Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fal not feeding right

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

See if the spring follower plunger has any unusual wear marks on it as well as the end of the spring that rests on it. The spring may be trying to push by the side of the plunger if its undersided enough. I've seen that happen with shotgun mag tube plugs. If you take just the plunger and drop it down the tube does it make it all the way to the bottem, or does it get hung up? I'd also try seeing how the binding is with the hammer removed just to rule that out.

Its been a number of years since I've taken the recoil spring out. If I remember correctly there is an right and a left hand spring one inside the other for the recoil spring. the different directions they are wound keeps them from binding up.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Ok, I took it apart again! I dropped the plunger down the tube, no issues there, I polished the plunger and it is now smooth!

I cycled the bolt carrier with the tube removed, and it does rub a little on the hammer about 30% of my issues, but I belive this is normal... The other 70% is still the spring. and it does it when I push the plunger down (springs and everything installed) with a rod to simulate the rattail cycling...

Here are some pics:

Walmart FAL recoil spring tool:

I unscrew the nut until its even with the stock then unscrew by hand:

Complete control:

Befor:

After:

I reinstalled everything, and I think the polishing helped! so I polished the hammer, and bolt surfaces. It feels ALOT better now!!!

Feedback Score

The next thing I was gonna ask was if the springs were wound in opposing directions, because if they were the same twist then they'd stack up and bind, but your picture eliminated that possibility pretty well.

Maybe you're feeling the spring aligning with whatever rod centers it. That would explain a bit of variation, like when you pull the bolt back on a stamped AK, look at the spring, it wiggles around on the retainer thing, and you can feel it on the charging handle.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

After cleaning it now about 6 times and putting it back together, I thought I would do a Feed test, and "ride" the bolt closed...

Here is what I think the issue is...

1st 20 rounds of ammo ran fine, they must have been barely feeding, this got things a tiny bit dirty enough to cause a little more resistance. When I used the OTM tips again, because they were barely feeding before, this time they were not.

The real issue here is the feed ramps, they are polished however they ARE a 2 stage ramp, and the Damn OTM tips of the eagle ammo I was using was catching the little hollow point on the 2nd ramp or chamber area. This caused the spring to have to push more to get it to feed causing the round to drop deeper in to the magazine causing the bolt to ride over the round and JAM.

Here is what I mean:

The only fix I can see is to file using my dremel the 2nd part of the ramp so it alligns with the 1st part of the ramp like so...

Feedback Score

Removing material there might cause case web failures. You could increase the angle like they did with M4 feed ramps in ARs, but I would first see if extra power mag springs would solve it.

Removing a tiny bit of material from anywhere the case touches the lower rail on feeding might help too, like right by the case shoulder in the pics. Then the rounds will pop up easier, not hit the feed ramp [more like a bevel] on the barrel as much. I think your feedramps might be a bit low, as in my limited experience [I've only messed with imbel receivers] the bullet tip will be 1/16" above the bottom edge of the chamber on feeding.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by [486] View Post
    Removing material there might cause case web failures. You could increase the angle like they did with M4 feed ramps in ARs, but I would first see if extra power mag springs would solve it.

Removing a tiny bit of material from anywhere the case touches the lower rail on feeding might help too, like right by the case shoulder in the pics. Then the rounds will pop up easier, not hit the feed ramp [more like a bevel] on the barrel as much. I think your feedramps might be a bit low, as in my limited experience [I've only messed with imbel receivers] the bullet tip will be 1/16" above the bottom edge of the chamber on feeding.
    As I recall I had to do this on mine^. If you have to you can break the corner on the feed ramp on the chamber right in front of the bullet nose in your pic. Just dont get into the chamber itself. Just round the lower edge. These and other military guns sometimes have trouble feeding hollow points. This will often cure it.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Like this???

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    In a moment of stupidity I sold my imbel fal a few years back. Double check that your gas system is ok. gas port unblocked, piston head not chewed up, piston tube secure, gas adjustment ring properly installed, and gas plug set to fire and not closed. If that all checks out ok, then I'd pull the recoil spring and see if it is all covered in dried cosmoline like mine was. Unless you're shooting black powder rounds through your fal, 20 rounds shouldn't make it dirty enough to cause stoppages.
    BUMP!

I own a few FAL rifles. Gas system needs daily love and attention. Do not forget to check the gas port.
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by iansstud View Post
    ALSO!!!

I found a Great way to re-install the buffertube spring!!!

I use a walmart cleaning kit rod the cheapo ones with the plastic handle. I put the nut on the cleaning rod, then insert the rod down the spring, and push untill it contacts the tube. I can spin the whole thing untill it catches, or use my fingers to start it.

Works great!!! And I can take it off 90% with the screw driver and then incert the cleaning rod and do the rest by hand. No springs to fly out, no mess, no trouble at all!!! I think the kit was $8.99 at walmart and comes with all the cleaning stuff too!! Ive had it for 3 years now and keep comeing up with uses!!!
    Cool tip!

Thinking about your problem, I remembered that I had a similar issue that was caused by the "rat-tail" retaining pin was really worn. Over time, the rat tail began to deform and then outright bend during firing. Took days to figure it out.

Also, check that the locking shoulder is correctly sized for your bolt. I ran into that problem once with an Entreprise rec.
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Also, check that the locking shoulder is correctly sized for your bolt. I ran into that problem once with an Entreprise rec.
    I have never built a FAL so Im not sure how to check this? do you mean check the headspacing? or does the locking shoulder do something other then lock the bolt into battery?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.