper its kinda a non issue. it has the all poly FCG which actually has held up well in everything we've shot with them and the discon actually works vs lots of the steel ones you get nowdays that are not consistent. i dont care for the poly mag release or take down pins, but until they fail im not going to mess with it.

THE UPPER: its all poly with a reinforcing tube out to the front. thats NOT the gas tube. its only purpose is for strength & stiffness. it has a shortened bolt and reworked gas tube connection point that lets the spring ride inside the top where the charging handle used to be. this is pin mounted at the rear in that bolted on cap to the lower. which brings us to that funny front hook. a non traditional front hook instead of a loop ... why? beats me, but it works. Ghost ring site, which just happened to be busted on mine from the factory or in transit... (they are sending me another one already)

THE SHOOTING: well its 5* here so i ran 10 rounds thru it real quickly from a magpul window mag. 55grn stuff... standard 5.56 load. that muzzle brake is the most amazing one ive ever shot on a pistol. this thing has basically ZERO recoil. what it lacks in recoil it makes up in concussion wave. VERY VERY loud. this thing is right there with my 1" Super Shorty's in Ak74 & 47 on the boom factor... but with no recoil. this will be a blast (literally) on a mag dump.

THE AIMING: its point and shoot folks. simple as that. from 75' i put all 10 rounds in my 5 gallon bucket. first 6 were 2 handed... last 4 were 1 handed.

OVERALL: im totally against 5.56 in anything & all my AR's are in 5.45, x39, x25.... but this was a hell of a lot of fun. low priced, easy to go over/tear down..

now that ive got it the next thing will be seeing about changing it over to 5.45. :-)
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score

Sweet looking! How much for it? Not yours I can tell but at the store. Looks fun. I had a bushmaster arm in the 80's but it would only run with colt 20 rd mags.used to take flash suppressor off on overcast days to see the fireball! Shooting a frozen over pond was fun too watching chunks of ice flying. 30 years ago.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

There is always a way to make a trip sear rod, Ill have to see how I can get a postie lower under that thing
    Pryotex is TEC Tactical, A Licensed 07/SOT

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

The front sight/ gas block looks like it's on backwards to me, I never saw a front sight set that way before with the angled part facing the shooter????? Weird,,,

No plastic AR or much of anything else for me thanks. The 380 Bodyguard is as far as I want to go with plastic.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

thats NOT a gas tube up top.

its just a support rod. :-)

the gas tube is under the handgaurd.

i just wouldnt try a FA on this... but will get a mag dump soon as it warms up a little.

my 5.45 version of this will probably be an all aluminum set up.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Not the reinforcement rod thinngy the gas block sight combo itself,, look at the way the front sight sits and the angled part of the gas block is backwards from the Draco shown next to it. That's what I'm referring to.

See how the front is angled towards the muzzle on the Extar. And on the Draco the front is perpendicular to the muzzle and the angled part is oriented towards the receiver? It gives me the illusion of being backward compared to looking at any other gas block/ front sight ones you normally see on most other gas tube firearms.

See what I mean? It caught my eye right off and just looked strange/different to me.

Feedback Score

I was thinking the same thing at first look. Guess I've been looking at AK's for too long! LOL

That is a sweet looking pistol. Could you post some better pics of the muzzle brake? Looks interesting. Dutigaf, does it have the front slots all the way around the diameter?

Quote Originally Posted by twa2471 View Post
    Not the reinforcement rod thinngy the gas block sight combo itself,, look at the way the front sight sits and the angled part of the gas block is backwards from the Draco shown next to it. That's what I'm referring to.

See how the front is angled towards the muzzle on the Extar. And on the Draco the front is perpendicular to the muzzle and the angled part is oriented towards the receiver? It gives me the illusion of being backward compared to looking at any other gas block/ front sight ones you normally see on most other gas tube firearms.

See what I mean? It caught my eye right off and just looked strange/different to me.
    “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference- they deserve a place of honor with all that is good.” George Washington

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    George Washington

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

That .223 would have made it when the pistol 3 lb rule was in effect. And at $450 it is a deal. Nice!
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Yup,, me to ken3030,,that must be it!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

i see what you mean on the site now...

hadnt put any thought into it... they put the flat to the back with the rod...

muzzle brake: the slots only are on the side and that big angled one on the top.

gotta admit the muzzle brake is pretty dang impressive. its the most effective one ive run across on a pistol build.

as to better pictures? LMAO im well know all across the hobby for taking the crappiest pictures out there. im just lousy at it. what is it you want me to try and focus on?

oh BTW: this is rated for 5.56 & thats all ive put thru it. :-)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

exp 556
extar 556 mods
extar exp 556 449

extar exp 556 for sale

extar exp gas block

extar exp-556 pistol review

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.