Gunco Forums banner

New FAL owner

4K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Bolt2Bounce2 
#1 ·
Hello everyone.

Ive been reading about FAL's on the web for a long time and finally had a chance to score one at a good price.
It hates remington UMC ammo out of 20 rounds I had 5 failure to eject but i fired 40 rounds of south african 7.62x51 without a hiccup.
The reciever says L1A1 sporter cal 308. receiver made by Imbel - Brazil. Imorted by CAI.
The front sight block appears to be metric. short closed ears protecting the front sight. The lower is inch. has a slot for a carry handle but one inst present. i got it used so it has a aftermarket top cover with rail along the top.
Any opinion or insights ont he this particular style?

#2 ·
I've owned an Imbel FAL and they are accurate reliable soft shooting rifles if adjusted properly. If it wasn't ejecting the remington ammo it is probably because it isn't as hot as the surplus ammo. To adjust the gas system to get it to operate with what ever ammo you're using, open it up all the way and shoot a round/close the valve 1 click until you start getting failures to eject. Then open it back up 2 clicks and it should work just fine with that ammo. Congrats on the Fal and welcome to GUNCO!!!

#3 ·
Moleman, he doesn't want to close it until he gets failures to eject, he wants to close it until the failures to eject stop! Opened all the way the bleed port is fully exposed and the most amount of gas escapes. As it is closed down the hole gets covered more and more and less gas escapes, leaving more to act against the piston.

If your rifle has the bolt hold open on last shot (some do, some don't) load rounds in the mag singly and when the bolt starts staying open it is travelling far enough for reliable function. Another click or two is added for isurance as the rifle gets dirty, weaker round, etc.

#5 ·
Moleman, he doesn't want to close it until he gets failures to eject, he wants to close it until the failures to eject stop! Opened all the way the bleed port is fully exposed and the most amount of gas escapes. As it is closed down the hole gets covered more and more and less gas escapes, leaving more to act against the piston.

If your rifle has the bolt hold open on last shot (some do, some don't) load rounds in the mag singly and when the bolt starts staying open it is travelling far enough for reliable function. Another click or two is added for isurance as the rifle gets dirty, weaker round, etc.

Kernelkrink is right! I was thinking one thing and typing another. Glad some one cought it.

#9 · (Edited)
Yeah - love my Imbel FAL. Its a sweet shootin SOB - love it - too bad it shoots .308 - that kindof ruins your mellow. I'd love to just hose it - but at the current price of ammo - not feasible. But hey if ammo ever gets reasonable again I'll be able to put down the AR, and Ak and pick up the ol FAL and M1A. Sweet dreams

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.