Gunco Forums banner

What MilSurp Rifles Have You Used In Competition...

10K views 24 replies 22 participants last post by  gabriel7384 
#1 ·
...and have found to be the most competitive?

I've only used my M1 Garand and M1903A3. I would like to use my Swiss K31, Swedish Mauser M96, German Mauser K98 and Finnish M39.

#4 ·
Haven't been in any competition except with self.
Which rifle I am using and how I am shooting depends on how good I do.
In my practice I try to use the same potion and conditions as I am when hunting.
If I am just going bang-bang, it don't differ. I like my new 308 Rossi, My Gibbs 2A1 and the 1917 LSA #1mklll* with the short stock.
j-man

#8 ·
To me, Milsurp means as issued (unless you have a full auto M16, FAL or what ever, it doesn't count).

I have used (depending on the competition) 1903A3, M1 Garand, No4/MK1* Enfield, K98k Mauser. The 1903A3 has been consistantly more competitve than any of the other rifles. Second would be the No4/Mk1* Enfield.

You really have to work the bolt and have the reload down to be competitive. In rapid fire the M1 Garand has a very small advantage as bolt manipulation isn't required. But the M1 Garand can't beat the 1903A3 for accuracy.

Just my .02....

#9 ·
K31 rifles, but they demand good eyes or good Optometrists

I've shot the Garand more than anything else.

Amongst the bolt actions, I've shot the Swiss K31 a lot, the 1903 a good bit, the British #4 Mk1 and #5 a bit, and occasionally the Finnish M39. If you look at the results from the Civilian Marksmanship Programs Vintage Military match, the Swedish Mausers and Swiss K31 dominate. Look at who is #6:
CMP Results

CDD

#10 ·
I'm really shocked at the CMP results. Especially since the range was only 200 yards.

I shoot @200 yards, Offhand and Sitting Rapid, @300 yards, Prone Rapid, and @600 yards Prone Slow.

Using my 1903A3 - 200yds.
Offhand 97-4x
Sitting Rapid 98-5x

300yds.
Prone Rapid 89-4x

600yds.
Slow Fire 180-12x

Total 467-25x

The above scores were an "average" of 15 fired matches in 2006. Yes, I'm rated as a High Master, and no I don't compete at the National Level. But I feel that my score with my 1903A3 would be comparable to the higher scores listed in the CMP Matches.

At some time in the future, I'll have to try the CMP yardage to formulate a compatible score, not counting that it won't be under national level pressure which would count towards the score.

#11 ·
Rbthntr and I were discussing this issue last night and I have a K98 FN in 30/06 that I would like to try. I also have a M39 that I think would make a hell of a good shooter and I would like to try both of those on a competition. And I have a very nice K98k , that I would love to try; but I would have to reload some good ammo for it to find out how accurate it is.

#14 ·
The CMP results are for non-accurized rifles. For a lot of the shooters, they are shooting surplus Ball ammo in the Vintage match, and for the Springfield and Garand matches one is required to shoot Greek-made M2 Ball. The Greek-made M2 Ball shoots decently, but extraction is sticky, which has caused me to 'save' rounds in the Springfield rapid fire stages.

CDD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.