Gunco Forums banner

CIA sporter?

5K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  railbuggy 
#1 ·
Is a Center International Arms FAL sporter one of those with the butthole stock?
What's the going rate for a used one?
What to look for, problem areas?

Local shop has one and I'm thinking about putting it on lay-away.

#2 ·
I picked up an older CAI FAL L1A1 at the goodman show in cincinnati april 5/6.$550 is what I paid,No buthole stock,19 1/2 inch barrel.and non matching numbers,no flash hider.Havent shoot it yet. My research found ther is no collector value but it should be a good shooter.I passid it up on the 5th and did a post on it.A member at Jeffs place told me I should have gotten it,said I could part it out and make a profit. If she shoots good my next buy will be a bi-pod and scope mount for it.

#3 ·
Thanks, I think I'll have to take a closer look at it next time I stop by the shop, I think he wants $550 but it's been there a while and he might come down a little just to get rid of it. :D

#4 ·
There are several versions of Century FAL sporters made using different sources of parts and on different types of receivers.

A couple of things to look for are whether the gun is a pre- or post-ban configuration (flash hider, bayonet lug, pistol grip). Whether it was built with Metric or Inch parts (Inch models can usually be distinguished by the fold down cocking handle and fold-down rear sight). I think the inch versions were built earlier on and the more recent ones are built with Metric parts. With respect to the receivers used, Century had their own branded receivers, and also built some on Imbel receivers imported from Brazil. The Imbel receiver versions may be more desirable. If the Century R1A1 receiver is used, you should look at the feed ramps leading to the back end of the barrel. Some of them are "unibrow" and have a single large ramp. This design, while consistent with the very early FALs, does not feed very well. A two-feed-ramp receiver is more desirable.

#10 ·
Whether it was built with Metric or Inch parts (Inch models can usually be distinguished by the fold down cocking handle and fold-down rear sight). I think the inch versions were built earlier on and the more recent ones are built with Metric parts.
All of the Century builds were done on metric receivers.
A two-feed-ramp receiver is more desirable.
You have raised some confusion with this. There is no Fal with two feed ramps. You are referring to the 'widows peak' feed ramp, which is the desirable one (Imbel made these with Century markings). The Century unibrow receiver is the one that doesn't work very well.

#5 ·
Hi Coils,

I have two of the Century Sporters, one is an L1A1, and the other is a metric built from South African parts. Both are great shooters.....

The only problem I had was due to a loose fitting gas plug that I didn't notice..No big deal, Century fixed it in about 10 days total.

I'd say do it....

Bellson:whisker:

#6 ·
OK look for pre- or post-ban stuff, folding charging handle and rear sight a +, try to determine what receiver and check the feed ramp.

Or just say "hell with it" and just get it like Bellson suggests. :D

Thanks for the help guys.

#8 ·
Figure your cheapest receiver now is $250 min (when you can find one of the CAI receivers) and a complete parts kit is $275. Not to mention compliance parts......

For $550 (maybe OTD since they've had it a while) you'd be crazy not to jump on it.

Hopefully you've bought a decent amount of 308 in the last 5 years to feed it. Otherwise, the current prices will break your bank!!

#9 ·
Good points about the receivers and parts kits oksooner.

Hopefully you've bought a decent amount of 308 in the last 5 years to feed it. Otherwise, the current prices will break your bank!!
I got about 1500 rnds right now, but almost all ammo (exept 22lr) is getting expensive.

#15 ·
I have a Century fal I picked up a while back. Shoots pretty good. No problems. How do you tell the origin of the parts kit? It was listed as an stg58 on a Century receiver. No flash hider or bayonet lug. Non folding charging handle. Smooth bolt carrier. Small, non-finger groove carry handle. Metric mags. I'll have to look at the selector engravings.

I originally bought a Romy RPK but when it arrived, it was a weld build and had a dent in barrel about 4 inches from the muzzle (that could be seen in the bore). The shop that listed it offered my the fal in exchange. Total price $400 -- ah, the good ole days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.