Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need Help...Eating Humble Pie....

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default Need Help...Eating Humble Pie....

Long story, Short story....

I have long defended Century FN-FAL and L1A1 rifles. I personally have had good luck with them, and have found them to be a very acceptably accurate and reliable rifle...

However; I had fit both of mine (an L1A1 and an SA FAL) with optics and NEVER used the iron sights at all. OOPS!

My partner, JRS on this forum, and I took our FAL's out without optics for the first time two weeks ago. Lo and Behold! They shoot extremely to the left. Even after cranking the sights all the way over to compensate, they are still shooting left....Some quick reading and research indicated that the barrels may not have been timed correctly....Removed handguards...and even with "issue eyeballs" it is obvious that they are 2-4 degrees off....So, Humble Pie sucks. Century is populated by damned hairy apes with wrenches.

Here is what I need to find:

EITHER:

1. A FAL receiver wrench for rent or purchase.

2. A "real" FFL holding Gunsmith who will take care of three FALs for a decent price.

PLEASE!!!!! Someone give me an option. The friggen wrenches are listing for $100 or more these days. I wish I had never sold mine.

HELP!!!!!!!!
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I have a wrench, but guess what? It doesn't fit century receivers. They are thicker than the originals. It fits fine on an Imbel.
    (check your PM's)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom View Post
    I have a wrench, but guess what? It doesn't fit century receivers. They are thicker than the originals. It fits fine on an Imbel.
    (check your PM's)
    Ya...I'm aware of that issue. Some wrenches (the good one as it turns out) just do not fit the Century....Two of the three affected FALs are later manufacture, and your wrench may fit those. I know what to look at and measure, I will check it today and get back to you. In any case, thanks! You are a good guy for at least offering....I'm beginning to think that I (we) would be best off sending these to DSA and paying the $$$$ to get them corrected.

Damned Hairy Apes!!!!! It's times like this that I remember the saying "No good deed goes unpunished"...This is what I get for actually sticking up for Century.

To all those who I influenced....I am sorry!
    Imagine whirled peas

Bellson

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)

Not sure if it will help or not, but Rich at CGW built my FAL back in 2003. It is very accurate and looks nice too. Anyways, I checked and his site still shows gunsmithing services for the FAL. He is in Nevada, an FFL holder, and for shipping your FAL in for repair you can have it shipped direct back to you after the repair is done. Here is a link to CGW's site FAL General Gunsmithing Services - there is a number listed on the site if you want to call and ask what it would cost to have your FAL's fixed.
    I'm not affiliated with CGW in any way other than being a happy customer. Maybe it would work out for you with what your wanting to do, if for some reason you can't locate the tools to DIY.

Alternatively you could check out GunThings.com, Military Small Arms Parts Headquarters!  FNFAL, L1A1, 1919, AK, Galil and go to the FNFAL&L1A1 section. There is a receiver wrench drawing if you want to make your own, and IIRC they also sell a receiver wrench on their site.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Thanks Sniper!

That is what I was looking for, a name, and a recommendation. The work is not all that hard if you have the proper tools....I just don't have them anymore...
    Imagine whirled peas

Bellson

jrs
    Feedback Score

Thanks for the info sniper. CGW looks good and is close since we're in the PRK. Might just have to take a drive.

/smacks bellson upside the head
    mumbles about Century is a good deal

Just kidding.
    jrs
    --
    "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.", Will Durant

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.", Edmund Burke

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)

bellson and jrs - Well hopefully the info will be of help. Here is a pic of me with mine (pic is from early 2004).

The one in the above pic was the first Rhodesian camo pattern (looks like the Rhodesian uniform) that Rich did. I do love shooting that FAL.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Well hell.....

Just called CGW. Spoke with the owner. He will not touch Century at all. He was really nice about it, and recommended the following:

1. Send it to DSA
    2. Ask DSA to replace the barrels with new ones.
    3. Then the Century could be trusted.

His thought at least matched mine, that the barrels are probably a bit loose. He explained that the last one he did, he had to pean the barrel shoulder and it came back like a boomerang a few times until he replaced the barrel at his own expense...That is why he will not touch them. Hard to blame him...

He had good things to say about DSA and their services, and apologized a number of times. So; Honest, Helpful, and Professional. I think I'll do some business with him later...

Thanks again for the recommendation Sniper. It looks like DSA is the right answer.

BTW: Love that Rhody Camo.....Nice Rifle.
    Imagine whirled peas

Bellson

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

don't feel bad i would have said the same thing about their FAL's as the few i have seen have been OK.

but that has been a while---things change and they shipped some furbar's.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)

Bellson - Let us know what DSA says. Hopefully you can get your FAL's squared away.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.