Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fal not feeding right

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by [486] View Post
    When you take it out, look out. There was a pic going around of a guy with a greasy spring print on his forehead from that exact process.

[486] brings up a good point. I never bought the tool, but I made my own version of it after removing the retaining nut with just a screw driver and having it fly across the room. I welded a flatplate to the end of a bolt to act as a screwdriver blade, cut a notch into the center of the plate for a section of sectioned cleaning rod to go through the retainer bolt and stick up a little bit. The correct tool has the rod connected to the tool to make removal safer but its getting that long spring back inside the recoil tube thats the tricky part. The rod holds the spring straight and makes it a snap to get together. Wear some safety goggles and don't take one out around some new wine glasses your wife just bought like I did.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I will be sure to be very careful!!!! I once shot the recoil buffer detent into my nose on an AR15... it did not feel good!!!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Once my M1 started to do the same. It turned out the gas tube? and maybe piston was worn. Corrected w/ oversize piston head.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

OK...

The Buffer tube is now cleaned!!! It was a little greasy, but I dont think this was the issue...

I cycle it with NO magazine, and it binds alittle about half way through cycle each way. So I removed the dust cover and cycled it. same issue, then I put the cover back on, and cycled it with the action broke open (no recoil spring) the binding went away, It was very smooth. So the Issue I belive is the Recoil Spring/Buffer tube area. It is all cleaned up and still does this!!! It even binds if I shove a rod down the tube!!!!

Im not sure what to do next, Maybe replace the tube, springs and, recoil 'piston'???

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

ALSO!!!

I found a Great way to re-install the buffertube spring!!!

I use a walmart cleaning kit rod the cheapo ones with the plastic handle. I put the nut on the cleaning rod, then insert the rod down the spring, and push untill it contacts the tube. I can spin the whole thing untill it catches, or use my fingers to start it.

Works great!!! And I can take it off 90% with the screw driver and then incert the cleaning rod and do the rest by hand. No springs to fly out, no mess, no trouble at all!!! I think the kit was $8.99 at walmart and comes with all the cleaning stuff too!! Ive had it for 3 years now and keep comeing up with uses!!!

Feedback Score

Might even have dents in the buffer tube. But, definitely a problem in the tube from this bit of info.
    It even binds if I shove a rod down the tube!!!!
    Pull it apart and look at it, the tube can be damn near impossible to replace on some rifles, so you might wanna get a new lower if the tube doesn't come out, or convert to paratrooper recoil/stock if you've been thinking of doing it, now would be a great time.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by [486] View Post
    Might even have dents in the buffer tube. But, definitely a problem in the tube from this bit of info.

Pull it apart and look at it, the tube can be damn near impossible to replace on some rifles, so you might wanna get a new lower if the tube doesn't come out, or convert to paratrooper recoil/stock if you've been thinking of doing it, now would be a great time.
    OK, so I Re-pulled the springs, nut, stock and Tube, It screwed right out! I checked it by looking down it and spinning it on the table, looks great, no dings dents or anything!!! I Re cleaned it, put 2 drops of Light oil on the spring, I reinstalled the tube, stock, spring and nut.

And it keeps binding!!!! it will still cycle a little easyer if I do it fast, but it will almost hang up at 2 places when I do it slow. It hangs up so bad it almost would stop on its own if I let go. I re checked the bolt carrier with the action open (no spring) and it glides great, no hang ups! So it must be the spring! The spring feels like the pressure changes at about 3-4 points along the entire travel of the springs.

Feedback Score

It the hammer binding against the bottom of the bolt?

Feedback Score

A kinky spring ??? A wrong spring ???

Also look for pliers or visegrip or vise marks on the spring tube from a previous removal.

VD

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Not binding against the hammer, No dings dents or marks on the tube or rat tail. I will post pics today. I'm stumped! Without the spring and plunger everything runs great!!! No binding! But with the recoil system installed, and no bolt carrier, the plunger binds even when I use a cleaning rod to compress it!

Just to make sure, there are 2 springs in the tube, right?

I think I will pollish the plunger and the recoil system hole in the receiver.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.