Gunco Forums banner

ghost gun AR CNC... yup.

19K views 114 replies 27 participants last post by  mtdew 
#1 ·
ive got a thread over at WG on this new toy....

its pretty much exactly what it says.

its a fully contained, dedicated baby CNC that is designed to just do AR's (10's & 1911's coming)..

is it a full size CNC pro machine? NO

is it a private size hobby machine? YES

its a great discussion both pro & con over there.. figured we might as well have it here for those who dont go to both sites.

check it out:

https://ghostgunner.net/index.html

[video=youtube;xwRtll3jjU4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwRtll3jjU4[/video]

#4 ·
Like I said when someone posted the Modulus jig thing, this will all be illegal in a minute.
I'd swear they hired a group of mega democrats to make the video, it begs for people to call their politicians and demand new laws. I'm surprised they didn't show dead school children in the video.
I doubt the NRA will stand up and fight for this hobby.
I knew about this pricey mini cnc but didn't watch the vid, and I shouldn't have.
I'm glad (as I posted before, and want to reaffirm here again) that all parts kits that I own and all "80%" receivers in my possession were completed into legal firearms a few weeks ago. At least they'll be grandfathered in (hopefully) when the news laws arrive.
I also hope I don't have another boating accident, like the one that took most of my firearms back in the day. I'll never forget that stormy night.

#5 ·
Ghost Gun has been said for yrs now. I can see a problem with selling it with software to "Complete" a gun but that is a simple correction. Sell them without the software and Freeware the programs. Hell I wrote my Gcode for the FCG holes and FCG pocket in 15 min and it now spits out lowers in 9 min.

The nice thing about this, you do not need to do ONLY AR15's in it, Clamp a block in and get a AR FCG setup for any custom build.

#6 ·
First off, the video as a whole was awesome. That senator is such a bag of dicks.

Second, $1000 to be able to do that is absolutely amazing!

#7 ·
They should be proud of themselves, they made it to the Yahoo home page.

"It's about to get a whole lot easier to make a semi-automatic rifle at home with no serial number, no background check, and no waiting period. Cody Wilson, the libertarian behind the world's first 3D-printed gun, is now selling an all-in-one desktop CNC mill, called the Ghost Gunner. It can produce an aluminum lower receiver of an AR-15 rifle — the civilian version of the military's M-16 assault rifle — in a couple of hours.

The lower receiver, which connects the stock, barrel, magazine, and other parts of the gun together, is the component that is legally considered to be a firearm under US law — and its sale is highly regulated. The Ghost Gunner is programmed to take a partially-complete lower receiver, known as an "80 percent lower," and automatically mill it into a functioning part. From there, all you have to do is buy the other widely-available components online and assemble the rifle. As Wilson explains on the product's website, "on day one, Ghost Gunner can help you legally manufacture unserialized firearms in the comfort of your own home.""

#9 · (Edited)
There is no need for that at all and will only hurt our hobby. To small for a serious FFl manufacturing and way to much for a home builder.
I have to agree; at about $1,300 you could get one of the Little Machine Shops high torque mills and some tooling and be able to do a lot more diverse work. This strikes me as a political activist thumbing his nose at liberal politicians just to make a statement. It is going to bring a lot of heat on an already beleaguered and misunderstood hobby. I guess he was not happy at having his 3D printer pistol idea squashed and wants to make another big splash

#10 ·
That video screams for it to be outlawed. The anti's will have a hey day with it.

#11 ·
most of us have the same opinion... its too small for a production run...

but as stated: its also not intended to be a CNC for "everything".

it was created for exactly what Chiroone said: as a middle finger in the air to the commiefornia legislature which tried to pass anti home build regulations.

its not something that "could" happen.. its something they are already trying to do.

for the legal end lets be very clear on this: its NOT sold with programming. you have to go get that yourself.

is it open source & free to do ? YEP.

so can they "outlaw" it? NO. are they gonna outlaw people owning CNC mills? cause thats what this is. a mini CNC. simple as that.

it does exactly what any other CNC does..... which is whatever you program it to do.

they could very well have called this The Mystery Cube CNC... but they wanted to prove a point.

same point we always prove: you cant stop us from building guns & all the rules & laws you make are gonna get out paced by technology, creativity & ingenuity.

i need one of these like i need another ex wife.... but building & finding new ways to build is what im here for.... so this will be no different.

i'll build a few with it cause i can.. maybe even do a couple AR10's.. call its "purpose served" & then sell it to someone else to do the same.

word to the wise: if you sell one of these .... DO NOT SELL IT WITH THE PROGRAMMING!!

#13 ·
but they wanted to prove a point. same point we always prove: you cant stop us from building guns
Yes they can. "They" make laws. And don't prove a point with money as the weight with my fucking freedom on the scale. That's what this is, my "at the moment right" to build a firearm will be very soon up for vote because someone wants to prove a point or make some money. If I lose what I consider my right because someone chooses either of these paths I'm going to be pretty pissed off. I find it hard to believe any of us would think this is a good idea.
I'm also having a hard time expressing my anger with words. I, and all of us, are about to lose something we've taken for granted for as long as we've been a species. The right to make a weapon to defend ourselves and our community.
It's two things now: inevitable and sad.

#14 ·
If history has shown anything, it is that it is impossible to stop someone from making weapons and/or stop the ability for someone to defend themselves.

Just look at the Asian martial arts fighting "weapons". Back in feudal Japan, Korea and even China, the peasants were not allowed to have edged weapons or swords. But they were able to use farm implements to very effective use at defending themselves. The Tonfa, nuchucks, kama, bo staff, kuwa etc where nothing more then everyday farm implements. But in the hands of a trained or determined individual could be devastating to even a better armed adversary. Of course, that was quite some time ago.

In relatively recent history, just look what the IRA did back in Ireland, they made very effective firearm weapons from pipes, children's toys and by hand with no more than the most simplest of tools. And lets not forget the great skill of the Afghans, their weapon making skills are legendary and most are made with hand tools and shear determination.

So keeping weapons out of the hands of a truly determined person or persons? Impossible.

#16 ·
ashoe: your "at the moment right" has been trying to be taken away from you for the last 20 years... your late to the party if you just now figured this out. more importantly than that.. its not just "YOUR RIGHT"... its OURS & YES its constantly put to a vote at some level. that wont change. it also wont matter, because of the amount of homebuilt weapons that are out there.

do you really think they dont have a good idea how many have been built in this hobby? THEY DO.

^^^ this is exactly as Chiroone said.

what your seeing is a surge of new ways to do our hobby... out of the box ways..... many of them things we just didnt think of before... we adapt with the times and laws just like always.

people have been crying for years "oh they will make us stop, they'll pass a law".... YEP they sure will... & we will adapt & work within those confines just like we always have.

i posted this because just like the ROUTER thread, it interested me & is something new happening in the hobby & im all for trying something new.

what could they possibly do that they arent already doing?

try to control or eliminate build party's? ALREADY BEING DONE.

try to control or eliminate home builds completely? ALREADY BEING DONE.

try to require a license to do a home build? ALREADY BEING DONE.

try to require a serial number for home builds? ALREADY BEING DONE.

you think they are gonna try to eliminate CNC machines? Routers? Drill Presses? Rotozips? Welders? GOOD LUCK.

its just not possible to eliminate/stop this hobby..... they can curb it or drive it back underground & off the net..

but lets be honest here: how many of us really need the internet for this hobby now days?

we just use the internet for exactly what this new toy does: rub it in their face that we can always find ways to do this.

the real dilemma for those against gun making at home is that technology for this is developing, available & improving at a incredible rate.

#17 ·
Well said Duti !!!!

#19 ·
the only thing "hard to comprehend" here is on your end..........

YOUR LINE: I'm not sure how you could possibly think I'm worried that they will try to eliminate rotozips or welders or cnc machines.

see where the comprehension problem is? this is a CNC machine. simple as that. thats all it is. nothing more. a benchtop CNC machine.

its a friggin TOOL!! no different than any other tool we use... the person using it is responsible for the outcome at the finish.

so what an "end user" chooses to do with it? thats no different than any other CNC machine out there. they are just targeting a certain group for sales... you could call this a benchtop toothbrush maker if you wanted, it doesnt really matter.... if the end user chooses to do something different with it? who's problem is that?

so lets stick to things that are actually important.

things we already know about this machine:

its slower than a regular CNC & its slower than most of us on a manual mill == approx use time for it is listed as 2hrs.... many of us are faster than that with a jig and a mini mill.

its much smaller & is easily portable

its universal power acceptable (110/220)

works on a laptop & you get your own open source programming that your responsible for.

it costs more than a mini mill with CNC conversion

so what im really intending to find out on my end is: is it worth it? is it fun? is it accurate? does it do what they say it will?

or is it a total rip off that we should go out of our way to expose as a shame? we are gonna see & the results will be posted here at GUNCO & at WG.

i put up my own money to test these things...always have & its because i enjoy all kinds of different testing in this hobby.

when this fad passes, i'll dive into the next thing, lather, rinse, repeat as needed.

#21 ·
the only thing "hard to comprehend" here is on your end..........

YOUR LINE: I'm not sure how you could possibly think I'm worried that they will try to eliminate rotozips or welders or cnc machines.

see where the comprehension problem is? this is a CNC machine. simple as that. thats all it is. nothing more. a benchtop CNC machine.
Wait, so I don't have to turn in my Bridgeport? I have it loaded on a trailer to take down to the police right now, I thought we had to forfeit them as contraband.

#20 ·
So far is there being any new legislation introduced to stop any law abiding person from making their own firearm? Federal law permits individual rights to make their own firearm and only suggest you put a serial number on it. To me that would be the date it was done like 10814.everybody happy.

#22 ·
they are trying... but no success yet.

commiefornia wants you to get permission before you can do a homebuild.... but they havent had any luck getting that to pass...

remember they can make a tougher law than the feds.. and enforce them in their area..... just not a looser one...

so IF it happens it will happen there & in NY first.

#23 ·
I give up. I couldn't find a forehead slap smiley so I throw in the towel.
Even a face palm smiley would have worked.

#25 ·
perseverance my fellow gunbuilder.... NEVER EVER GIVE UP. giving up or throwin in the towel is just not an option. somewhere in the future i'll be finished with this hobby & move to the next one.. but the challenge & problem solving are just as important as the actual results. :)

i totally respect your view & opinion on this & your rights to have it. you could be 1000% correct in/with it. when that time comes & if you are? i'll come right here & say that you were right.

eatin crow doesnt bother me, as long as we have salt & whiskey to wash it down.

#26 ·
Here’s how you over come threats of legislation against home gunsmithing. Overwhelm the system, Spread the hobby far and wide.

I would like to see this table top CNC idea make some major steps forward.

At WG someone is thinking about offering code.

I would like to see vendors offering products to spread CNC throughout the home gunsmithing community.

Up-grades for current mills and Mill/Drills to another table top CNC machine should all be considered.

#27 ·
HMMMM IMO there not doing builders any favors .

About the only thing that will draw more negative attention to gun builders than there way of advertising is to take a home built fire arm an go shoot up a Sunday school full of children .

maybe they should have had some gang bangers in the back ground of there video? Or pile of drugs on the bench in the dark room basments were there machine is shown ?

I can care less about the tool there peddling its a glorified JIG . Its the here is how to get around the law F^%k you BS there spewing that stinks .

IMO the way there selling this does nothing to show builders in a good manner . Itmakes itlooklikeall we want it a easy way to get a gun built .

Did they make this to try an get the laws changed? Sure seems like it.

I want my builds to show my skill not that I was able to figure out a way to not have to go trough a FFL

I dont see bending jig makers sell there stuff like this.

This whole fuck you goverment im being legal an you cant do shit is not helping IMO.

I hope guys can figure out ways to make this $1000 tool do something else because the way things are going the 80% lowers will be outlawed not the machine .

IMO the company is shady.

#28 ·
BOB (1bg) knows why & what im going with this so no need to rehash it again.....

as to what else its COULD be capable of ? this is the biggest question. we dont know. IF all it will do is a pocket and FCG holes? then for most of us its not worth it...

but if it does as they say it should? which will soon include the ar10's & 1911's? then it may be a decent deal..

then accepting all the code that you regular 3 axis guys write? for small scale work? it would seem to be a handy addition to the bench top tools without all the investment of the larger ones.

we'll see..........

#29 ·
Yeah if it gets to the point where you can do multiple weapons platforms, then I would be interested in it. For someone who doesn't have a lot of space it would be nice.

#30 ·
The open source Gcoding is indicating AR15, AR10, 1911 so far.
Now as far as a "side" opportunity, A "Monocore" for a suppressor, even though it is round, is mainly machined in a 3 Axis machine. There are other possibilities including a chess set.

#33 ·
Hello Gentlemen,

I have trolled around and watched this thread for a few days now.....Here are my thoughts, for what they are worth...

1. I live in The Peoples Republik of Kalifornia. And yes, they are trying to outlaw the manufacture of "Ghost Guns" by private citizens for their own use and possession.

2. Leave out all of the bullshit, and you are left with this stark reality: Let the Communist Apparatchiks and the Politburo pass this law, and they will soon go after the tools that make it possible. It is just the way it works. Give an inch, and in ten years, they will have taken 10 miles. Trust me, or don't. Do your own research and prove me wrong in public.

3. Those who think that this little CNC gadget is bad news for our hobby are just patently wrong. You would trade a little anonymity and time away to stave off the reality that the ovens are being pre-heated in anticipation for use. Think I am being overly dramatic? Research Kalifornia laws and tell me again how hiding your head in a hole somehow protects your ass.

4. This kind of wrong thinking must be destroyed and discredited NOW! Do not let it spread, do not allow it to take hold. Otherwise, someday you will have to explain to your kids and grand-kids how you let it happen...

Do I sound harsh? Un-fair maybe? Irrational? Tough titties! I have lived in Kalifornia since 1972, and I can tell you this: What happened here can happen anywhere! Just wait, do nothing and wait.....I will be proven right, so long as good men do nothing.

Regards,

Reactions: sniper69
#34 ·
wow! while im not really into the political end of this.... i personally want to try it for the "new tool" factor

your response actually pleasantly surprised me.

ive gotten a good share of the usual crap from people over this & to see someone in commiefornia have this look on it is refreshing.

its understood that 75% of the sales of this so far HAVE been from there...... so obviously your not alone... your just the only one there who's had the balls to admit it or support it in public.

hats off to you. :thumbup1:

#35 ·
Could not have said it any better myself. When I left NY in 2005 everyone told me I was a "Gun whack-job" and it would never go any further. Now 10/22's are assault weapons. 8 rounds locks your ass up. There are Knocks at the door to ask about your guns. Holy Fuk, you can not even mail order a SLING SHOT! (True look it up)
Dont say it cant or will not happen. If they can take away the ability that scares them, they will.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.