Gunco Forums banner

fal in 223

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  sgt ron 
#1 ·
was surfing and saw a 223 caliber fal type rifle taking AR mags. made by Red Rock Arms which used to be Bobcat Arms i do believe, anyone seen one or know anything about em ? seems msrp is 1400 bucks

#2 · (Edited)
Yes I remember seeing those. I think they had a synthetic lower, but don't quote me on that. A few years back when FAL kits were more plentiful, you could find caliber conversions done up all the time. I think FN actually made a .223 prototype, then they threw it out and made the FNC which obviously did REAL GOOD.

They looked promising for the money. I haven't seen too many range reports. If I were to get one, I'd invest in a folding stock lower assembly. Another $400 but worth it IMO.

Here's one - looks like they may have been MADE by Bobcat weapons for Red Rock? Not sure.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/data/default/images/catalog/large/atr1.jpg

The ATR-1 is a new semi-automatic .223 cal./5.56 mm sporting rifle. It is based on the FN FAL platform, one of the most reliable and widely used military rifles in the history of the world. The ATR is blowback operated, with a stationary barrel and gas piston operated breech block unlocking system. It fires in semi-automatic mode, only, from a closed and locked bolt position. The barrel is chambered for a .223 cal./5.56mm cartridge which is fed from a AR-15 magazine. The superior quality and unsurpassed reliability of this firearm make it exciting to shoot and a must for any collection.

Standard Model Features:

•Based on the FN FAL platform
•Aircraft grade, 7075 T6 aluminum receiver is machined from a solid bar to extacting specifications in the U.S..
•Design specifically to accept AR-15 (M-16) magazines.
•Last round hold open and paddle magazine release.
•Original FN FAL gas operated piston breech block unlocking sysytem, proven, reliable field history in Military and Law enforcement applications.
•Barrel: smooth chamber .223 cal. / 5.56 mm, carbon steel, 16.25 inch, 1/2-28 TPI threaded barrel, button rifled with a 1:9 twist rate.
•Buttstock, forend and grip molded from glass filled nylon for added impact strength and thermal stability.
•The lower, including the fire control mechanism and all components thereof, are original FN FAL components.
•Semi-Automatic ONLY. The receiver is NOT slotted to accept an auto sear.
•All primary exterior metal surfaces, except the magazine, are painted with Duracoat brand coatings. Minor parts are finished in black oxide.
•US parts count: 9
•3-Mag (follower, floor plate, body); 1 - Receiver; 1 - Barrel; 1 - Bolt; 3 - Grip, Forend, Butt Stock

#5 ·
AH OK thanks Nalioth! I know Bobcat weapons at one time had only MP5 stuff, and they were essentially resellers for the company Todd in AZ had. Wow I forget the name now... I do recall that Bobcat Weapons made an interesting leap by offering lifetime warranties. I suppose that's part of why they had to go under and reopen.

#6 · (Edited)
I saw one on GB a while ago and intitally thought about buying it. It says it has an aluminum receiver where as the fal has a steel one. Some one made a aluminum fal receiver for a short period of time and there are some nasty pictures of failures of those receivers floating around out there on the internet. I figured if they kept the same tilting bolt/locking shoulder set up, it too would eventually fail but would take longer shooting the 5.56. Thats at least why I didn't get one. Here's the link of the 308 aluminum receiver failures. Yahoo! Image Detail for www.dsarms.com/images/Mvc-016s.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.