Gunco Forums banner

CAI FAL what do you guys think

16K views 35 replies 25 participants last post by  bellson 
#1 ·
FAL R1A1 Sporter 308 rifle by CAI, synthetic stock, 22in barrel w/ muzzlebrake.

Ok so I found these on J&G going up there this weekend and I thinking about getting one I have never own a FAL what do you experts know about them good price ? how well do they shoot ? should I save up for a better FAL ?

I would like to just buy one for now dont think I will get into building FAL's yet so what do you think should I get one?

#2 ·
I bought one 5 years ago and love it. Shoots well out to 600 yards - thought I did change the rear sight for the smaller peep.

#6 ·
Good man! Make your mind up, do the purchase and ask for forgivness later!!!!
Heck, they always give in in the end. Well most of the time! Well sometimes. Duh, good luck.
Bill
(proud contributer to 2 x wives, house, cars, jewells, and well, see you in the soup line)

#25 ·
Having owned several CAI FALs, I think they work just fine. I have done some things to mine over the years to improve things. Mostly bareel timing, sights, and furniture. Some trigger work too.

If the rifle were priced at say, $899 I would jump on it. But at $3499, I suggest that you buy a "factory custom" DSA FAL. For that kind of money, you might be able to get two. And I can guarantee that there is no risk, and the rifle will shoot straight...

Regards

#9 ·
I purchased mine from a Gunco member a few years ago. It's a CAI build and it has worked flawlessly, very accurate.

Thanks pard'ner (you know who you are!!!)

#11 ·
it is difficult to not buy a FAL!

i am in the same boat with the CETME. normally i would build it but kits are expensive and barrels are extra cost thanks to our idiot government cutting the barrels up. it looks to be less expensive to buy or trade for a century build and sort it out as you go these days.

i figure the odds of the FAL being "good" are pretty good. you may have to do some problem sorting to get it to run proper. and worst case-- i think J&G is pretty good about returns. i would call them and get their return policies before hand just in case they do send a turkey.

that is a good price on a FAL!

#13 ·
Depends on the AK and who the subcontracter was that built it for CIA.
I've had 2 good Yugos, one required a very minor tweak that CIA handled promptly.
One WASR of mine needed an OOTB repair that was not CIAs fault but rather a Romainian worker.
My 1st C93 was built on a Monday after a drunken weekend and CIA replaced it outright for another. The 2nd C93 was fine.

#16 ·
Does it matter whether you get inch or metric?

#17 ·
I lived with a C1A1 for quite awhile and if I remember correctly the differences were minor with the exception of part interchangeability. The metric prints were converted to inch as close as possible . The inch pattern does allow for the charging handle to be folded and that is nice. The C1A1 could have the trigger guard swung up so you could keep your mitts on in cold weather.Magazines do not interchange. You probably can't go wrong with either version although I'm partial to the Canadian one. Can't own one but still like them.

#19 ·
i have never owned a century built FAL( L1A1) until last friday.
that said, about 1/2 the FAL'S i own are built on century receivers. they all run great.
i have some built on Coonan, Springfield, Imbel receivers. it is getting late to be building Fal's/L1A1 so, i would be buying a couple of already built FAL's if i didn't own some.
IMHO
ron

#20 ·
One big difference is that the inch pattern mags are,,or at least used to be 1/3 the price of metric ones. I don't know if that still holds true or not ? Shit I bought some like new one's from Century when I got the FAL and with the volume discount I was getting them for 3.99 ea buying 10 at a time,I'm sure there not that now though! The FAL at that time I paid 429 for delivered.

Only damn bad thing about a FAL is AMMO,,,there just so damn fun to shoot and shoot so good!!!! Ya just can't stop!! Sadly when I was broke and waiting for a disability determination,,for years,, I had to sell it to keep a roof over my head,,,DRAT!!!! Oh Well, we've all been there,,,,

Kiss half of the brass bye bye too if you reload, FAL'S beat up cases pretty good, but I'm sure you already know that.

#22 ·
Kiss half of the brass bye bye too if you reload, FAL'S beat up cases pretty good, but I'm sure you already know that.
I found that a little judicious use of electrical tape on the rear of the ejection port helps mitigate that. From my experience I'm only losing maybe one in forty or fifty.

#21 ·
i had three FALs i bought back in the late 80s early 90s two metrics and one aussie inch pattern . ironically i think i paid more for the inch than the metrics-- the metrics were $240 each with the tri-lux scope-- these were military surplus too not century re-builds.

i think i paid close to $300 for the inch pattern with no scope-- thought i got burned. LOL! they were all semi. probably could have got a full auto one for the same price not counting tax stamp fee--

when my boys grew up i they got um.

only problem i can recall is they ate up that 308 ammo!

damn this is an old thread-- LOL

now a CAI out shooting a DSA? i'll have to SEE that--

#27 ·
I have two FALs. A Century and an Israeli Heavy Barrel built on an Imbell receiver. Truth be told, the Century is more accurate. But neither of them have ever failed to fire, failed to eject or failed to go to battery. There's an adjutment on the forward end of the gas piston tube that dials down the pressure so the spent shell don't get as damaged or flung into the next county. My badly dinged shells get run through a die and then I reload and use in a bolt-action. Most of the time after being fired in the bolt-action, the ding's no longer there.
As for price; It's a 5-600 dollar gun. I wouldn't sell mine for today's prices and I wouldn't buy at todays prices. There's other ways of getting into a 7.62 semi-auto. With today's prices what they are, I think I'd go with a wholesale SpringField
M1A. I think with 2K or more for a FAL, I might have 'buyer's remorse'.
Hunter

#29 ·
Well, if you really have a FAL for sale (as opposed to kidding around) along with 10 mags for $500 ish, let me know! I will send you the "Kalifornia Kit" and you can sell it to me...Hell, I will even pay you to disassemble the mags into "Kalifornia Kits"....

Seriously, you want to sell one?

#34 ·
Had a couple of their L1A1's too. One worked fine, but had to put a new hinge pin on one because the action would open when I fired it. After the new pin no problems. Sold them because I like my SA Inc M!A with all USGI parts better, it is more comfortable to shoot, but that just might be me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.