Gunco Forums banner

My FN-FAL w/Scope Won't Reach 600 Yards

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  jrs 
#1 ·
That's right folks, I'm using a Burris Tactical Scope (3X9 Target Turrets) and I bottom out at 500 yards (+ - 12 clicks).

What to do...

Well, I took a DSA (heavy duty) top cover/scope mount and machined approximatley 7" off the Picatiny slots from the cover. Then I mounted a 20 MOA Tikka scope mount ( it's has a flat bottom surface) to the DSA top cover and guess what?

Yep, I got all the extra elevation I need to hit the 600 yard target and beyond.

Although I have only shot 500 yards with this new setup, I still have plenty of elevation (and I mean plenty) to do damage @ 600 yards plus.

This was a real easy fix to the problem. The DSA top cover and 20 MOA scope mount have been bead blasted and is awaiting painting with Gun Kote Flat Black.

Once painted, I'll try to remember to post pictures of the completed project so everyone can see what it looks like.

And yes, I'm pumped to get everything done and do some mid-range (600yard) shooting.

Here are some pictures of the top cover and scope mount.

See less See more
#2 ·
That 20MOA mount should give you plenty of elevation. Are you using an XTR scope? How many elevation clicks does it have. It would be nice if you could still have 5-10 clicks under 100yds and all of the rest of them for elevation and long shots and still reach 1000.

#4 ·
I really don't remember what model the scope is, but after the work, I had to click down around 96 clicks (two full rotations of the turret, 1/4" per click) to hit POA @ 100 yards.

For hitting a target @ 300 yards I used 11 clicks up from my 100 yard zero. For 400 yards, it was 33 clicks up ( I need to recheck this) and for 500 yards it was 48 clicks.

So I'm sure that I have enough clicks for 600+ yards.

Here are some (washed out) pictures of the scope.

#5 ·
I have a similar dust cover mount that I may do same. I can hit head size steel plates at 300 with boring regularity, I need to take it to the new 500m range and see what happens. If I need more clicks I'll try your method. Thanks for the tip.

#7 ·
Went to the range yesterday, I didnt run out of clicks at 500m, but I couldnt get it to focus for shit on 9 power. This is an inexpensive Simmons. I want a new scope. What can I get, mil-dot, decent, for around $300. I may start a new thread on this subject.

#8 ·
I think the MIL-DOT Millet's are about $350 or so. Good scopes if you like MIL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.