Gunco Forums banner

L1A1 build

12K views 38 replies 16 participants last post by  Riddbits 
#1 ·
Is anyone building an L1A1 from one of the kits available recently?

#3 ·
I've built several FALs and I have quite a few FAL parts that I'd like to use on my L1A1 build...just not sure what goes where if you know what I mean. It's my understanding that you can use the metric(FAL) barrel on the L1A1. You will need to use the metric gas system and possibly a breeching washer.

#5 ·
I'm building on a L1A1 kit now. i was unable to obtain a inch pattern receiver. so I got a DS Arms Type 1 metric reciever & and a metric barrel I plan to send the receiver & barrel to Enterprise Arms for their metric to inch conversion work, modify the gas port on the barrel for the inch gas block & sight and also have them install the barrel & headspace. and finish the rest myself. The receiver, piston, trigger group,muzzle brake,charging handle, Ds Arms new Walnut Furniture Set, magazine floor plate will be my compliance parts with a gunkote finish when i'm done

#6 ·
I'm building on a L1A1 kit now. i was unable to obtain a inch pattern receiver. so I got a DS Arms Type 1 metric reciever & and a metric barrel I plan to send the receiver & barrel to Enterprise Arms for their metric to inch conversion work, modify the gas port on the barrel for the inch gas block & sight and also have them install the barrel & headspace. and finish the rest myself. The receiver, piston, trigger group,muzzle brake,charging handle, Ds Arms new Walnut Furniture Set, magazine floor plate will be my compliance parts with a gunkote finish when i'm done

Why not just use the metric barrel and get a metric gas system? The inch/metric conversion thing sounds expensive and except for looks isn't really gaining you anything. You could also just put the inch barrel on your gun and use a breaching washer.

#7 ·
I like the looks of the inch gas system with the open ears, I also like the inch magazine better than the metric. i have both. it was no problem getting the gas sytem off the cut barrel and the gas port lines up with the metric barrel looks like a little bit of drill work for the port angle

#9 ·
Not quite. There is a groove in the bbl, a washer secured by a crosspin holds the washer in the groove, locking it from turning. Drive out the pin, remove the washer, and unscrew the FH. IIRC the inch pattern rifles have a RH thread, but I haven't messed with one in 15 years so I may be wrong on that.

#10 ·
Yes, the L1A1 is RH threads. You can use a metric barrel if you have the muzzle redone for the FH. Check, but I think the angled metric gasport will work fine with the L1A1 gasblock. Unless you need to drill it bigger.
I have several L1A1 builds going at the moment. I was lucky enough to hoard a few kits back when they were plentiful. I use nothing but Entreprise L1A1 receivers too.
At least on my Aussie builds.
For my Brits I'm going to have to get creative....

#12 ·
I did an L1A1 clone using a metric barrel on metric DCI receiver and replaced the gas block with an inch type. Re threaded the muzzle to RH for the flash hider and cut the groove to secure it just like the originals. The resulting firearm looks no different than if I had used an inch spec barrel unless you strip it down and look very close. This is an older picture from when flash hiders were considered "dangerous!" so it's a fake one installed. It's since been replaced with a proper item. Works like a champ. Many inch and metric parts are interchangeable and some of those that are not specifically can still be modified slightly to work.

#15 ·
I wimped out just a little. my NOS L1A1 barrel tightened to about
2:30 with the breeching washer installed.between getting that right & the right locking shoulder. I just sent it out to the Entreprise Gunsmiths to install & headspace for me plus I added their metric to inch receiver modification to the order.I can do the rest myself. pictures once I get everything back

#16 ·
with all these U.S. parts I installed I should be well within compliance(and broke):
1. gas piston ,2.trigger group,3. new wood handguard,pistol grip & stock, 4.DS Arms Modified to Inch Metric Receiver, 5. U.S. Phoenix Flash Hider, 6. U.S. Charging Handle, 7. 4 rebuilt magazines with U.S. floorplates, 8. and a new U.S. made set of Springs.

#17 ·
Iron wood makes stocks

If you want some really nice furniture check out Ironwood. I emailed them on their prices and FAL ,L1A1..... are at or around $300.00 for a set. I know that's kinda high, but they use Black Walnut, Birch, Claro Walnut and if I can remember Curly Maple. Take a look at their photo gallery and you'll see what I mean.
Ironwood Designs

I could picture one of my FAL,s with this furniture set and Duracoat matching paint job. (Coyote brown or Tiger Stripe brown)

#19 ·
$115 for the barrel assembly & headspacing add $100 if you want to do the metric to inch reciever conversion. I went that route because DS Arms & Entreprise won't be doing inch receivers for awhile. I found all the Compliance parts off the internet. actually I could have bought a completed FAL cheaper, but that's no fun and when I get done I think it will look much better than those. Dumb as I was. I paid almost $300 for that barrel by itself.

#21 ·
I have been looking for parts out there to build up my L1A1's and thought I would share my findings with everyone that wants to put theirs together. You need 7 parts to do a build. With either a DSA or Enterprise Inch pattern receiver, you only need 6 more.....

Arizona Response Systems has 80% completed British style L1A1 5 slot flash hiders. They need the slots completed, the bayonet lug grooves cut, and the retaining ring groove cut and drilled. They run $50 for one and $90 for two plus $6.50 shipping. Contact him at: gunplumber@arizonaresponsesystems.com

Ergo Grips has L1A1 grips on closeout for those that have the old Brit plastic stocks.https://www.ergogrips.net/item-detail.cfm?ID=4210&storeid=1&image=l1a1.gif&CFID=24772596&CFTOKEN=28068625 Make sure that you fit them with a fine file and don't pound on them because they will chip. Once they are fit, they look great.

Gunthings.com have US made Trigger, Hammer, and Sear sets for the Inch pattern rifles for $85.00. They also have US made gas pistons for $27.00.http://www.gunthings.com/

Ironwood Creations offers new made wood for L1A1's: http://ironwooddesigns.com/2aprod/1zFALprod.html A little pricey, but look awesome.

Inter Ord has barrels by Green Mountain, but they are not listed on their web site. They have them for $189.99. These are the barrels that were offered with the kits early on and will need the gas block mounted and gas hole drilled.

I know that there are floor plates and followers out there, but I don't want to have to modify all of my mags and then worry about an occasional unmodified one getting mixed in.

#24 ·
Yeah, I need one of those. Any idea who has them available?

On a side note, Mr. Graham at ARS has lowered his price for the flash hiders to $35. He only has 30 left and as disgruntled as I am about him lowering the price one week after I sent funds for five, he is the only one that has them and he is running out. Act fast.

#27 ·
Found one sitting on a table at the gun show in Reno, NV this last weekend. Ended up with 7 barrels all with gas blocks: 1 L1A1, 1 Metric, 3 carbines, 2 Izzy FALO's (chrome lined), 2 G series flash hiders, 1 early wood carry handle and 2 new in wrap Belgain HB carry handles all for under $1K. One heck of a haul off of one table.

#30 ·
I think that the carbine barrels are cut down Stg58 barrels that have been refinished, but they have strong rifleing and look awesome. Both of the Izzy barrels are dated '67 and the L1A1 is Australian. I just need to get all of the parts such as sights, gas regulators and flash hiders.

I know it is bragging, but with that deal, I just had to tell everyone! I think I used up all of my find a deal luck on that one though.

#31 ·
I brag too

I think that the carbine barrels are cut down Stg58 barrels that have been refinished, but they have strong rifleing and look awesome. Both of the Izzy barrels are dated '67 and the L1A1 is Australian. I just need to get all of the parts such as sights, gas regulators and flash hiders.

I know it is bragging, but with that deal, I just had to tell everyone! I think I used up all of my find a deal luck on that one though.
It's nice to hear about your "gold strike". When I run accross really good deals, I'm ether broke or my cash is ear marked for something else. I was set up at a gun show and went looking for some AR replacement parts. I saw a Ruger 10-22 for $90.(at a glance) I got busy and thought O SH!T, I went back to get the 10-22 and it was sold.:death:

#32 ·
I think we have all been there.

On a more related note, I was working on my L1A1's last night trying to fit the US flash hiders to the barrels. I noticed in the schematic that there is a small washer (spacer) pictured that goes into the flash hider. Is this a crush washer? I have not yet taken the original flash hider off of the one barrel I have that came with it installed, nor have I been able to remove the barrel stubbs from the F1 flash hiders yet. Is this a necessary part for the installation of the flash hider, or can I just screw it on and mill the retaining groove for the washer and pin and hope that holds it? Anyone worked with L1A1 flash hiders before?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.