Gunco Forums banner

I wish I had an FAL

6K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  dario541 
#1 ·
My son has an FAL. I have shot it and it is extremely accurate. I wish I had one, but, it is probably too late for me now. I do consider this rifle to be one of the best rifles for whatever you may need a rifle for. I just waited a little too long and now it will probably be next to impossible to ever obtain one. I did tell him that I am first in line if he ever wants to sell it, but, so far he hasn't shown any signs of doing that. And, he shouldn't! There is not much better!

#2 ·
#4 ·
The only problem I have with my FAL is that is extremely brutal on brass.

I like to reload for the FAL but (at least mine) I have to look at each round as a loss. So it's load once, fire once and recycle (scrap) the cases.

Mine is very accurate at least out to 600 yards but the one time use of cases limits my shooting it. And yes, mine has a tight headspace so that's not the problem.

It's the nature of the beast (at least mine).

#5 ·
Is it the rim that's getting beat up from slamming the side of the receiver on ejection? I've seen that happen with mine and have gotten it somewhat better by adjusting the gas system a bit. I shoot mostly non reloadable ammo, but I can see that being a problem with good reloadable brass.

Have you tried adjusting the gas system? May have to go single shot mode when you're just punching holes for accuracy loads.

#7 ·
Thanks for the info, but pennies are in short supply right now. My wife just spent 19 days in the hospital with heart problems, kidney failure, cellulitis, pneumonia and the flu. She is now at home recovering but she needs lots of medicine and , although we do have Medicare, the medicine is still expensive.
So, I appreciate everybody's interest, but, I will have to wait a bit to purchase any other firearms.

#9 ·
I love the FAL. I came across one in Iraq and was honestly thinking about how I wold get it back. Sadly it didnt work out. I saw one at my Fun Store but it was about 3 months worth of house payment to buy it which is no bueno so I think i will keep my eyes out and maybe save some $$$ to get my hands on one... That or a PTR 91. I love those things.

#12 ·
One of my favorite rifles. mine has a sturdy topcover scopemount, and i can do head shots at 500 yds. It would do better but I cant shoot any better than that. in the hands of my friend the former Marine sniper its like magic. Really something to behold to see him clanking a 12'' gong at 700 yds.

#13 ·
way back in the day we were doing our thing way back in "boonie" land , we had to meet up with some south african mercs.

some of them could sort of speak english kinda--LOL anyway they all carried FNFAL rifles.

the could have used m16s, HKs or AKs --the FNFAL was their baby--

i have had several over the years metrics, inch pattern , 58s -- i bought one of the metrics at a gun show in the 80s for $220 with the tri-lux scops set up and a box of mags -(think big box)-LOL

i won't say the FN-FAL is not without a few distractions though most can be tuned out of the system.

the biggest problem with one today ain't the weapon it is it shoots rather expensive

7.62x51 nato ammo.

so if you shoot um like we did decades ago the ammo is going to be far more costly than the rifle itself.

back then surplus ammo was everywhere and dirt cheap. today 5.56 is going for nearly $1 ROUND-- a $1,700 FNFAL is not unreasonable as it is a lot of iron for the $$ today. the problem today is the ammo. it is a wee bit late to be stocking up on .308 less you won a lotto recently.

#15 ·
I do not consider myself a marksman, but, the one FAL I had a chance to shoot was easy to get good groups. If I had that one or one like it, I would be very happy. I might even trade away a couple of my other toys (ha, ha, just kidding!). But, I was impressed with the one I got to target shoot with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.