Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: O.K. j4. ready to build..

Feedback Score

Kernel, I just always figured that there would be normal manufacturing problems, like you never buy a car made on Monday or Friday and the "third-shift" anomalies that happen in almost every manufacturing situation, would rear its ugly head. I just assumed that every thing had to be smoothed out and double checked and fitted before everything was tightened up.
    Now I realize I have no idea the order of the manufacturing step with say the AR barrel, but are you saying its impossible to receive a barrel with the threads out of phase? Cool, if true.
    Hunter

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_02 View Post
    Kernel, I just always figured that there would be normal manufacturing problems, like you never buy a car made on Monday or Friday and the "third-shift" anomalies that happen in almost every manufacturing situation, would rear its ugly head. I just assumed that every thing had to be smoothed out and double checked and fitted before everything was tightened up.
    Now I realize I have no idea the order of the manufacturing step with say the AR barrel, but are you saying its impossible to receive a barrel with the threads out of phase? Cool, if true.
    Hunter
    Which threads? The muzzle threads are not timed, that is why the A2 flash suppressors used peel washers to clock the slots properly. The rear threads for the bbl extension may be timed, I never checked them as all the bbl's I have used already had the extension installed. They were all correct. I would assume the easiest way to manufacture one would be to install the extension and then use it to index the bbl in a drilling fixture for the gas port and locating pin hole. Less labor and scrap that way.

Back in the day, I assembled literally dozens of AR15s for an FFL, mostly OlyArms kits. OlyArms is usually considered one of the "lower tier" makers these days. In all those rifles, I never had to fit a single part with the exception of the disconnectors I mentioned. Some would malfunction due to poor disco shape, firing on the pull and release. We replaced those with Colt branded replacements and had no issues after.

Can a maker produce a "bad" AR15 part that doesn't work without fitting or modification? Sure, no one's perfect. But it is the exception rather than the rule, and personally I would return it for a replacement if it was out of spec to the point it took more than a minute or two of fitting. I did run into this issue just a few months ago assembling a friend's new AR, he had purchased a cheap imported M4 style stock and the buffer tube wouldn't thread into the receiver more than a couple turns before stopping. He exchanged it for a US made one that screwed in with no issues. Could I have lapped them together? Sure, and then an hour later he would have a receiver with loose threads if he ever changed the buffer tube, and the anodizing would have been gone. Here at the auto shop I work at, we replace a fair number of axles on front wheel drive cars. Every brand we've tried, some come in with the splines smashed from getting knocked around in transit. Now, I could grab a file and redo those splines to make them fit, but why? The parts store simply sends out another one and I don't spend $30 worth of shop time fixing something that should be right in the first place.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up

Good Man kernel.. Where were you when me and my Marine Gunny Bro were trying to figure how to put the damn bolt and charging handle in.. 25 years in the Marines, I just started at him in amazement..
    We finally figured it out when we sobered up in the morning..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

assemble/ build --who gives a flying F%&c anyway?

when dug herbert calles an engine a "motor" are you going to go around correcting HIM? man has been running top fuel for decades-- his dad chet has been in the roller cam biz since the early 1950s , when dug was a kid i think he had 50w racing oil in his baby formula!

how about mongo? your going to tell mongo -- hey you didn't build that ar-15--!!! you just assembled it!--

ya better hope mongo is having a good day that day-- LOL!

if mongo snaps a upper and lower into an ar-15 he can say he built it as far as i am concerned. LOL!

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
    That is my truck gun.. Down here in the swamps we have to be ready for anything.. Yes it works, that is velcro tabs on those there mags.. Yah just snap one off when empty and slam another in..
    Here is my home defense quad AKs for varmints.. Double stack 100 round drums..
    That is amazing man. Beautiful.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

― Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jimraynor21 View Post
    That is amazing man. Beautiful.
    jim.. I ran with Mongo when he was down here.. Oh my God. When he is done with his beer, he eats the glass.
    He need special oversize trigger guards just to shoot his AR.. He was in Nam, for real, and they just mounted a 105 on his back and fed him.. Friggen incredible.. Dude is bad...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

4th what long barreled pistol is he holding in that pic LOL
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    4th what long barreled pistol is he holding in that pic LOL
    Coils. No that is a full size AR we got at Tactical Machine.. We really had to get those winter trigger guards or whatever the hell they are for his finger to fit.. That aint photo shopped..
    6' 5" just shy of 400 lbs..
    Poor wife cooked a huge Easter dinner last year, night before Easter.. He came home pissed up and ate the ham and half the turkey. She beat his head in. He was here begging me for a ham, where the hell am I going to get an extra ham on Easter?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

LOL 4th! is is a good idea not to PO a guy that totes a m4 as a sidearm!--LOL

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Does he have an ankle holster for that?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.