Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Barrel threads...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Barrel threads...

Hey I got a new fal, and the flash hider was loose, so I unscrewed it and the threads are goobered up... I would like to buy or use a tap to chase them and maby make a few more passes. Im not worried about getting them crooked because there is already threads there.

Also what other brakes/ flash hiders are out there for the fal besides the stock ones... I have the 3 hole brake, I want a flash suppressor...

Feedback Score

Hi Stud,
    Most FN Metric barrel muzzle threads are left hand and metric. The exact size I don't have in front of me but easily found out. The problem is the die is usually alot of money because it is not common in the US. However there is a flash hider made by DS Arms that has a right hand thread and is a common size so you can get the die at ACE or Home depot! Just a thought, of course you will have to trim the old thread off and take it to the maj. dia. of the new right hand thread. Not that hard really.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Actually, the standard "metric" FAL muzzle thread is 9/16"x24 left hand. However, it is "close enough" to the standard AK47 14mmX1mmLH muzzle thread that you can often interchange muzzle devices between them. Here are some FAL specific flash suppressors:

Flashiders & Related Parts-D S Arms

Brownells sells the muzzle thread die for about $70, IIRC. Dunno about a tap.

Feedback Score

Hi,
    I stand corrected,thanks for the info.....but the LH die is expensive and the RH die is readily available for a lot less!!!

Also there is a dude that is shortening and rethreading for a small fee on the FalFiles if this is a onetime thing!

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

You might try looking for that tap size at an online store that specializes in tooling. for instance, I lucked out and bought a few 1/2"x28tpi taps for $12 off of an online store that advertized on ebay. I think everywhere I looked wanted at least $35 for an super dooper rare "ar15" flash hider tap. I found them other places for around $10-$15 at tool supply houses. Apparently 1/2"x28 is also a spark plug tap size for something.

Feedback Score

The 1/2 - 28 thread is an NEF thread (National Extra Fine thread). It isn't a specialty thread.

The moleman has got it right. Shop the tool suppliers for your taps and dies. Some of the rare metric threads may only be available in Europe. Polish, Czech, and Yugo tooling is quality stuff. The German tooling is first class but very spendy.

If you have a lathe with manual change gears for threading you can likely duplicate most all threads. A few extra "approximate gears" are most helpful.

VD

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Ok, Here is an update...

I took my new FAL shooting yesterday, I 1st adjusted the gas system... This was my 1st dissapointment! It finnaly held the bolt back on setting 3 so I turned it down 2 clicks to be safe to mark 2 and now it runs great! I shot 40rds with no failures, but I wish I could run it at 5 so I had more adjustment for other ammo. I think I will try and drill the hole out a little.

Here is where it get's interesting... The 1st shot the wife was impressed at the blast!! I went on the explain how the brake worked when I looked down the barrel only to find a missing compensator!!!! I set the rifle down and after a manhunt I found it, no damage to it, but i did notice that the threads were shot on the inside of the comp, as well as the barrel.

It gets even better! This whole time Im thinking, without the comp attached anymore the barrel is starting to look very very short... when I got home I mesured it and its shorter then I would like!!!

I will add a 2" comp then tack weld it into place.

Here are the old threads

As you can see in the last pic, There is more room to thread and tack. 1.5" to be exact and I think I will try and do it 14x1mm LH because the dies are cheap, and they sell the alignment tool for $13.

here is my question, What is a Good AK47 comp that would look nice on a fal? oh yeah, it also must be 1.5-2" long...
    Last edited by iansstud; 10-19-2009 at 06:16 PM.

Feedback Score

Hello iansstud,
    OOPS SH*T !! I strongly suggest that you permanently attach a muzzle device of over an inch length to CYA on the short barrel !!!! A barrel is measured with a rod down the bore , bolt closed to the face of the bolt just in case you measured it wrong.

Your barrel threads look as if they were chewed on by mice and silver soldered at one time !! hmmm...

An AR-type birdcage for an AK (left-handed metric threaded) would be my choice, but do have it slver soldered (brazed) on or TIG welded (via 4 tac welds I believe). I like the compact looks of the birdcage type.

Double check those barrel threads as they may be "non-standard".

VD

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Wow! those threads do look like sin. Almost like they threaded it, and for what ever reason chucked it back up in the lathe and did a poor job of getting the bit centered to chase the threads. Was the brake that was on there high temp soldered on to bring it up to 16"? I also wouldn't change the gas port size as increasing the gas port size is usually bad for accuracy.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Here is a pic befor I lost the comp...

I plan on welding a permanent comp/flashhidder on very soon, and no shooting it until then, In fact the upper is off the lower until I get it on!!

The threads are LH something...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.