Gunco Forums banner

opinion on buying G3 type rifle

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  kernelkrink 
#1 ·
hey Guy's, sorry if this is the wrong place for this question. I think I want to add a G3 .308 type rifle to my possesion, somewhere in the future, and wanted to know if there are one's I absolutally want to stay away from? I, like most, can't pay for the cream of the crop, so one on an American made reciever will be what I get.I have fired a couple in my past, but do not know what they were, but they where O.K.and any other tips on what to look for? Thanks, Tom.

#2 ·
The better American-made one is the PTR-91. Most I have seen have a heavy barrel and are very heavy. They are suppose to be available with a standard weight barrel and those are plenty heavy enough. The heavy barrel model looks almost like the standard weight barrel. It's fatter under the handguard a bit thicker at the front sight but is hard to notice the extra thickness.

#3 ·
Once you figure out what gun your gonna buy, start figuring out where your gonna get ammunition for it if you don't already have a large stock of it. Even Wolf is becoming harder and harder to find for .308. Just a thought. I wish I had thought about ammunition availability before I bought my last .308 rifle.

#4 ·
...and if you reload, the G3 is hard on brass due to the fluted chamber design.

I used a scoped G3 with tuned trigger group in the German Army. Plus: Accurate, ultra reliable, can use cheap plastic training ammo with special bolt. Minus: heavy, stiffer recoil than gas operated guns, case ejection cannot be turned off.

If you need more than a "Poodle Gun" I would look at an AR-10 or the newer Browning BAR hunting rifles (you can get those in .30-06 which is currently cheaper than .308)

#5 ·
The CETME would be a good choice !! It is not real expensive, And it shoots good !!!! Just be prepared to buy a few replacement parts & springs ( buy HK parts & springs, they are better ) !! Make sure you do research on the company that makes it ( century arms, usually ) and the possible probs. !!

#6 ·
Just stay away from the ones made with an aluminum receiver, these have a cast in weaver/picatinny scope rail on top and are junk. Also be aware some US made ones also utilized a US or Korean made bbl that did not have the chamber flutes cut to spec. These refuse to eject and are difficult/expensive to get working. Beyond that, just look for major flaws, check bolt gap, and if possible test fire it before buying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.