Thread: L2A1 - Carry Handle

Feedback Score

Want to Buy/Wanted L2A1 - Carry Handle

I am looking for the correct L2A1 Heavy Barrel - Carry Handle. This has the "dog leg" bend and the brown fiberglass handle. It is unique to the Commonwealth countries. The Australian, Canadian and British versions are the same. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by huskytim2008; 03-28-2009 at 11:23 AM.

Feedback Score

I gave away one a couple of years ago. The British never used them but Canada made them and Australia copied the Canadian version. The one I gave away was made in Australia for Singapore. It looked a little darker in color than most of the ones I've seen. Usually more tan than brown but this one was closer to brown. The Aussie version is the L2A1, the Canadian version is the C2A1. Canadian also made earlier C2 models. The main difference is the firing pin.

Feedback Score

Aussie ones where green as well as brown

i've a mate with some i'll ask him what he wants for one and let you know

cheers

jack

Feedback Score

Ah yes the green carry handles. I think mine was made in 1962 or 1964. I'll have to check the year again.

Feedback Score

Jack,

Did you have any luck in finding a handle in NZ? They are a difficult part. Only about 4% of the total production. -- Tim

Feedback Score

OK my mate stated that 2-3 months ago someone from the US walked into his store, took a look askd some questions and started talkin on his phone.

he came back that afternoon and bought every FN/FAL bit and bob in the place so sorry for that

however on ebay.com.au theres 2 handles there, different sellers and not cheap either but i get the feeling thats happening a lot

trademe.co.nz is a good place to put a want add for L2A1 bits, i got 2 new gas pistons for a friend in the US there.

sorry for the furphy ( false hope) but i dont do much in the way of SLR's here now.. so did not realise how hard parts had got to get .. bloody anti gun nazi's

i have a mate who has a couple who lives in the islands and he's saying he is buying parts through Tonga
    they are just going to M4's and have 10,000 SLR L2A1's etc if i was cashed up i'd call and see about buying a couple hundred.

cheers

jack

to show the differences

Feedback Score

Jack,

Thanks for the information. I emailed Ian Skennerton on the Gold Coast, he said the same that all were pretty much gone. I am still looking. I might just fabricate one from drawings in his book and cast a fiberglass handle as a last ditch effort. ( I make knives as a hobby.) Thanks for the photos, the L2A1 is certainly an interesting variation! -- Tim

Feedback Score

that i can help with

be back in a day or two with the plans for the handle

the L2a1 is forward set 2" more than the L1A1 and has a bend in the handle arm to allow this ( the extra heavy gas system and the bipod legs add weight up front)

cheers

jack

Feedback Score

I'm still looking for a L2A1 handle. I am thinking seriously about making one. I would like a C1 Canadian carry handle that I could make a mold for a fiberglass handle. If you have one that you can part with I am certainly in the market. Good old Yankee engineering will prevail!

huskytim

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.