Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: G1 build info needed

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default G1 build info needed

Hello, I bought what is supposed to be a G1 kit a while ago. To be honest, I don't know squat about the FAL other than they look cool and I wanted to have one and I wanted it to be in a kit.

Right off I know it needs some mags, a pouch, and a bayonet, and most importantly a good receiver. (the one pictured was not included)

Im not sure what bayo is used on this. Any input?

I assume that any metric mag will work fine. I've seen some Isreali for sale. Any good?

It needs something called a locking lug. Any input?

Which is better to use for a G1 build, an Imbel or a DSA type 1 or 2?

How much assembly can most builders handle without extensive FAL experience and special tools?

I don't exactly know why I liked this one so much, but I did, and I ended up dropping 9 bills on it. How bad did I do?

I won't be touching this for a few months, but I wanted to come up with a game plan anyway, and maybe an approximate cost.

Thanks in advance!

G1.jpg

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

First off that is a beautiful G-1 kit! Looks like it was re-parked and the wood is in great condition. Yes I believe most metric mags will work though someone else might have had other experiences.

The "locking lug" is most likely the "locking shoulder" seen here Locking Shoulder, .256 - .267-D S Arms

this is the way Fals are head spaced.

As far as which reciever; I perfer DSA receivers as they just look nicer. But at the end of the day both receivers work it is just price/looks.

If you dropped 9 bills and that included the receiver then that's not bad, if it was without that receiver in the picture then ya it wasn't such a good buy, but you have rare and a beautiful kit!
    "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

The guy was hurtin for cash so if pumping in a couple extra bills helped him out of a jam, and I get to quit looking at FAL kits for sale while the supply keeps drying up, then I'm good.

I wont be able to look at it myself for some time, but I wonder what the chances are that it is original finish? Heres a couple more pics.
    G1.2.jpg
    G1.3.jpg
    G1.4.jpg

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Metric or inch mags is a function of which receiver you purchase. The magwell in the receiver ether has the larger "inch" forward lug recess machined into it, or the smaller metric punched tab recess. The "proper" receiver for the G1 would be the Type I which is only available from DSA these days. The Imbel is a type 3, which was the last version and lacks the lightening cuts as a cost saving measure. It will work fine, but is not "correct" for your kit.

Assembly basically consists of screwing the bbl into the new upper receiver and selecting/installing a locking shoulder. The "receiver wrench" can be as simple as wood blocks cut to closely fit the receiver contour or you can buy one. Bbl wrench is just a large adjustable or proper sized open end wrench. The trouble is "clocking" the bbl, or making sure it is perfectly timed when tight. If it screws into the 10:30-11:00 O-Clock position by hand it will usually be all right. If not, you have to use a shim washer or take metal off the shoulder to get it right. Low buck methods are available.

The locking shoulder selection begins with a barelled action. Strip the bolt and insert a GO guage in the chamber. A series of different sized guage rods or a stepped rod is inserted in the locking shoulder hole and then the bolt is inserted and lockup is attempted. Once the proper sized rod or step that allows firm pressure to achieve lockup, some simple math is done and the correct shoulder chosen. It is then pressed in. The rest of assembly is just advanced field stripping 101. Drillbit shanks and feeler guages can be substituted for actual guage rods if you go low buck.

That rifle does look refinished, most of the G1s wound up in Turkey after Germany went to the G3 and the Turks were almost as bad as the Yugoslavians when it came to rifle maintenance. IIRC, the factory finish was paint over park, or just park.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

That's by far the nicest G1 kit I've ever seen, and I agree that it looks to be original finish. I don't think that you got hurt on the deal. That kit is going to make a beautiful rifle.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thanks for all the info and kind words. Every bit helped.

in the blueridge mtns nutznboltz's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Default that sucker is untouched! enjoy it and shoot it as much

as your wallet allows.

in the blueridge mtns nutznboltz's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Default and by the way i have the tools you need to

headspace if you need.let me know!!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nutznboltz View Post
    headspace if you need.let me know!!
    When I get back home I just may need one.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Your G1 kit is the nicest kit I've every seen. I've built several G1,and just thank that they are the best of all FL Fal. As for a Bayonet, well you might be better off without one, becouse It's real sloppy made. I see a receiver in your picture. If I'ts a factory GI, your kit is worth lots off money. If not, Enterprize makes a GI receiver.They are first class.
    Take your time, and build a great FN FAL G1 Rifle
    Your in my Mind, and in my Sights

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.