Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need advice on Fal headspacing issue

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Let us know how it all works out for you.

Nice looking rifle by the way. I built one real similar to it earlier this year on a DCI receiver also, except I went for the 50.63 look with a folding charging handle, 18 inch barrel, and holland style rear sight.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

check your chamber for any fowling sand dirt etc...and clean it really good then check the locking surface of the bolt (rear of your bolt) I had one that had a large burr (damaged) it was giving a false too tight HS reading.. never even thought about looking at the locking surface carefully before that happened.. B2B

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Waiting to see how this one turns out

Did I do that?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I just headspaced mine this weekend on a DSA reciever with an Imbel barrel and it closed on a GO gage @ .252 with a Forster gage. This is with the chamber cleaned, gage cleaned, and bolt cleaned. I did have to sand the barrel shoulder to get the barrel to hand time to 1030. I will be ordering a .251 LS from GPG to have it work.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by brokexj View Post
    I just headspaced mine this weekend on a DSA reciever with an Imbel barrel and it closed on a GO gage @ .252 with a Forster gage. This is with the chamber cleaned, gage cleaned, and bolt cleaned. I did have to sand the barrel shoulder to get the barrel to hand time to 1030. I will be ordering a .251 LS from GPG to have it work.
    Before you go spending money, Does it close on the no-go gauge? Its supposed to close on a go gauge, but not a no-go or field. Or are you talking about a locking shoulder guage?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

It did not close on a NO-GO on the .252 pin gage. Using the 1.632 military chamber specs and a Forster gage, that's how I came up with a .251 LS.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Update:

I tried some gauges all the way down to .247 and non closed on the go guage. So I did what a couple people suggested, I used a live round which closed easily on the .250

Just need to get a locking shoulder install it and take her to the range. Range time and report will be a few weeks.

Stay tuned.
    "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Gunco,

You may want to hold up from putting a locking shoulder in right now and read this thread from the FALfiles on some of the latest DCI receivers and issues that where had with them before anything goes wrong with firing the rifle. I just now put two and two together and remembered this thread from earlier this year over there.

The FAL Files Forums - Head spaceing a new DCI receiver

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.